The Student Room Group

Architecture internship for students

Hi everyone,
My name is Kiki, and i am currently a first year architecture student. I am from Leicester and currently a DMU student.
Im looking to find an architecture internship or any job in that field for over the summer or even better starting now. However i look everyday online and I can not find anything in Leicester or for students.

If someone can give me an advice or direct me where to look for, it will be much appreciated.
Most architecture jobs/placements are reserved for graduates who are doing the required work placements between part 1 and part 2 degrees.

Have you tried your local planning office? They might be more helpful.
Original post by kiki.12
Hi everyone,
My name is Kiki, and i am currently a first year architecture student. I am from Leicester and currently a DMU student.
Im looking to find an architecture internship or any job in that field for over the summer or even better starting now. However i look everyday online and I can not find anything in Leicester or for students.

If someone can give me an advice or direct me where to look for, it will be much appreciated.

Hi Kiki, it's great to hear you are keen to get experience and looking at possible pathways for work experience within Architecture! 😁

As @PQ mentions, according to RIBA the pathway to become a registered Architect (with the ARB) includes completion of an accredited degree(s) at certain levels. On RIBA's website this would be as follows:
Part 1 BA (Hons) in Architecture
Part 2 MArch
Part 3 Postgraduate Diploma in Architectural Practice --- this is the 2 years of practical experience and the final part of the RIBA pathway :biggrin:

With this in mind, I think it's definitely worth reaching out to your Faculty and academic tutors for advice on how that practical experience further down the line leads into RIBA and the work experience you can take part in before that stage!⭐️

Also, to perhaps support you in reaching out to a Local Planning Office, RIBA has a community for student resources: Future Architects (architecture.com) 🏗️

You can also get in touch with our Careers Team to go through your options here at DMU! It may be worth looking into the RIBA East Midlands Mentoring programme and the Leicester Atelier which could provide links with industry as part of your studies🧑*🎓

I hope this helps!

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.
Reply 3
Original post by kiki.12
Hi everyone,

it's extremely rare to see architecture practices (apart from big firms) actively advertising for internships, I would advise reaching out to your studio tutors who are in practice (preferable) or contacting local practices via phone or email. And brush up on your software skills (or start learning if you haven't yet) and get them on your CV, your application will be much more likely to be considered if you do.

From a cursory Google search it looks like Gensler is currently accepting applications for a 2024 summer internship (link) in Birmingham, which would be commutable from Leicester if you're staying there over summer.

"Big E, little A" firms like Jacobs also offer architecture internships (none available at the moment though, not sure if the window has passed or if they will open applications later)
Original post by De Montfort University

Part 3 Postgraduate Diploma in Architectural Practice --- this is the 2 years of practical experience and the final part of the RIBA pathway

The majority of architecture students complete a year in practice between part 1 and part 2. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending