The Student Room Group

If everyone supported their local team...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
In the premier league? Norwich.

map of premier league clubs

But just because Norwich is the most "isolated", it doesn't mean that they will attract the most supporters, as you need to take the surrounding population into account (as well as other factors). Norwich isn't a large city, and much of Norfolk (and Suffolk) is rural or semi-rural, though Norfolk's population is still over 800,000.

But the population of the Tyneside conurbation alone is greater than the entire county of Norfolk (almost 900,000). Then add Northumberland, and maybe a large part of north and eastern Cumbria (for those who won't support Carlisle) , to that, and it's over 1.25 million.

Norwich will be high in the list, but not necessarily the highest. Newcastle, Sunderland, Manchester City, Manchester United and possibly Liverpool and some London teams will be higher, or as high.
Why do football fans feel like it's necessary to be so snobby about the game?

How about you just let people support whatever club they want? Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is about someone preferring to watch a certain team play and want them to win. I love football, it's a great game, great sport to watch and a great sport to play - but the whole culture built around it is just awful, not just the hooliganism immediately associated with it, I'm talking about the elitism, snobbery and mob mentality involved. You're no better than a United fan by supporting Yeovil.

When I was young, I supported United, not for any glory, not because I liked that they one all the cups - I was absolutely clueless about football. Simply because they were the first team I played as on FIFA '99 because I liked their badge and kit, and there was the lucky coincidence that SAF was being interviewed on tele after I had finished playing. Yet, I was subject to the whole 'glory hunting' debate, I was immediately branded as a Celtic fan too, because I'm Scottish and liked Man United. "The Tims of England", apparently.
Nowadays, I've drifted away from United and find myself preferring Aston Villa and Cardiff City, all 3 of those teams being in completely different countries from my own - I just don't enjoy Scottish football and that's my prerogative. It doesn't make me a bad football fan because I don't support a local team, there are just certain clubs in the world that I enjoy watching and find myself hoping they win.

Live and let live, football fans. It's none of your business why someone supports a certain club, whether that's for glory, enjoyment, locality, or a childhood connection. It simply does not matter.
I'm from Skelmersdale, we support Liverpool because my dad was born there but moved here very young, and Skelmersdale was built for the Liverpudlian soldiers coming back from the war - although technically Wigan would be our closest Premier League team - what would you say to that?
And please don't say Skem United :tongue:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Why do football fans feel like it's necessary to be so snobby about the game?

How about you just let people support whatever club they want? Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is about someone preferring to watch a certain team play and want them to win. I love football, it's a great game, great sport to watch and a great sport to play - but the whole culture built around it is just awful, not just the hooliganism immediately associated with it, I'm talking about the elitism, snobbery and mob mentality involved. You're no better than a United fan by supporting Yeovil.

When I was young, I supported United, not for any glory, not because I liked that they one all the cups - I was absolutely clueless about football. Simply because they were the first team I played as on FIFA '99 because I liked their badge and kit, and there was the lucky coincidence that SAF was being interviewed on tele after I had finished playing. Yet, I was subject to the whole 'glory hunting' debate, I was immediately branded as a Celtic fan too, because I'm Scottish and liked Man United. "The Tims of England", apparently.
Nowadays, I've drifted away from United and find myself preferring Aston Villa and Cardiff City, all 3 of those teams being in completely different countries from my own - I just don't enjoy Scottish football and that's my prerogative. It doesn't make me a bad football fan because I don't support a local team, there are just certain clubs in the world that I enjoy watching and find myself hoping they win.

Live and let live, football fans. It's none of your business why someone supports a certain club, whether that's for glory, enjoyment, locality, or a childhood connection. It simply does not matter.

/thread
Original post by OU Student
Most people I know support two teams - usually their local team (or where they were born) and another team.

Well that's just wrong IMO. You can have soft spots for other teams (for instance, I quite like to see Celtic do well, because it means Rangers are unhappy and I greatly dislike Rangers), but you can only actually support one club.
Original post by tif49
Every team should support their local team anyway and the closest PL team they have.

How did this happen that people started supporting teams on the other side of the country? Glory seekers?

The number of Man U fans suggest it is all about glory.

:yep:
My brother supports Man U yet we live on the South coast. Why?
And guess which team my other brother supports?

Spoiler

Agreed.

I support Plymouth Argyle because I was born here. (we do have a non-league team too - Plymouth Parkway) Several years ago, I was asked who I supported. When I replied Plymouth Argyle, I was called a Glory Supporter. WTF?:rolleyes: If I wanted to be a glory supporter, I would probably support someone like Man United.
Reply 67
You're no better than a United fan by supporting Yeovil.

If you are both from Yeovil, then yes, you are better than the plastic United fan.
Reply 68
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
/thread

It's because gloryhunting is bad for football.

It makes league more uneven and uncompetitive.

Imagine if everyone supported their local team.

Clubs like Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea would all lose loads of support.

Clubs like Bristol City, Plymouth Argyle, Bradford City, Coventry City etc would gain loads of support.

The league would be much more competitive and exciting.

You might see Plymouth Argyle in the Premier League.

You might see Manchester United in League One.

It would be great for football.
I'd just be happy if support for a team was from somewhere you had a connection with, such as went to school there, or lived there for a while, or your parents came from there. I've often said to Man U fans 'which part of Manchester have you got family from?'
Reply 70
The way it should be, bunch of glory hunting bent nose whoppers
Reply 71
i support Bolton because my dad is from Bolton
Reply 72
Original post by hbk4894
i support Bolton because my dad is from Bolton

That fine.

Support your local team or your dad's team.

Quick Reply

Latest