The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL2 ~ 21 May 2012 ~ AS Biology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Mocking_bird
x

Can you please bullet point your notes for the symplast and apoplast pathway please! Have very little notes on them and i think its going to be a 6marker
Original post by sophiakhan
can someone explain the immunological comparison of proteins please.

Lets say we want to compare humans (species A) with chimps (C) and a goldfish (D), we would have to do this via another species, such as a rabbit (B).

- The blood plasma of any species contains a protein called albumin.
- The albumin from A will be removed and injected into B.
- B will produce antibodies against the antigens on the surface of the protein (albumin.)
- The antibodies from B are collected and mixed with samples of albumin from species C and D.
- The antibodies will bind to complimentary antigens in the samples of albumin, producing a precipitate.
- The greater the number of complimentary antigens, the more precipitate is formed, so the more closely related the species are.
- Therefore from our example, A will be most closely related to C.

If that still doesnt make sense let me know :smile:

Original post by EffKayy
Can you please bullet point your notes for the symplast and apoplast pathway please! Have very little notes on them and i think its going to be a 6marker

Apoplast:
- This is the movement of water through the cellulose cell wall of adjacent cells.
- Water moves by cohesion (Attraction of water molecules to each other.)
- The cell walls are fully permeable across the root except for the endodermis.
- The impermeable casparian strip in the cell walls of the endodermis prevents passage of water and ions via apoplast.
- Therefore water and ions are forced to pass through the symplast pathway into cells
- This allows for some control of movement of water and ions in xylem.

Symplast:
- Movement of water through the cytoplasm in the cells, and through the plasmodesmata connecting cells.
- Water moves by osmosis.

Both of these occur down a water potential gradient and through the cortex cells.
(edited 11 years ago)
Lets say we want to compare humans (species A) with chimps (C) and a goldfish (D), we would have to do this via another species, such as a rabbit (B).

- The blood plasma of any species contains a protein called albumin.
- The albumin from A will be removed and injected into B.
- B will produce antibodies against the antigens on the surface of the protein (albumin.)
- The antibodies from B are collected and mixed with samples of albumin from species C and D.
- The antibodies will bind to complimentary antigens in the samples of albumin, producing a precipitate.
- The greater the number of similar antigens, the more precipitate is formed, so the more closely related the species are.
- Therefore from our example, A will be most closely related to C.

If that still doesnt make sense let me know :smile:

Apoplast:
- This is the movement of water through the cellulose cell wall of adjacent cells.
- Water moves by cohesion (Attraction of water molecules to each other.)
- The cell walls are fully permeable across the root except for the endodermis.
- The impermeable casparian strip in the cell walls of the endodermis prevents passage of water and ions via apoplast.
- Therefore water and ions are forced to pass through the symplast pathway into cells
- This allows for some control of movement of water and ions in xylem.

Symplast:
- Movement of water through the cytoplasm in the cells, and through the plasmodesmata connecting cells.
- Water moves by osmosis.

Both of these occur down a water potential gradient and through the cortex cells.

Oh i get it now thankyou so much:smile:
Reply 983
x

Thank you so much you're a star!
Can we do questions and answers later? After I've revised a bit :wink: hahaha
It's much easier to get full ums in this, so I hope I can do that - seen as though I messed up BIOL6X, oh dear.. =(
Reply 984
I took this exam in Jan 2012 and managed to get an A. My UMS was 130/140. So if there's any advice I can give, it would be to go through the legacy papers from june 05 onwards, and if you have the AQA Biology AS: Student's Book by Glenn Toole and Susan Toole, then attempt all the HSW and APP q's. You may notice a trend of similar questions. These are most likely to come up but in different scenario forms. Good luck!
Original post by sophiakhan
Oh i get it now thankyou so much:smile:

You're welcome :biggrin:

Original post by EffKayy
It's much easier to get full ums in this, so I hope I can do that - seen as though I messed up BIOL6X, oh dear.. =(

For sure !
& Is that the empa? Was it tricky? :frown:

--------------------------
Also, does anyone know if the nelsons thorne book (or even just the exam style questions) is available anywhere on the interwebs? I was planning on taking it out the college library today but forgot.. woops.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EffKayy

if its that easy, then get full ums.

For sure !

Also, does anyone know if the nelsons thorne book (or even just the exam style questions) is available anywhere on the interwebs? I was planning on taking it out the college library today but forgot.. woops.

hey, later tonight can we do some questions again, i have my exam monday
Original post by EffKayy
Bad times.

How you feeling about this exam - prepared?

Almost finished prep, just gotta do the Jan12 paper :colone:
Original post by dongonaeatu
hey, later tonight can we do some questions again, i have my exam monday

We all have the exam monday. :erm:

I'll be doing some with Effkayy so feel free to answer them too.
Reply 990

For sure !

Yeah task 3 was awful. You did the ISA didn't you ? How did you do?

Original post by dongonaeatu
if its that easy, then get full ums.

Hopefuly I will. I seriously cannot be asked with your sarcastic/pathetic comments and you annoying the **** out of people, i.e. mockingbird. If you haven't got anything decent to say piss the **** off. And we all have the exam on monday, awks.
/rantover.
We all have the exam monday. :erm:

I'll be doing some with Effkayy so feel free to answer them too.

ok thank you. I had my maths exam today. I think i got a B. Hopefully i can better grades, its just i always seem to screw up in exams :frown:
Original post by EffKayy
Yeah task 3 was awful. You did the ISA didn't you ? How did you do?

Hopefuly I will. I seriously cannot be asked with your sarcastic/pathetic comments and you annoying the **** out of people, i.e. mockingbird. If you haven't got anything decent to say piss the **** off. And we all have the exam on monday, awks.
/rantover.

There's no need for that attitude.
Reply 993
Original post by swiftylol
Almost finished prep, just gotta do the Jan12 paper :colone:

I liked the jan12 paper, got 79/85 which was 140 :smile:

How did the unit 1 resit go? (I stalked the thread ¬_¬ ) haha

EDIT: Negged? K. lol
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EffKayy
I liked the jan12 paper, got 79/85 which was 140 :smile:

How did the unit 1 resit go? (I stalked the thread ¬_¬ ) haha

One of the biology teachers at my college wrote the Jan 12 paper. But, he's known for his "fair" papers, so i'm just really hoping the person who writes ours is fair!
Reply 995
Can anyone explain the phases of mitosis, the cell cycle and interphase?
Reply 996
Original post by Prijosh
I took this exam in Jan 2012 and managed to get an A. My UMS was 130/140. So if there's any advice I can give, it would be to go through the legacy papers from june 05 onwards, and if you have the AQA Biology AS: Student's Book by Glenn Toole and Susan Toole, then attempt all the HSW and APP q's. You may notice a trend of similar questions. These are most likely to come up but in different scenario forms. Good luck!

hey, where can I find these legacy papers?
Original post by Madara
Can anyone explain the phases of mitosis, the cell cycle and interphase?

In the cell cycle, its a continuous cycle of nuclear and cell division separated by periods of cell growth.

Interphase
The cell carries out its normal cellular functions but at the end of interphase it prepares for nuclear divison in the following ways:
1) Increase in protein synthesis
2) Dna replication occurs so DNA content is doubled
3) Cell organelles replicate (e.g mitochondria and ATP content is increased as cell division is an active process)

Mitosis
Mitosis occurs after interphase and is divided into 4 sections (PMAT - Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase and Telophase). It produces 2 cells which are genetically identical.

Prophase
- Chromosomes form and each chromosomes consist of 2 identical sister chromatids joined by a centromere.
- Each chromosome shortens and thickens.
- Centrioles move to opposite poles
- Nuclear membrane breaks down.

Metaphase
- Centrioles forms spindle fibre across the cell.
- Each chromosome moves to the equater (Think "met" = meet; so meet at equater).
- The spindle fibre attaches to the chromosome via the centromere.

Anaphase
- Spindle fibres contract and shorten.
- This breaks the centromere, pulling sister chromatids to opposite poles

Telophase
- Chromatids are at opposide poles and begin to uncoil
- The nuclear membrane reforms forming 2 cells
- The 2 cells are genetically identical (as it was identical sister chromatids which were pulled apart, so each cell contains the same).

Visual:

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
I assume most people are near at 100% with their revision, so I'll post some questions. :smile:

1) What is a species? (2)

2) Describe the part played by proteins in the plasma in returning tissue fluid to the capillary. (3)

3) Explain how the structure of the endodermis affects the passage of water by the apoplast pathway. (3)

4) During exercise, the rate of respiration of muscle cells increases. Explain what causes human haemoglobin to unload more oxygen to these cells. (4)

5) Describe the structure of a cellulose molecule and explain how cellulose is adapted for its function in cells. (6)
Reply 999
Does anybody have a link to the January BIO2 2012 paper and/or the markscheme too, please?
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending