The Student Room Group

Would£ 200 a month be enough to live on at university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stalin
£100 p/w if you want a good a nightlife, £50 p/w if not.

Meh... £50/week is enough for one night of heavy drinking if you spend sensibly on food.
Original post by Barden
Meh... £50/week is enough for one night of heavy drinking if you spend sensibly on food.

I spend around £15 per night out - we average four per week. And that's in Wales - you'd need a hell of a lot more than £200 p/m to sustain a monstrous nightlife in London, Birmingham, Manchester, et cetera.

I remember being told £15 entry for a club in Birmingham and £5 for a pint.

It's silly really.
Yes that's fine but don't expect to go on a night out that much. You can easily spend £30 on a single night out.

I was going to be on £280 per month when I go to uni this September but my parents kindly said they are going to give another £120 so £400 a month which is great
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stalin
£100 p/w if you want a good a nightlife, £50 p/w if not.

Where is this you live that you only need £100pw for food and other basics plus good nightlife? it is £50 a night out minimum then £20 on food... average 4 nights out a week which is £200 plus £20 on food... you'd need £220pw which is a fair bit more than what you are suggesting :s-smilie:
absolutely. you can feed yourself on £20 a week if you're careful. there is no reason you should ever starve. £200 a month pretty much the dole.
(edited 11 years ago)
I spend £60 on food for the month.
£200 a month is easily done
Reply 46
Original post by tehFrance
Where is this you live that you only need £100pw for food and other basics plus good nightlife? it is £50 a night out minimum then £20 on food... average 4 nights out a week which is £200 plus £20 on food... you'd need £220pw which is a fair bit more than what you are suggesting :s-smilie:

To be honest, pretty much anywhere bar the largest cities. There's no need to blow £50 on a night out every time, that's just silly. Plus most people won't have anywhere near enough time to do 4 big nights out a week. Lectures and work will generally get in the way of that.

I spend £15 on a nights out, not £50.
Original post by Stalin
I spend £15 on a nights out, not £50.

I spend £50... I was talking about me as I was curious as to how you spend so little.
I spend £50... I was talking about me as I was curious as to how you spend so little.

I go to a uni with a relatively cheap nightlife which allows for three or four nights out p/w - fun.
Original post by Stalin
I go to a uni with a relatively cheap nightlife which allows for three or four nights out p/w - fun.

Congratulations... where though? I live in London and still go out four nights a week :smug: (expensive though :sad:).
^ Pre-drinks?
Reply 52
It could be done, but I definitely could not do it. I spend about £40/w on food (more if I consider when I'm lazy and get lunch etc.). If your budget will be that tight I would recommend finding a Saturday or Sunday job for sure.
Original post by sil3nt_cha0s
^ Pre-drinks?

Yes... always prinkies :tongue: however I drink a lot and prinkies doesn't always get me there :sad:
Reply 54
50p/w is pretty tight. I recommend getting a part time job just incase.
Yes, I live on £10 a week. It sickens me that you're thinking of spending a penny over £20. I'm not jealous or anything - I just think I'm better than you.
Reply 56
Original post by M1011
£200? A month? Are you royalty?

Easily done :tongue:

Are you serious? With £200/month in London I wouldn't last a week.
Reply 57
Original post by FusRohDah
Are you serious? With £200/month in London I wouldn't last a week.

Well then you fail at managing your finances? :wink:
I've found that I spend £40 a week - it is possible, just remember to shop around (Iceland and Poundland are good discount places) and takeaways cost a lot over time. Also remember you will have bills to pay - last year I spent £30 - 45 a month on gas and electricity, and around £60 every three months on water.

If you really want to save money why not brew your own beer? After spending £50 on kit, I worked out that from a 40 litre barrel, a pint would cost 40p.
Reply 59
£10 a day is do-able :smile: It's how much I spend, and I usually have to pay a lot for transport and usually end up going somewhere for lunch and spending about £5 a day! If you don't go out for lunch and bring your own then you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending