The Student Room Group

I have thought about a career in Zoology, but I'm not good at maths. Any advice?

Basically, after much thought and consideration about careers, I would like to go into Zoology, but because it's biology based I'm guessing I'll need maths at a certain level. I only ever studied maths at GCSE and I go a measly D grade. In school I had a lot of problems with family etc during the GCSE's, so I wasn't focused much. To be honest though, I also never had much interest in education back then. But now I'm 23 years old and I want to have a career behind me, so I've thought about going back to study Zoology. I completed a Key skills level 2 Numeracy and literacy test last year, which is the equivalent of a C grade in Maths and English.

But anyway, my main question is how much maths is involved in a Zoology course? And as I'm not so good at maths, would I receive help along the way? It definitely a career I have thought about a lot, and it's something I would like to do.

Any advice?
Reply 1
I want to do zoology as well. However I am RUBBISH at maths, but I don't think this matters.
I was looking up university requirements for zoology courses and a lot of them said they would accept: biology, geography and psychology - and I'm going to do all of them next year for A level, you only need the basic C in GCSE maths.

So I wouldn't worry if I was you. Just look up different entry requirements for university's and try and take the A levels that you need.
Don't worry, the only maths you'll really be required to do is simple statistical tests and these can be carried out for you in Microsoft Excel. Basically, provided you can plug some numbers into a spreadsheet, you'll be fine.
You can cross that bridge when you come to it
Reply 4
Well I was looking up entry requirements for the course, and it didn't say anything about maths, so surely it doesn't involve much maths.
Reply 5
I've applied for a Zoology course next year. You need Biology and another science, but maths isn't required :biggrin: Don't worry about it, and go for it! :smile:
Original post by grace-
I want to do zoology as well. However I am RUBBISH at maths, but I don't think this matters.
I was looking up university requirements for zoology courses and a lot of them said they would accept: biology, geography and psychology - and I'm going to do all of them next year for A level, you only need the basic C in GCSE maths.

So I wouldn't worry if I was you. Just look up different entry requirements for university's and try and take the A levels that you need.

Original post by llama
I've applied for a Zoology course next year. You need Biology and another science, but maths isn't required :biggrin: Don't worry about it, and go for it! :smile:

Totally! Ive just firmed my offer for Zoology in Leeds, and I dont do maths A level, if thats your passion then as llama said go for it! :smile: They do usually do a module in statistics, but thats just one part, its not huge, most of it is biology and geography/ chemistry. Good luck! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending