The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Computer Science at St Andrews

Does anyone here study computer science at St Andrews? because i have a few questions.

1 - Ive been looking at the computer science part of their site and it says that the computers that you will use will be 800Mhz-1Ghz Pentium 3's. Is it possible to use your own laptop instead of one of those computers because they sound like they are gonna be slow?

2 - Im taking the international bacaloriate (cant spell :P) and on the site is says that you need a minimum of 32 points. If they give you an offer would they stick to the 32 points or would they require more? What is the highest that they have offered?

3 - I am taking higher computer science (java) for my IB course and im teaching myself GUI. Will this help with an application? (I heard it does not always help). Also if there are any current computer science students reading this, would it be possible for you to send me some of the first years work so i can see what kind of things you have to do?

4 - How big are the rooms in the halls? i have a 28"(CRT) tv in my bedroom, would it fit in the rooms in tha halls or would i have to bring my 14" tv instead? are the en-suit rooms worth the extra £2000+ a year?

5 - Im not a very sociable person due to the fact i have no confidence talking to people i dont know. How easy would it be for a person like me to fit in? (this is the thing im most worried about when going to university)

Thanks for the help.
Mike
Reply 1
Hiya. I was at a visit day at St Andrews a couple of weeks ago - im going to be studying computer science after the summer and I am most likely to be going there. I was very impressed with the computing department - definitely the best iv seen out of all the unis iv been too. They have, i think it was approx, 150 shuttle pc's, 3GHz, all flat screens, brand new end of last year i think they said - that was in one of the buildings. It is worth a visit, very nice place.

No need to worry about not making friends, I met loads of people just being there on a visit day for a couple of hours! Everyone was really welcoming and friendly.

I was also very impressed with the halls - much bigger/nicer than others i have seen - would def fit a 28" :biggrin:
Hope that helps :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Latest

Trending

Trending