The Student Room Group
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website

Heriot-Watt accommodation 2012

The 2011 thread was recently bumped so I've started a new one.

Personally think I'll go for Leonard Horner, it's all self catered now and Leonard Horner gives the shared bathroom option.

Scroll to see replies

I'd choose Leonard Horner too. I do prefer the flat layout from Ettrick, Yarrow and Caddon, but these halls are primarily for postgraduates.. So that is not really an option. I also like that Leonard Horner is really close to the buildings. The en suite halls, especially the new halls, are a bit too expensive I think.
The reception
Heriot-Watt University
Visit website
Original post by KiaraMarissa
I'd choose Leonard Horner too. I do prefer the flat layout from Ettrick, Yarrow and Caddon, but these halls are primarily for postgraduates.. So that is not really an option. I also like that Leonard Horner is really close to the buildings. The en suite halls, especially the new halls, are a bit too expensive I think.

True. There's nothing wrong with popping them off an e-mail asking if they'd consider putting UGs in flats if there's space.

Personally think it's wrong that PGs get access to far cheaper rooms.
One thing I've just noticed, there are only about 55 shared bathroom type rooms for undergrads compared to about 1000 en-suite rooms.

That's a disgrace.
Original post by Mr Dangermouse
One thing I've just noticed, there are only about 55 shared bathroom type rooms for undergrads compared to about 1000 en-suite rooms.

That's a disgrace.

I have to agree. I'm not made of money (unfortunately). I just hope they don't put me in the new halls because there is no way I can afford £125,- per week.
Reply 5
I'm on the same boat as you guys, going for the in between accommodation. Have yous any idea whats taking so long for the uni to let us apply?

My other mates have applied for their accommodation at their chosen unis for a while now, so just wondering what the hold up is?
Reply 6
I'm not sure where I'll apply yet... definitely going self-catered though. I'm pretty anal about my food currently. :tongue:
Original post by JordanR
I'm not sure where I'll apply yet... definitely going self-catered though. I'm pretty anal about my food currently. :tongue:

Ignoring the obvious joke, it's all self catered.
Reply 8
I just applied for New Halls. I know it's way too expensive but (not to sound too snobby) I really want a clean bathroom and I know New Halls will have brand new bathrooms. Okay that sounds snobby.
My main worry is were to buy food and making sure I have the money to buy food other than baked beans :P
Reply 9
Original post by KayeGeorge
I just applied for New Halls. I know it's way too expensive but (not to sound too snobby) I really want a clean bathroom and I know New Halls will have brand new bathrooms. Okay that sounds snobby.
My main worry is were to buy food and making sure I have the money to buy food other than baked beans :P

Eating healthily is actually pretty cheap! Oats, frozen veg, frozen chicken, wholemeal bread, "reduced" fruit that goes out of date in a couple of days, etc.

I've been buying my own food for a few weeks and I'm getting about 3,200 calories a day of good food at £37 a week. Highly nutritious, too.
Reply 10
just to clariry folks, i have a conditional offer for Heriot Watt and therefore have my final exams in June. Do i have to wait until i get accepted in august to apply or should i be applying now?
Original post by stephen900
just to clariry folks, i have a conditional offer for Heriot Watt and therefore have my final exams in June. Do i have to wait until i get accepted in august to apply or should i be applying now?

I think the website says you can only apply if you have an unconditional firm offer. So I'm guessing you would apply later. But the university said that it reserves accommodation for people who will get there later on :smile:
Original post by KayeGeorge

Good.

Less competition for places in Leonard Horner.

Although I wonder about people who opt for en suite bathrooms.
Reply 13
I applied for the New Halls as my first choice about 4 weeks ago, and for the exact same reason as KayeGeorge, but I'm still waiting on a reply for them . . .has anyone else had an accommodation offer through yet? :frown:
Looks like I won't have much competition for the scummy halls :biggrin:
Original post by Kathleeen
I applied for the New Halls as my first choice about 4 weeks ago, and for the exact same reason as KayeGeorge, but I'm still waiting on a reply for them . . .has anyone else had an accommodation offer through yet? :frown:

I'm the same! But I've not heard anything back either and was beginning to worry cause it said somewhere on the website that they take 2 weeks.. hopefully we will find out soon! :biggrin:
They have started dishing out rooms now. I know 2 people who have room numbers for Robert Bryson.
Found out I'm in robert bryson yesterday, maybe they're doing each building one by one.
Reply 18
Original post by rainbowness-xo
I'm the same! But I've not heard anything back either and was beginning to worry cause it said somewhere on the website that they take 2 weeks.. hopefully we will find out soon! :biggrin:

I have literally no patience, I just want to find out now! Hopefully we won't have to wait too long :biggrin:
Original post by Kathleeen
I have literally no patience, I just want to find out now! Hopefully we won't have to wait too long :biggrin:

Same, I think I'll be more excited about going when I find out! I'm really hoping to stay in the new halls but tbh as long as I have my own bathroom I'm happy! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest