The Student Room Group

CAN I GET INTO DRAMA SCHOOL WITHOUT A LEVELS? ANYONE at DRAMA SCHOOL KNOW?

I am currently studying AS Drama and Theatre studies, AS English Literature and Language, AS History and AS Law. But I don't like sixth form college! and i don't enjoy all my subjects besides from drama and theatre studies and history. I'm taking my exams in may but after that I'm thinking of dropping out and getting a full time job in tesco (instead of part time which I do now) to save up for applying for drama school and for the fees if I get in. I'm 100% certain this is what I want to do, an BA Acting course for a career in acting, I've known since I was very young. So could I really get into a drama school without A levels?????/
Reply 1
Anyone??????/ :frown:
Reply 2
My reply may be a little outdated but yes, you can get into a drama without A-levels, what really determines your entry is your talent

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT18i
Yes you can. However, there are some which may require 2 Cs at A Level (but they apparently let you off if you're talented)

Hehe :P
Having worked with resident companies at theatres and worked a lot with the drama school company, most won't require A Level as most will be 16+, however quite a few drama schools will offer BTECs if you get in the Drama School, you will have to usually do a minimum of 2 years resident at a theatre, if it is run by the drama school.
i'm looking at applying at drama schools or universities offering BA acting and from what i've seen they all want 240 UCAS points at least as well as talent

hope this helps!
the majority of the private/proper drama schools they don't go through UCAS, and compared to the uni's have far more industry and real life experience, even though there's quite a few that have PhDs a lot will have industry experience.
Reply 7
Original post by DeannaMay
I am currently studying AS Drama and Theatre studies, AS English Literature and Language, AS History and AS Law. But I don't like sixth form college! and i don't enjoy all my subjects besides from drama and theatre studies and history. I'm taking my exams in may but after that I'm thinking of dropping out and getting a full time job in tesco (instead of part time which I do now) to save up for applying for drama school and for the fees if I get in. I'm 100% certain this is what I want to do, an BA Acting course for a career in acting, I've known since I was very young. So could I really get into a drama school without A levels?????/

The type of institution and course you apply for is what makes the difference. University drama courses generally ask for exams at level 3 ie A levels or BTEC extended diploma.

The actual drama schools such as RADA, Central, Bristol Old Vic etc which are generally vocational schools geared to actual training in acting generally don't care a jot about academic attainment. They give entry based on experience/interest and auditions. The auditions are fiercely competitive as you probably know (in some cases thousands of applications for just ten places)
and are charged for!! You still apply to most of these through UCAS but not all so go through them. Bristol Old Vic for instance is direct application.

However it would help if while you are working in Tesco etc you could maybe keep up your drama work with workshops or community theatre or taking part in productions or at local theatres. It looks better on the application and keeps your hand in!!! Sometimes it can even lead to opportunities that mean you can get work or a start in something and skip the whole degree bit (not often but possible) If you have the money there are summer courses in auditioning techniques run by most of the big London drama schools.

As you are so vocationally orientated your other option is to switch to a BTEC performing arts course which you might enjoy much more than straight A levels.

Good luck

:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by catoswyn
The type of institution and course you apply for is what makes the difference. University drama courses generally ask for exams at level 3 ie A levels or BTEC extended diploma.

The actual drama schools such as RADA, Central, Bristol Old Vic etc which are generally vocational schools geared to actual training in acting generally don't care a jot about academic attainment. They give entry based on experience/interest and auditions. The auditions are fiercely competitive as you probably know (in some cases thousands of applications for just ten places)
and are charged for!! You still apply to most of these through UCAS but not all so go through them. Bristol Old Vic for instance is direct application.

However it would help if while you are working in Tesco etc you could maybe keep up your drama work with workshops or community theatre or taking part in productions or at local theatres. It looks better on the application and keeps your hand in!!! Sometimes it can even lead to opportunities that mean you can get work or a start in something and skip the whole degree bit (not often but possible) If you have the money there are summer courses in auditioning techniques run by most of the big London drama schools.

As you are so vocationally orientated your other option is to switch to a BTEC performing arts course which you might enjoy much more than straight A levels.

Good luck

:smile:

What above said ^^

Make sure you visit the drama school before you apply through so you have an idea of what it will be like - even if they say they have no open day places left. They said that to me so I phoned them up and made sure I got on one. :P
you can get into drama school without A levels, but the courses that you can get into differ. If you want information about entrance requirements look up on the school website. You can get into a foundation course or a diploma course with just GCSE but it is harder to get into a degree course without BTEC level 3 or A levels. It is always good to have A levels as a back up because performing arts is such a difficult career. The entry requirements depend on the drama school.
The choice of drama school depends on whether you want to do acting and singing and dancing or just drama, although it is unlikely you will exclusively do acting at the best schools, that is usually more university.
Some good drama and musical theatre colleges are
ArtsEd
Guildford school of acting
Possibly Guildhall
Mountview

As a dancer I don't know much about drama based school so recommend you look on the course content and entry requirements before you decide.
it could be that to achieve your dream you have to first do A levels to get there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending