The Student Room Group

IB Lost

Hey,
I'm new hereand i will start with the IB in septemberat a boarding school. Although they've been telling me a lot about it i still feel kind of lost. Also i'm new to the student roomso i kind of also feel very confused here.
Does anyone have any kind of advice how to survive boarding school or the IB in general?
thx
mimile:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
IB found! Hey!
So idk bout boarding schools but IB is the best decision i have made! Its a lot of work and it aint easy but i know that every hand broken because of jotting down too many notes, or eyes popping out because of staying up late (trying to finish the hwk that was due two weeks before) is WORTH IT!

But really after a year of surviving IB i realized that its all about time management. My friend she time manages her school work, and she is actually rewarded with an 11 pm bedtime. She doesnt look at her phone when she sits down to work and she does a LOT. I on the other hand love my phone. So we have a great relationship and im rewarded with a 1 am bedtime and a 5 am wake up. But otherwise time management. I dont think any advice will be of use. Anyways if u got any specific q's. Hit me up :wink: peace

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Original post by mimile
Hey,
I'm new hereand i will start with the IB in septemberat a boarding school. Although they've been telling me a lot about it i still feel kind of lost. Also i'm new to the student roomso i kind of also feel very confused here.
Does anyone have any kind of advice how to survive boarding school or the IB in general?
thx
mimile:smile:

I don't do IB but from what I can tell try to finish all the extra stuff as soon as possible so you can get down to working.
Also school in Germany or England?
Reply 3
my school*s in england... i lived in germany until now, but part of my family is american so i'm pretty much germican or amerman or whatever...:biggrin:
do you think my accent could be a problem? cause i have kind of a southish accent since my family's from the south-east coast..
Original post by mimile
my school*s in england... i lived in germany until now, but part of my family is american so i'm pretty much germican or amerman or whatever...:biggrin:
do you think my accent could be a problem? cause i have kind of a southish accent since my family's from the south-east coast..

As long as it isn't nasaly no...the only problem they may have is the fact a florida accent will 'mack mad hoes' :wink:
Btw, which school?
Reply 5
it actually is a florida accent,but more of an orlando accent than that stupid miami accent :biggrin: and its not nasaly just btw :biggrin:
what do you mean by mack mad hoes?:biggrin::biggrin:
warminster school.just fell in love with it when i visited...the headmaster was so nice and it turned out that his father and mine are both from hamburg.
st. clares didn't want me because of my maths...wasn't that bad,but not the best,which is kind of not just my fault:biggrin: i also went to look around ellesmere college and it was really beautiful,but my mom didn't like it and it was too sporty for me i guess.
btw you guys here are great. thanks for the help.
Original post by mimile
it actually is a florida accent,but more of an orlando accent than that stupid miami accent :biggrin: and its not nasaly just btw :biggrin:
what do you mean by mack mad hoes?:biggrin::biggrin:
warminster school.just fell in love with it when i visited...the headmaster was so nice and it turned out that his father and mine are both from hamburg.
st. clares didn't want me because of my maths...wasn't that bad,but not the best,which is kind of not just my fault:biggrin: i also went to look around ellesmere college and it was really beautiful,but my mom didn't like it and it was too sporty for me i guess.
btw you guys here are great. thanks for the help.

Ahhh wait your a 'female' :wink:... right
I'm fairly confused right now :colondollar:
That's cool, it's a really good school. Why did you chose IB over A-levels?
Heheh most people are like this on tsr, as long as you catch us in a good mood :tongue:
Reply 7
ahhh wait i'm human...right :biggrin:
wh so confused?
i didn't even consider doin a-levels actually... first because my mom said she wouldn't pay for boarding school if i "just" did a-levels(it's not considered even as good as the abitur in germany and most universities don't accept it) for some reason she woul've been ok with it if i went to the states and did the high school diploma which is kind of like primary school :biggrin: at least that's wht my cousin said:biggrin:
Reply 8
so..what subjects did you guys chose for the IB.
i think i'm going with german , english language&literature,biology,math SL,history or economics, art
don't know what to chose as higher level...but maths SL for sure.
went back to being nervous as hell...yeah:biggrin:
Reply 9
another question: what did you do for CAS?
I don't do IB so I cant answer this stuff, sorry :tongue:
But search for IB's threads :smile:
Reply 11
sorry forgot bout that:P
Reply 12
so you're doin a-levels,right? how's that?:smile:
Ah Hello! Im going to be new to the IB too, from September!
I think im going to do, English,History and Biology at HL and Maths SL, Geography and French/Mandarin at SL! So happy i found another starter! and i think you're boarding too?! which if you are, me too! Haha feel free to pm me :smile: new to everything and all :P
Reply 14
I'm happy you have found me,too:biggrin: for the both of us. yeah,i'm going to be a boarder as well:smile: i think i might have read you're thread earlier today... it's so exciting,but i'm also realy nervous about everything since i don't know what it's going to be like...
I'm going to attend Warminster School. Which school will you be going to?:smile:
Reply 15
I can not reply to your message so i'm just going to put my answer here:smile:
I'm really nervous about that whole boarding thing,too. I'm not really good at making friends and everything so i guess I#m going to have a hard time at the beginning... but i'm going to join a few clubs for CAS...so I hope to make friends there:smile:
But I'm really nervous about the tests,because i don't know anything about how the exam procedures are.
So why did yoo chose boarding?:smile:
Ahh I can reply again :P Same, just the initial arrival and who will be my roommate and the first making friends part! Also, yeah about the IB, are you nervous just for the end of year 2 tests? or perhaps like mini tests to check progress or something? Anndd i chose boarding because, I've never done it before and I thought i would be a new experience and boarders seem to get the most of it i think, yet also it would be a 3 hour day traveling, so makes sense to board :P
Reply 17
i'm kind of nervous about all of them,but especially bout the finals. I don't really know what exactly counts for the actual diploma. I know about CAS, EE and the final tests,but i'm pretty sure thats not everything...about boarding: i think pretty much the same as you do and i think it might be good for CAS since you just join some clubs,which you have to do anyway as a boarder, so that's good.Also I live in Germany so I have to board. But I chose to do the IB and go to boarding school to be able to focus on school,which is kind of difficult for me here.
so why did you chose the IB over A-levels? :smile:
Oh, so why did you choose to come to the UK then? Well, I was finding it really difficult to cut down and pick just 4 subjects, as I felt i would be sacrificing some!, so the IB seemed the best option to keep up with the subjects I like. I'm quite excited to be honest, but thinking it'll be abit difficult packing away everything I want to take and saying bye to my friends as they will all be together still, but I'll still see them in holidays, so overall bit nervous but excited! :biggrin:
Reply 19
i feel the same way about my friends and family and especially my horse:smile: but some of them take a gap year so i won't see them anyway...
i chose to go to boarding school in the UK since it's not as far away from my family in germany. but i really felt like goingsince i'm just bored with myself here most of the time. i decided to move to florida where another part of my family lives in the first place,but i didn't find a goof school that offers the IB and high school diploma is a piece of ****:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending