The Student Room Group

June 12 2012 aqa biology gcse???

Scroll to see replies

What was the answer to the question after the biomass calculation question(0.6) ?
What was the actual question anyone remember ?
Agree with everyone regarding how there's so many graphs and how science works stuff, which I think is stupid. There should be a separate "graphs exam"... :biggrin:

A few are ok, but there were quite a few - I'd have preferred to have been tested on actual biological knowledge and facts to make the exam on the whole more biology-based, but I don't think those are too hard (it's just annoying when you think something is obvious but they're tricking you and you put an obvious answer which is wrong). I've either done ok on that bird one with the graph or rubbish, can't remember what I put. :s-smilie:

I did want the menstrual cycle to come up or the nervous system. Still, I know. I just could have got full 6 marks on that if they were 6 mark questions because I'm good at that stuff. Though they can obviously read our minds and know that everyone knows that stuff. :rolleyes:

Original post by tanvi_
guys, everyone is saying for the genetic engineering one that the gene was transferred to the embryo of the zebra fish? is that correct or is it enough to say the cell of the zebra fish...

That's sort of right if you expand a little, but it's the idea of a transferred gene and I'm sure you wrote more than that so you'll be fine. :smile:

Most people I know wrote about adult cell cloning as a mistake. Easily mistaken though. I wrote about how a gene is cut from the chromosome which is found in the nucleus, then about how the plasmid is cut using enzymes and the gene previously cut is inserted. Then I talked about it being inserted into whatever one it was (can't remember the order, but know it's put into one of them) and how it now carried that gene and had the characteristic described in the question. I think that's right as it said all that in the revision book I have. Sorry I can't remember the order or which animal and which order it was, I don't usually remember loads from exams apart from my answers.

I've written loads for each answer in my answer book though. I went over the lines a lot, but didn't go over the line at the side so they should see and it's ok. Just wanted to cover all the detail that I'd revised to make sure I got the question right.
Reply 262
LET's face it everyone. this bio exam was ridiculous. unfair for people who revised. and badly written.
Reply 263
Guys that paper is marked out of 45 which is converted into 100 ums? How can you talk about out of 60?
Reply 264
Original post by john4896
Guys that paper is marked out of 45 which is converted into 100 ums? How can you talk about out of 60?

it's marked out of 60... what r u talking about :/

We're talking about the new spec in this discussion. I'ts out of 60marks :tongue:
Reply 266
When did you guys start the course 2011? I started in 2010?
When did you guys start the course 2011? I started in 2010?

Well I started the course in yr9 in 2010 and I'm in yr 10 now so yh . We learnt the old spec first and then we had to learn the new spec.:mad:
What was the last 2 pages marks worth? was it 6 or 8?
This paper was certainly quite challenging. Would did you put on questions 4.ci and 4.cii (the ones about drawing conclusions from the plant hormones investigation. What did you put for 4.b; and the question on not all the energy being passed onto the plant? I put that the plant loses energy in respiration, and that some organisms die. Would you think these would be credited? What did you put for the two vaccine questions?
Reply 270
Will the grade boundaries go lower because generally everyone found its hard?
Reply 271
It was easyyy
Original post by JohnRutts
This paper was certainly quite challenging. Would did you put on questions 4.ci and 4.cii (the ones about drawing conclusions from the plant hormones investigation. What did you put for 4.b; and the question on not all the energy being passed onto the plant? I put that the plant loses energy in respiration, and that some organisms die. Would you think these would be credited? What did you put for the two vaccine questions?

I put that plants lose energy in respiration and other living processes.
The vaccine question :- Antigens stimulate the white blood cells to produce antibodies which destroy particular pathogens.
The plant conclusion question:- The tip of the shoot responds to light.
I can't remember all my answers, sorry !!

What did you put for those questions ?
(edited 11 years ago)
I want to be a virologist and therefore Biology is the most important subject for me and yet this exam was so badly written and the mixture of knowledge based and graph based questions was awful. I revised for hours to ensure my A*...I could have revised for 10000000000 hours or 2 seconds...it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

I agreed with the pharmacist, I didn't have a calculator to work out the final answer for Q8 and I put why the factors were the same on the 1st page as opposed to what factors were kept the same. This was the hardest biology paper I've EVER seen. If the grade boundaries are 46 for A* then I'm okay I think..(depends on the mark scheme). But don't forget that ISA's have the power to change your final grade.

I have dropped at least about 6 marks but knowing how specific the mark scheme is I've probably lost more.
I myself did not find it all too challenging, but know a lot who did. I disagreed with the pharmacist but personally do not think that was a fair question as we were not told whether Drugs A+B could work together or not
Reply 275
I didn't get to finish the last two questions (8b and 8c).

I really hope the grade boundaries are low.
Reply 276
Original post by JohnRutts

That's what i put but i also mentioned loss of energy via heat and movement :smile:
Reply 277
Original post by Crystallouise99
The vaccine question :- Antigens stimulate the white blood cells to produce antibodies which destroy particular pathogens.

That's exactly what had! :biggrin:
Reply 278
Original post by Crystallouise99

Can you remember what you put for the pharmasist question? can anyone!? :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Reply 279
Guys what did you write for 1b? It was about the variables that should be controlled? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending