The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
Original post by Stirlo
If we go on assumptions i'd guess we'd be offering him around 40-50k pw? So thats like 15k extra spurs are willing to play. Can we really not afford that?

Exactly.. it's a strangely low offer.
It's not a strangely low offer at all, it's a sensible offer. If he wants to move to Spurs for the extra money then **** him, he isn't worth signing.
Original post by ChrisWilliams
It's not a strangely low offer at all, it's a sensible offer. If he wants to move to Spurs for the extra money then **** him, he isn't worth signing.

I've read a short biography of Sigurdsson and it really does seem like he's destined for the top. He turned down one of the biggest clubs in Iceland because he didn't think their pitch was good enough.

I haven't got a clue on which rumours to believe, but Jenkins is rarely wrong so I'll side with him for now.
Reply 2003

And with that attitude we'll end up signing nobody. Money is what talks, no footballer would turn down wages a third better than what we offered them.
Tbh Rodgers probably knew the cap in wages that Swansea have and therefore offered around that sum or slightly higher.

If any club wants to come in and offer crazy money on top, well we have to just live with it imo. Either he's worth the 8mil in transfer fee + the wages he wants/Spurs have offered or he's not.

Plenty of players to play behind the striker tbfh.
Original post by Pn94
And with that attitude we'll end up signing nobody. Money is what talks, no footballer would turn down wages a third better than what we offered them.

No we won't. I'd rather have a player who wants to play for Liverpool Football Club rather than playing for an extra 20/30k. We've been screwed over by players for wages for ages, Carragher, Cole, Jovanovic, Aquilani, all players who are/were on 90k+ per week with us because we didn't get hard on wages, 3 of them still at the club. I'm glad the club is getting sensible and offering sensible wages for a player who's still only 22 and the biggest club he's consistently played for is Swansea ****ing City!!!!
No we won't. I'd rather have a player who wants to play for Liverpool Football Club rather than playing for an extra 20/30k. We've been screwed over by players for wages for ages, Carragher, Cole, Jovanovic, Aquilani, all players who are/were on 90k+ per week with us because we didn't get hard on wages, 3 of them still at the club. I'm glad the club is getting sensible and offering sensible wages for a player who's still only 22 and the biggest club he's consistently played for is Swansea ****ing City!!!!

I'm with you on this one. If a player joins us and performs well, we'll give him a new contract then (unless you're Meireles :colondollar:). Need to stop getting saddled with so many players who have great agents or can talk the talk and we end up getting ripped off.
Reply 2007

But the likes of Cole Jova and Aquilani can be put down to poor scouting.

If you find the right player then it's worth paying the extra wage imo.
Reply 2008

I agree with you for a player like Sigurdsson, but I can see this being a problem with other signings too. The fact we're Liverpool FC isn't really a major pulling factor anymore, as much as people like to believe it is. In this day and age it seems most players look a clubs recent form and success and not what their history is. If you look at us over the past 3 seasons, we've haven't looked like a team that should be in the upper echelons of europe so that obviously puts players off.

This is all my opinion ofcourse, feel free to disagree, but if we want to sign the calibre of players which will get us back up there we need to be prepared to spend a little more on wages to get them.
We don't know exactly what's been offered so it's hard to judge - However, coming from Swansea he must be on a relatively low wage.

You refer to all the mistakes we made spending extra money, but then look at the extra money we paid for the likes of Torres, and the extra money we didn't pay for Cristiano Ronaldo. £80million later he's a good investment.

I just think this guy has so much potential. Player of the season at Hoffenheim, Swansea and Reading all in his first season and just 22.

But then I have faith in Rodgers and I'm sure he'll be able to judge having managed him last season.
Original post by Pn94
But the likes of Cole Jova and Aquilani can be put down to poor scouting.

What tells you that Sigurdsson will work out as a success? Like Zerf says above, give him a conservative contract at first and tell him that if he performs for 2 years he'll get a bumper pay rise. If he wants the extra money, give him the incentive to earn it rather than saying "I'll join x club if you don't give me this"

Original post by Stirlo
I agree with you for a player like Sigurdsson, but I can see this being a problem with other signings too. The fact we're Liverpool FC isn't really a major pulling factor anymore, as much as people like to believe it is. In this day and age it seems most players look a clubs recent form and success and not what their history is. If you look at us over the past 3 seasons, we've haven't looked like a team that should be in the upper echelons of europe so that obviously puts players off.

This is all my opinion ofcourse, feel free to disagree, but if we want to sign the calibre of players which will get us back up there we need to be prepared to spend a little more on wages to get them.

Completely agree. There are certain players that we should go the extra yard for and pay them the extra wages, Sigurdsson isn't one of them.
Original post by milan5baros
We don't know exactly what's been offered so it's hard to judge - However, coming from Swansea he must be on a relatively low wage.

You refer to all the mistakes we made spending extra money, but then look at the extra money we paid for the likes of Torres, and the extra money we didn't pay for Cristiano Ronaldo. £80million later he's a good investment.

I just think this guy has so much potential. Player of the season at Hoffenheim, Swansea and Reading all in his first season and just 22.

But then I have faith in Rodgers and I'm sure he'll be able to judge having managed him last season.

Ronaldo was completely different, it wasn't wages that were the problem, it was Houllier and Thompson deciding that he wasn't good enough and nor would he be good enough to pay the extra few million in transfer money that we needed to.
Reply 2012
What tells you that Sigurdsson will work out as a success?

Great goalscoring record from midfield in both Germany and England (exactly what we need). He's less risk than any of Jova Cole or Aqua as he's performed everywhere he's been and is still only 22. For me he'd be a good signing and he's the type of player we should be looking to sign atm.
I'm not disagreeing that he'll be a good signing, I'm just disagreeing that we should throw an extra money at him. Make him work for it if he wants it, if he wants to go somewhere else for the cash then **** him, he wasn't worth the interest in the first place.
Reply 2014
I'm not disagreeing that he'll be a good signing, I'm just disagreeing that we should throw an extra money at him. Make him work for it if he wants it, if he wants to go somewhere else for the cash then **** him, he wasn't worth the interest in the first place.

I completely agree with what you mean and back it wholeheartedly. For too long we have rewarded players for signing for Liverpool, even last season why the hell were Downing, Henderson, Adam and Carroll given massive pay rises to play for us? They should have been given a ~£10,000 a week bonus with a pay review after every 2 years or earlier if they perform in a spectacular manner.
Original post by J.Star
Brilliant player, I'm still hoping that Arsenal will sign him out of the blue sometime in the near future. Only a year and a half left on his contract, so it is likely he will be available within the next 6 months/year.

Surprised to hear Sigurdsson is favouring a move to the spuds. Wrong decision imo (if it's true, of course) to move to a manager-less team that to replace one of 2 of their most influential players/midfielders; Modric and Van der Vaart. Liverpool seem more like a team on the rise than Spurs, but we'll reassess that view once Rodgers has actually spent some time with the team.

I think he'd do well in the prem, whatever team he signs for.

I was surprised as well about the spurs move, but he will probably, and although i'm a Liverpool supporter, see it from the perspective that they are more likely to get into the CL next season than we are. We are, after all, now a team in the rebuilding process.
Reply 2016

Fair enough, I can see where you're coming from.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Liverpool nick the deal. Can't imagine there is much money in it. He got on so well with Rodgers i would be highly surprised to see Liverpool not pull together an improved deal. Maybe he was initially offered a wage similar to the one Swansea offered him and now are pulling together an improved deal. Makes little sense and for me looks odd that he would choose a club with no manager ...
Reply 2018
I'm sure he wants to join us I think because of his relationship with BR, but if its for the money then I don't think we should go that far. Would rather let him go to Spurs then, hopefully we'll get someone better.

I'm sure if he really wants to join Liverpool he would have to accept our final offer. We'll see how it is tomorrow, although I hope we don't pay too much wages for him.

Seems the transfer money ain't too much, we'll both be paying £8m anyway...
Original post by Mess.
I completely agree with what you mean and back it wholeheartedly. For too long we have rewarded players for signing for Liverpool, even last season why the hell were Downing, Henderson, Adam and Carroll given massive pay rises to play for us? They should have been given a ~£10,000 a week bonus with a pay review after every 2 years or earlier if they perform in a spectacular manner.

Out of curiosity do you know how much are the aforementioned players on per week?

Latest