The Student Room Group

Do YOU know who Joseph Kony is?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by POWW!
‎"I want to be the very best..That no one ever was...To catch them is my real test...To train them is my cause" - Kony

Sing it brother.

No offense but Kony-mon has been off air for 25yrs so why are talking about it now?
Original post by cgraham15
To find out if the videos are making an impact yet, have YOU heard of Joseph Kony?

Hopefully most people answer "Yes", but if you answer "No" then watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&feature=share

Then share it :smile: and tell everyone.

don't have half an hour to waste..
****ing Facebook advertisement. -.-

If I'm honest, no I didn't know him before. I'm weary of this. People who don't care suddenly care and it's because they're being spoonfed info and being told it's cool to care. I had an old friend who doesn't know the difference between Tory and Labour and took awhile to realise Obama wasn't a Hollywood actor talk to me about Kony yesterday. That films so American I am suspicious however Kony does indeed appear to be a douche and this activist campaign may just be harmless in the name of good..
Original post by SophiaKeuning
****ing Facebook advertisement. -.-

If I'm honest, no I didn't know him before. I'm weary of this. People who don't care suddenly care and it's because they're being spoonfed info and being told it's cool to care. I had an old friend who doesn't know the difference between Tory and Labour and took awhile to realise Obama wasn't a Hollywood actor talk to me about Kony yesterday. That films so American I am suspicious however Kony does indeed appear to be a douche and this activist campaign may just be harmless in the name of good..

annoying isn't it?

everyone care about this kony, who knows how many others like him are out there...
but it's just a way to feel satisfied and think you've done enough.
Original post by Miracle Day
Hitler never met most of the jews he murdered. You're scum.

Africa gained indapendance from the UK less than a hundred years ago.

I never mentioned independence, I mentioned the start of our ventures in Africa. Some countries only gained independence 50 years ago.
Original post by standreams
I negged you. Sorry, as I've seen other threads of yours which I agree with, but on this one you're simply wrong. Nothing personal. The Ugandan army and SPLA use child soldiers in order to fight Kony's LRA (who also use child soldiers). Invisible Children advocate funding the Ugandan army and the SPLA in order to fight Kony....on the basis that he is a 'bad guy' who uses child soldiers. VERY flawed logic. There are photos available of Kony2012's founders posing with weapons and Ugandan army soldiers. Not acceptable in any way, shape or form. I have never heard of any mainstream charity endorsing military action and most charities would not consider this within their remit, choosing instead to focus on short and long term humanitarian objectives.

Clearly a case where two wrongs do not make a right and not comparable in any way to British actions in WWII.

The message Invisible Children is putting out ('Kony is bad. Let's stop him') is a good one. The ways they propose doing so are, put simplistically, 'bad'. Furthermore, they have a very dubious financial record and are diverting money away from far more cost-effective, experienced and mature charities which spend their money and use their resources helping people on the ground rather than on expensive viral campaigning (I believe the figure for Invisible Children is 31% of income going to help on the ground, versus 85%+ for Save the Children, the Red Cross etc).

Invisible Children is not evil, and they are no Kony. However, they are a very flawed organisation and not one I'd wish to support in any form. If you want to help the situation in Northern Uganda/DRC/South Sudan, there are other charities far better placed to do so.

I'm glad there's someome intelligent enough to make a good point on why so many of us, don't care. There is two sides to every story and this proves it.

Thank you on the behalf of those not taken in and sceptical of this movement.
Who cares about a bunch of africans killing and raping each other.This has been going on for years, settling arguments with machetes. Unless there is oil or something that could make UK PLC richer they are not worth any blood and treasure. We have old people too frightened to put the heating on, we have homeless men freezing to death in parks. I don't hear any whining from the liberal vermin about them. But they are white and british so obviously must be bad.

The govenrnment are making cuts into public services, serious austerity measures which are needed.I would argue they don't go far enough,but in this climate every penny should go on our own.Especially the vunerable.

Let god sort them out.Iam off to watch zulu.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GunnerBill
Why are there 6 threads in TSR about the same thing?

The liberals are allowed to run riot on here that why.If I spammed the latest BNP speech I would suggest at best all but one of the threads would be locked. Foreigners are more important you see.
Original post by MutantGecko
Hitler not only wanted to kill the Jews, but he also went ahead and did it.

bit of a difference to just not caring about some african kids? don't you think?

And you don't care about what Hitler did? This man has made 60k children kill their parents and join him in a life of chaos.
And you don't care about what Hitler did? This man has made 60k children kill their parents and join him in a life of chaos.

i don't really care about what hitler did.. why should i? I'm half jewish and my dad is always telling me the horrors about growing up during the war (yes he's old) but i still don't care.

and so? **** happens whats your point?

I'm happy for you though, that you don't seem to have anything of real importance to care about so you are following this trend. well done.
I will say the same thing I tweeted to Justin Bieber.

1) Watch a 30 minute video about Joseph Kony.
2) Automatically get a degree in Central African politics after watching the video on Joseph Kony.
3) Buy a bracelet to solve the problem.

I think raising awareness is great and the video has to be one of the most inspirational things I have ever seen. However I think any kind of intervention at the moment is just going to make it worse so I'm strongly opposes to the campaign.
i don't really care about what hitler did.. why should i? I'm half jewish and my dad is always telling me the horrors about growing up during the war (yes he's old) but i still don't care.

and so? **** happens whats your point?

I'm happy for you though, that you don't seem to have anything of real importance to care about so you are following this trend. well done.

I'm a Christian. And a decent human being. Hence why I care about others. I have real life issues, which I worry about, but that doesn't mean I don't care about others. You're just one of those heartless scumbags.
I'm a Christian. And a decent human being. Hence why I care about others. I have real life issues, which I worry about, but that doesn't mean I don't care about others. You're just one of those heartless scumbags.

yes because calling people who don't share the same views as you a 'heartless scumbag' is something a decent human being would do?
yes because calling people who don't share the same views as you a 'heartless scumbag' is something a decent human being would do?

Hitler had different views. You're saying calling him a scumbag is something a decent human being would do? I'm going to put down your wicked cognitive processes as that you've had a prefrontal lobotomy but you don't know about it.

Thanks.
Hitler had different views. You're saying calling him a scumbag is something a decent human being would do? I'm going to put down your wicked cognitive processes as that you've had a prefrontal lobotomy but you don't know about it.

Thanks.

I wasn't talking about Hitler.

actually I'm just completley lost at the moment.
Original post by standreams
I negged you. Sorry, as I've seen other threads of yours which I agree with, but on this one you're simply wrong. Nothing personal. The Ugandan army and SPLA use child soldiers in order to fight Kony's LRA (who also use child soldiers). Invisible Children advocate funding the Ugandan army and the SPLA in order to fight Kony....on the basis that he is a 'bad guy' who uses child soldiers. VERY flawed logic. There are photos available of Kony2012's founders posing with weapons and Ugandan army soldiers. Not acceptable in any way, shape or form. I have never heard of any mainstream charity endorsing military action and most charities would not consider this within their remit, choosing instead to focus on short and long term humanitarian objectives.

Clearly a case where two wrongs do not make a right and not comparable in any way to British actions in WWII.

The message Invisible Children is putting out ('Kony is bad. Let's stop him') is a good one. The ways they propose doing so are, put simplistically, 'bad'. Furthermore, they have a very dubious financial record and are diverting money away from far more cost-effective, experienced and mature charities which spend their money and use their resources helping people on the ground rather than on expensive viral campaigning (I believe the figure for Invisible Children is 31% of income going to help on the ground, versus 85%+ for Save the Children, the Red Cross etc).

Invisible Children is not evil, and they are no Kony. However, they are a very flawed organisation and not one I'd wish to support in any form. If you want to help the situation in Northern Uganda/DRC/South Sudan, there are other charities far better placed to do so.

Also may I add that the charity is advocating military intervention in the form off training and advising the Ugandan army, and so is indirectly helping to kill the very same child soldiers they aim to save, as it will be child soldiers that the Ugandan army will have to face and kill to get to Kony.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 96
A hero being thrown under the bus by Western media and wannabee activists.
Reply 97
Original post by the mezzil
Also may I add that the charity is advocating military intervention in the form off training and advising the Ugandan army, and so is indirectly helping to kill the very same child soldiers they aim to save, as it will be child soldiers that the Ugandan army will have to face and kill to get to Koby.

:confused:
Wait. It isn't her?

420987_10150652330987295_507222294_8817593_301728952_n.jpg
Original post by *Hakz*
:confused:

spelling error, sorry:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending