The Student Room Group

C3 June 2012 - Post Exam Thread - Solutions and Paper in the FIRST POST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Jammy-109
Basically I made the dumbest mistake ever. For q.6c, I subbed in 2x +3 into e^x, so I made the equation e^(2x+3) = 6 but missed out the +2 like an idiot. I carried on logged both sides, made x the subject, but I got x= 0.5(-3+ln6). I was just wondering how many marks you guys think I will lose out of 4?

1 mark the answer mark u get the other 3

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 581
Original post by meraphox
1 mark the answer mark u get the other 3

Thank you very much. Such a dumb error, but glad it hasn't cost me too many marks
Reply 582
Original post by dzone25
It was just this week was terrible ¬.¬

Physics to start things off was AWFUL and then geog made it worse and having C3/M3 clash the next day in the morning left me no time to relearn all my identities and stuf =.=

I EVEN got 6 wrong... the f(2x+3) THAT'S EASY!! =.=

EDIT and the range/domain and graph as a result =.=

I know the feeling...Physics for me was the worst possible start to my week and I mucked that question up as well so i've probably lost my A* in maths :frown:

Was it PHYA4 that you did on Mon?
Reply 583
Original post by npaul4
I know the feeling...Physics for me was the worst possible start to my week and I mucked that question up as well so i've probably lost my A* in maths :frown:

Was it PHYA4 that you did on Mon?

Of course it was =[
Reply 584
Is it okay if you drew the graphs in HB pencil?
Reply 585
Original post by dzone25
Of course it was =[

Was just checking, yeah that was an absolutely hideous paper :bawling:
Reply 586
I think it's time for you guys to start revising c4.
Reply 587
Original post by knowledgecorruptz
Neither of these are mistakes? You've just written them out in a different format.

If you've ever seen a proper mark scheme (not the ones you typically find online) there is generally a half page to a full page of "notes", where alternate methods, simplifications, clarifications etc. are all written out. They cover pretty much everything so you should be fine.

Worst case possible, you might lose one mark for each if you have a really, really lazy/incompetent examiner who fails to recognise your alternate answer. But I reckon if you've laid your working out clearly there's a truly minimal chance of you not receiving full marks for both.

Okay thanks a million! I'm pretty sure I've bagged at least 90% and if I remember all my answers properly then I may have 100! fingers crossed. Hope everyone else gets the grade they hope for as well.
Original post by sma0414
For Q6e, I drew the graphs properly with the right asymptotes and intersections, but I forgot to label which one is which,
how many marks do you think I'd lose for that?

I don't think you'll loose any marks. I think the first mark will be for the correct shape of both graphs. The second for the correct quadrant for the graphs. The third mark and fourth mark for the correct intersections.

Reply 589
Got A's in C1,C2, S1 and M1 but i did so badly in this, the paper wasn't even that bad, i just don't like C3 :frown:
Damn, now i need to get at least 94 in C4 to get an A*...
DAMN MY INABILITY TO FLIP A FUNCTION OVER.

I swear C3 was meant to take the pressure off C4 :'(
Reply 591
Original post by Beresford George
I don't think you'll loose any marks. I think the first mark will be for the correct shape of both graphs. The second for the correct quadrant for the graphs. The third mark and fourth mark for the correct intersections.

Beresford George,
just wondering, did you do c3 as well?
(might be a silly question) :P
Original post by Rach3ch
Beresford George,
just wondering, did you do c3 as well?
(might be a silly question) :P

Yeah I done C3 as well for the first time :smile: How did you find it?

Reply 593
Original post by Skaterkid
How did you prepare for the exam?? did you just past papers or all of the solomon papers ect

I taught myself each topic using www.examsolutions.co.uk which is quality! Then I did all the past papers from 2005 onwards as well as a few solomons, if I got less than 75 on a paper I would redo it a few days later until i nailed it. Good luck with c4 man!
Reply 594
Yeah I done C3 as well for the first time :smile: How did you find it?

Ooh okay! Thought it was quite a good paper but i have no idea how i ended up drawing the graph intersecting each other.
Original post by Rach3ch
Ooh okay! Thought it was quite a good paper but i have no idea how i ended up drawing the graph intersecting each other.

Yeah. I didnt think it was too hard. It wasn't the hardest paper by far. I think I lost 2-4 marks for mistakes that I can remember depending on the mark scheme. How many marks do you reckon you lost?

Original post by Skaterkid
How did you prepare for the exam?? did you just past papers or all of the solomon papers ect

I know this question isn't directed to me, but I've found that this year, the absolute best form of revision has been doing past papers and looking closely at the mark schemes. C3 in particular has very similar questions in all papers.
Reply 597
Who used implicit differentiation to do the last differentiation question?
Reply 598
Yeah. I didnt think it was too hard. It wasn't the hardest paper by far. I think I lost 2-4 marks for mistakes that I can remember depending on the mark scheme. How many marks do you reckon you lost?

I cant really remember all my answers to be honest cuz I had m3 right after c3. But from what I remember (at least I hope so) I think I only got the graph intersecting each other wrong (hope i don't lose too many marks) *finger crossed*
Original post by Hulksmash
Who used implicit differentiation to do the last differentiation question?

I did, but I basically always use implicit differentiation instead of dx/dy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending