The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G544 June 18th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellasmith
Hmm, thats a hard one! if it were the exam now i'd do this:

Similar: useful implications, individual differences (rosenhan) highlights how poorly people with mental illnesses are treated, and highlights how practitioners made type I and II errors cognitive (loftus and palmer) can be useful for eyewitness testimonies as provides evidence that our memory is not as reliable as we thought

Difference: cognitive attemps to explain human behaviour as a whole, and generalises the findings world wide, whereas individual differences attempts to explain the complexity of human behaviour by studying the differences in people.

second para is really poor, maybe someone else has a better suggestion!

Thats good! I just thought of cognitive= lab experiments but individual differences=case studies? even though not always!
Reply 221
Can anyone suggest any studies that produces qualitative data ? I only have Raine et al's study into brain abnormalities through PET......Im trying to cover everything that could possibly come up in section B's research method part :biggrin:

TY xx
Original post by jessplease
Thats good! I just thought of cognitive= lab experiments but individual differences=case studies? even though not always!

yeh i thought of individual = case studies, but then i realised griffiths and rosenhan are experiments.

lets hope that question doesnt come up !
No, not all of the AS studies are longitudinal (Pilivain is snapshot, people get confused because it was conducted over a 2 month period but there were 103 micro studies within it)

Holistic studies:

Thigpen and Cleckley (looked at different ways in trying to cure eve)
Wiktrom (looked at situational (crimogenic environments) and disposotiional ways (low morality) to explain turning to crime)

Sorry, i made a mistake, I meant does it mean the rest are snapshot?
Thank you! :smile:
Original post by bobby135
Can anyone suggest any studies that produces qualitative data ? I only have Raine et al's study into brain abnormalities through PET......Im trying to cover everything that could possibly come up in section B's research method part :biggrin:

TY xx

qualitative = kanner et al,
johansson,
ford and widiger
milgram (wrote descriptions of participants behaviour)
Eeek, im not sure if the rest are snapshot! I would assume so, but don't quote me! Basically, anything that involves them revisiting the same set of participants and re testing them over a significantly longer period of time on the same things is longitudinal (as you already know!) so if youre stuck just think does it do that?
Reply 226
Dont worry, those second sets of questions will not come up...

I really hope not. Thank you :smile:
Eeek, im not sure if the rest are snapshot! I would assume so, but don't quote me! Basically, anything that involves them revisiting the same set of participants and re testing them over a significantly longer period of time on the same things is longitudinal (as you already know!) so if youre stuck just think does it do that?

Thank you! That would be a good idea to do, & I hope longitudinal wont come up.
Have you got any idea on why Freud (I dont understand his study) is longitudinal apart from that it was carried out over along period of time?
Original post by coolclar
Thank you! That would be a good idea to do, & I hope longitudinal wont come up.
Have you got any idea on why Freud (I dont understand his study) is longitudinal apart from that it was carried out over along period of time?

Honestly, for longitudinal I wouldn't go near Freud if you don't really understand his study!

I'd use:
Thigpen & Cleckley
Kohlberg
Wikstrom
Savage-Rumbaugh

xx
Reply 229
If a question such as compare the experimental method and self-report method comes up, if I use 2 differences/similarities with 2 researches for each point (4 in total) be enough to cover the entire 8 marks ?
If a question such as compare the experimental method and self-report method comes up, if I use 2 differences/similarities with 2 researches for each point (4 in total) be enough to cover the entire 8 marks ?

Yes! Perfect. Just make sure you contextualise it, so when you give evidence (study) conclude at the end and say this was experimental because of milgram manipulated the IV (Probes) In order to test the DV (obedience)
Reply 231
ty ella (I guess thats ur name hehe :s-smilie:) you are a star ! :biggrin: Just major panicking right now haha, trying to cover everything for research method since I am refusing to do the approaches side of section B....I know its dangerous but I just feel that if I cover everything now...there would be no danger about this :biggrin:
Reply 232
Thankyou!
What is a difference between individual differences approach and cognitive approach:smile: thanks!

Differences between individual differences and cognitive:
-Cognitive tends to use scientific methods (laboratory experiments), whilst the individual differences approach uses case studies which are not controlled in any way, and individual differences uses a variety of methods, like self-report, psychometric tests and observation (never uses controlled experiments).

-Individual differences is more holistic as it looks at the person as a whole to try to find differences between people (to find mental disorders), whilst cognitive is less holistic because it only looks at the thinking patterns of people.

-Cognitive is reductionist and mechanistic, comparing the human brain to that of a computer, whilst individual differences isn't, because it usually looks at a person as a whole ie, Thigpen and Cleckley studied Eve thoroughly, by interviews, etc and gained an insight into her childhood experiences, carried out psychometric tests, etc etc
ty ella (I guess thats ur name hehe :s-smilie:) you are a star ! :biggrin: Just major panicking right now haha, trying to cover everything for research method since I am refusing to do the approaches side of section B....I know its dangerous but I just feel that if I cover everything now...there would be no danger about this :biggrin:

You should be okay by avoiding approaches, (however I recommend revising individual differences as this is a topic likely to come up) You might struggle a little bit if youre asked to compare two approaches though in a section B question! Maybe just familiarise yourself with the strengths/weaknesses and two studies.

For compare questions you only need 1 similarity and 1 difference, backed up by examples (2 examples for each point).

I don't know if that's what you're saying in your post (I think it is), because it's quite confusing. You won't get the full marks if you do 2 similarities or 2 differences. For full marks you'll need one of each to show a range.
A2 studies for indiv differences please anyone? And how they relate to the approach if possible. :smile:
Original post by AlexandraRose
A2 studies for indiv differences please anyone? And how they relate to the approach if possible. :smile:

I use daly and wilson because it generalises the difference between men and women, i guess yochelson and samenow too as looks at cognitive differences between criminals and non criminals
I use daly and wilson because it generalises the difference between men and women, i guess yochelson and samenow too as looks at cognitive differences between criminals and non criminals

Makes sense, thankyou :biggrin:!
Reply 238
can anyone suggest what to revise?
i've been going over the approaches and learning the assumptions and two studies to go with it, and other studies that are applicable... i know the strengths/weaknesses (well they can be made up lol) but anyone suggest anything else?

also any tips for section A for the 19 marker when it comes to writing it quickly and not using up all the time as i find i spend ages on it?

thanks x
Original post by laurag.19
can anyone suggest what to revise?
i've been going over the approaches and learning the assumptions and two studies to go with it, and other studies that are applicable... i know the strengths/weaknesses (well they can be made up lol) but anyone suggest anything else?

also any tips for section A for the 19 marker when it comes to writing it quickly and not using up all the time as i find i spend ages on it?

thanks x

Maybe think of some section B questions like compare the behaviourist perspective in terms of free will/determinism. Usefulness of the psychodynamic approach, compare longitudinal snapshot studies etc?

Oh, and for section A write an acronym representing what you want to include in your section A at the top and tick each letter off as you go along and keep it in order so you're organised/dont miss anything important out ?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending