The Student Room Group

PLEASE help me pick a uni!

Right

Unconditionals:

Sheffield - Business Management
UEA - Economics

Been to see both and while Sheffield is the better uni (redbrick russell) I LOVED UEA's campus so much!

UEA also scores a lot higher than sheffield on the league tables - does this carry any weight?

Which one would you pick and why?

thanks!!
If you loved UEA, I'd choose there!

No point going somewhere that you're not completely happy just because it's a redbrick!
Reply 2
UEA!!! There's a frickin LAKE on campus!!!! (I'm disgustingly biased because I've already accepted a place there)

Rankings are an indicator of results so I would say they do matter in terms of course and post-grad prospects, but ultimately you've really got to choose the uni you're going to get the most out of, and that takes into account the social aspects of a uni and how much you like the course content as much as anything else.

I will say though, that although Sheffield is a russell group uni, UEA is a 1994 group uni - the 1994 group also includes Sussex, Bath, York and Durham among others so it's really not too shabby at all :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm pretty knowledgeable on both of these (I was offered a place at Sheffield and also know the UEA well) but I would personally suggest UEA.

I live quite close to Norwich, and can honestly tell you that I have never heard a bad word about the university. It's a university on the rise, with great research ratings and strong courses in many different fields. This year my friend dropped out of Edinburgh to come to the UEA, she liked it that much!

As a city Norwich is very green, has good retail outlets and surprisingly good nightlife. Because it's campus based, you'll probably have a better sense of community than at Sheffield.

And as stated above, take the "Russell Group" situation with a pinch of salt. The 1994 group still includes Bath, York, St Andrews, Durham, Lancaster, Exeter and Sussex to name but a few. They're still equal to many RG institutions, just smaller :smile:
Reply 4
Based on RAE 2008, both Sheffield and UEA are good at economics. But Sheffield performed much better in business management area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending