The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Biology Unit 3 - BLY3H - Monday 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Scientists involved and their important developments in 'biogenesis':

Spallanzani- found boiling microbes killed them

Schwann- observed yeast and the fermentation process

Pasteur- invented pasteurisation process, where heating killed most of the bacteria in milk
Would somebody mind explaining how beer and wine is made, so I can be sure I'm right? Thanks :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Revision-
It is the hidden part of the specification, they may include it 2moz (element of surprise),
P.S, I think they will include batch/continuous generators and/or scientists involved in biogenesis...

Ahh right...that's not good :s-smilie:
But yeah, I'm betting on something about the generators and scientists coming up too, along with something about beer/cheese production...there'll probably also be a question about exercising and how the body keeps up with it etc, since that seems to have become a trend over the years.
Reply 183
Original post by Revision-
Uniform Mark Scheme; the points that are converted from marks used to calculate the grade which you can get.

I need 78 in B3 for an A!!!

Thankyou, the complete thing is out of 400 right?
Reply 184
Original post by AngryBirds4
Thank you :smile:

I got 35 marks (I had to deduct 4 marks as something was removed for copyright, and so I couldn't finish it)...

I guessed a lot of it... It goes to show what it's worth not leaving anything blank and taking logical guesses :smile:

Your welcome
Reply 185
Can someone explain how beer is made and how wine is made into simple steps thanks :biggrin:
Original post by James3110
Here you go :smile:

Do you have the Jan 2012 paper by any chance? Thanks
Reply 187
Original post by pokings
Thankyou, the complete thing is out of 400 right?

yup, 360= A*
320= A
280= B
Would somebody mind explaining how beer and wine is made, so I can be sure I'm right? Thanks :smile:

Beer:
Starch in barley grains is broken down into simple sugars by enzymes in germinating grains in a process called malting.
Simple sugars are then extracted and fermented.
Hops are added to give beer its bitter flavour.

I'm pretty sure that malting isn't a part of wine-making as it uses the natural sugars in the grapes, or something.

I've got:
Grapes and picked and washed before being squashed to extract the juices.
Grape juice mixture added to water and yeast.
Anaerobic respiration occurs, using natural sugars from the fruit, producing alcohol.
Wine filtered to remove yeast.
Wine bottled and left to mature.

Hope it helped a little!
Original post by steviep14
Cheese is NOT on the B3 Specification.
Beer, Yoghurt and Wine are the three main ones.
You also need to know CO2 causes the Bread to Rise

Cheese is definitely in the specification :s-smilie: Here:
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-4411-W-SP-12.PDF

Check on page 52 - Microorganisms are used to make food and drink: bacteria are used in yoghurt and cheese manufacture yeast is used in making bread and alcoholic drinks
Reply 190

Right beer: Barley grains are soaked in water and left to Germinate. Enzymes in the grains break down the starch into glucose. This glucose is then used to anaerobically ferment yeast producing alcohol.

Wine is similar but instead of malting (using barley grains) you just use natural sources of sugar such as grapes which are squeezed, mixed with water and yeast. This is left to anaerobically respire and the yeast is filtered off to produce wine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 191
Is:
ISA 25%
B1 25%
B2 25%
B3 25%

? :smile:
Reply 192
Can someone also explain why a water cooled jacket is used for the fermenter? thanks
Reply 193
Original post by Jack_Smith
Do you have the Jan 2012 paper by any chance? Thanks

Oops sorry I didn't see your earlier post when you asked for it :colondollar:
Original post by James3110
Oops sorry I didn't see your earlier post when you asked for it :colondollar:

Thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 195
Original post by Sara_A
Can someone also explain why a water cooled jacket is used for the fermenter? thanks

It takes away heat so that the enzymes of the microbes don't denature, as they would if the temperature got too high
Reply 196
Whats sort of questions can come up related to exercising? thanks
Reply 197
Original post by Sara_A

Microorganisms in the fermenter will respire which produces heat. The jacket is used to maintain a stable temperature so that it does not get too hot for things such as enzymes to denature.
Original post by Sara_A

Microorganisms release heat/energy as a product of respiration, so a water-cooled jacket allows the fermenter to maintain an optimum temperature to prevent the denaturing of enzymes. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm stuck on this question if anyone can help me out I will greatly appreciate it - I know the answer just not how to work it out:

May 2010
Biology 3
Question 1 b iii

Thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending