The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Keep Carroll. Don't want him ffs.
Football fans can be so fickle sometimes. If Carroll went back, the second he starts scoring again all would be forgotten by the Newcastle fans.
Reply 2722
Do you want Xisco to sweeten the deal? :teehee:
Original post by Pn94
They can either sign him permanently or we keep him. A loan deal makes no sense whatsoever.

A loan is good sense for us because we can dump him if he sucks and buy him if he doesn't.
You guys should be happy. 17m is a great figure to sell for, a ridiculous figure.
Reply 2725
There's not a chance we're buying him for £17 million, no way.
Reply 2726
Original post by Tommyjw
You guys should be happy. 17m is a great figure to sell for, a ridiculous figure.

Straight up, yes. I could understand selling him and buying another striker with that cash.

But a loan deal would massively piss me off.

Original post by TM94
There's not a chance we're buying him for £17 million, no way.

Do you want him back?
Reply 2727
Original post by KingGoonIan
A loan is good sense for us because we can dump him if he sucks and buy him if he doesn't.

Makes no sense for us though, at all. Unless we include some kind of clause which says you have to buy him.
Reply 2728
Original post by Pn94

Do you want him back?

It entirely depends on why we're buying him. If it's to replace Ba I'll be furious but if its to replace Best, I suppose it'll be a good deal. :dontknow:
But none of this makes sense, what Pardew has been saying in his press conferences and stuff. :holmes:
e.g. Ba will play more centrally and the kids will play more etc.
Reply 2729
Original post by Pn94
Makes no sense for us though, at all. Unless we include some kind of clause which says you have to buy him.

I really don't understand the 'Carroll can't work in a Rodgers system' mantra as well. Look at Danny Graham at Swansea ffs. You don't just loan people out whilst subsidising wages if you don't have a lot of money and you don't have a massive squad. Completely and utterly counter productive.

Of course we would be stupid to turn down any offer of £20m (not in add-ons) for him but loaning him out is moronic, his value will likely never be higher again than it is now.
Reply 2730
Liverpool turn down Newcastle's offer to loan Andy Carroll #mufc #lfc

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/statuses/224593780932747264

But for how long. Glad we done it, we should only loan out youngsters who came from the acadamy/reserves just to get experience, not someone to get first team football/prove themselves.

We loaned out Cole and Aquilani last season with a view to buy, neither left, same may happen to Carroll.
Reply 2731
Original post by TM94
It entirely depends on why we're buying him. If it's to replace Ba I'll be furious but if its to replace Best, I suppose it'll be a good deal. :dontknow:
But none of this makes sense, what Pardew has been saying in his press conferences and stuff. :holmes:
e.g. Ba will play more centrally and the kids will play more etc.

Isn't Best 3rd choice? Can't see him settling for a bench role. Think if you signed him he'd be starting regularly.

Would you forgive him though? Geordies seem to hate him (kind of unjustified).

Original post by Mess.
I really don't understand the 'Carroll can't work in a Rodgers system' mantra as well. Look at Danny Graham at Swansea ffs. You don't just loan people out whilst subsidising wages if you don't have a lot of money and you don't have a massive squad. Completely and utterly counter productive.

Of course we would be stupid to turn down any offer of £20m (not in add-ons) for him but loaning him out is moronic, his value will likely never be higher again than it is now.

I don't think he's the best fit for the frontline Rodgers will want to use (sounds like an interchangable 3) but I completely agree that we can't afford to just loan him out, especially considering how thin our squad is. We either sell him and replace him with the dosh we get, or keep him and use him the best we can. He can still be an impact player/second option and (whilst it's unlikely) he could find super form out of nowhere.

A loan deal with an obligation to buy would be different though, especially we get a £17m fee at the end of it. But I wonder how effectively that can be forced on Newcastle.. look at what happened with Aquilani and Milan.

Original post by mr tim
https://twitter.com/BBCSport/statuses/224593780932747264

But for how long. Glad we done it, we should only loan out youngsters who came from the acadamy/reserves just to get experience, not someone to get first team football/prove themselves.

We loaned out Cole and Aquilani last season with a view to buy, neither left, same may happen to Carroll.

Glad.
Oh, how I wish this had happened. Not because I want him back or anything, I just would love to see the Scouse reaction.

tumblr_m73fjxqS8W1qchzcgo1_400.gif (gif)

Cat=Newcastle
tap water=Liverpool tears.
I hope Rodgers isn't that ruthless and at least gives Andy a chance to prove himself under the new system. For all his good chat I don't like where this situation seems to be heading.
Reply 2734
This 'Rodgers system' is bull****, he hasn't even managed a liverpool game yet. How the **** does anybody know if Carroll will fit in.
Reply 2735
Original post by Jim-Jam
This 'Rodgers system' is bull****, he hasn't even managed a liverpool game yet. How the **** does anybody know if Carroll will fit in.

Because of the systems Rodgers has both studied and shown himself to use. Managers very very very rarely change their system too much between clubs and they try and force players into their systems rather than the other way round. Therefore it is a fairly logical conclusion that Rodgers will continue with his standard system modified slightly as he is at a better club and the further conclusion to that is that the system does not need and will function better without a player such as Carroll being the standard central striker. This is due to Carroll not having a great first or second touch, not being quick enough nor hard working enough to press and pretty abject when it comes to passing.

Whilst I personally think we need someone better and more suited to be the standard striker I still don't see the point in getting rid of Carroll unless it is for cash now, otherwise we are just weakening the squad and weakening our selling position.
Reply 2736
Rodgers has made himself look like a tit though.

Way to piss off your £35 million striker. :lolwut:
Reply 2737
So, pretty strong Walcott rumours.

I'd love him to sign, one of my favourite non-LFC players and seeing as how we have sold two wingers and we know Henderson can't play there, it'd make sense.

Would leave us with Gerrard, Henderson, Adam, Lucas, Spearing, Shelvey, Cole & Aquilani in the middle though. A lot of work to be done.
Walcott would be a brilliant signing tbh. Would he go to a side with no CL though?
Could actually see AC milan getting him, they need a replacement for ibrahimovic, Carroll lacks the technical ability, but at times milan need to long ball it and with better service carroll could thrive on it.

Latest