The Student Room Group

French Edexcel 19 June 2012

So, for the research-based essay in our exam, do we need to include footnotes with websites, books, reports ect.

Because our French teacher has absolutely no idea what is going on.

Scroll to see replies

rocki-i
So, for the research-based essay in our exam, do we need to include footnotes with websites, books, reports ect.

:/

no idea.
what is yours going to be on?
we studied Candide by Voltaire :P
I'm hoping for an 'explain the progression of the protagonist's emotions/personality throuhgout the text' type question lol
Reply 2
FestiveReece
:/

no idea.
what is yours going to be on?
we studied Candide by Voltaire :P
I'm hoping for an 'explain the progression of the protagonist's emotions/personality throuhgout the text' type question lol

We did the Luice Aubrac filme.
I'm hoping for some kind of character development question.
It's still going to be awful :P
Reply 3
we've been told we just need a bibliography, so i'm hoping no referencing is needed :s-smilie:
rocki-i
We did the Luice Aubrac filme.
I'm hoping for some kind of character development question.
It's still going to be awful :P

at least you two have teachers...
Mine has had personal issues for a while now.
30missed lessons last year in one solid chunk,whole of november this year,and now 5 hours in the past week alone.
i see my A slipping away.
Even the B i got last year as a result of such heavy absence can't comfort me...
:'(

but i agree re the research question ! :frown:
the discursive i hope is okay.
out of curiousity,when writing them,how do you do them ?
either of you :smile:
Reply 5
FestiveReece

For either of the essays I generally follow the Intro, Paragraph 1, Paragraph 2 (then sometimes Para. 3), Conclusion structure
And have a little list of points/grammar/etc I want to include. And just sort of work around that... :rolleyes:
You?
Reply 6
FestiveReece

The question I have over this weekend is
discutez l'un des themes les plus importants du film.
selon vous, que vuet nous dire le realisateur.

So i'd do an intro, then a paragraph explaining one of the themes. Then one explaining what message the director is trying to give. And then a conclusion.

I'd also throw in a million different tenses
rocki-i
The question I have over this weekend is
discutez l'un des themes les plus importants du film.
selon vous, que vuet nous dire le realisateur.

So i'd do an intro, then a paragraph explaining one of the themes. Then one explaining what message the director is trying to give. And then a conclusion.

I'd also throw in a million different tenses

cool :smile:

And with discursive essays,how do you do those aswell?
I'm trying to check we've been taught the right way lol
Mine follow the basic structure of :
Intro
Para 1: For-using things like 'De nombreuses personnes déclarent qu'il existe...blahblahblah.De telles personnes ajouerait blahblahblah.Selong quelques études blah'

Para 2: En revanche.....ceratines disent qu'il faut qu'on reste..blah.Selon eux...blah.d'ailleurs...blah.Ils affirment que que la supposition concernée est,en fait,faux.etc

Conc: j'en viens a conclure que....j'abonde dans le sens de...blah
lol

have we been taught to write discursive essays in the same manner?
emeleh
For either of the essays I generally follow the Intro, Paragraph 1, Paragraph 2 (then sometimes Para. 3), Conclusion structure
And have a little list of points/grammar/etc I want to include. And just sort of work around that... :rolleyes:
You?

same
:smile:
that's okay/
i can relax! lol

do you follow the same 'some say/some studies have shown/etc' with use of a billion connectives between them? Lol.

it doesn't sound impressive in english haha
Reply 9
FestiveReece
same
that's okay/
i can relax! lol

do you follow the same 'some say/some studies have shown/etc' with use of a billion connectives between them? Lol.

it doesn't sound impressive in english haha

haha yeah i always feel like i use too many connectives too! always got some however, furthermore, on the other hand etc in each paragraph :biggrin:
but i agree i'd never write an essay in english sounding like it. i guess it shows your range of vocab and stuff though :smile:

Also pretty much been taught the exact same thing for discursive essay as you, I think thats what Edexcel have given as guidance on their resources and stuff I'm sure I have a sheet from them telling you to do that somewhere... haha
emeleh
haha yeah i always feel like i use too many connectives too! always got some however, furthermore, on the other hand etc in each paragraph :biggrin:
but i agree i'd never write an essay in english sounding like it. i guess it shows your range of vocab and stuff though :smile:

Also pretty much been taught the exact same thing for discursive essay as you, I think thats what Edexcel have given as guidance on their resources and stuff I'm sure I have a sheet from them telling you to do that somewhere... haha

Ok good! :smile:
I was reading the other day and thought 'are we the only ones writing like this?'
I'm glad we aren't haha.
Reply 11
FestiveReece
Ok good! :smile:
I was reading the other day and thought 'are we the only ones writing like this?'
I'm glad we aren't haha.

Ah i totally know that feeling! sometimes i feel my teacher is in her own little mark scheme but feels reassuring to know others are on the same wavelength as us :smile:

Have you done your a2 oral yet?
emeleh
Ah i totally know that feeling! sometimes i feel my teacher is in her own little mark scheme but feels reassuring to know others are on the same wavelength as us :smile:

Have you done your a2 oral yet?

Same!lol

No,not yet.
10th AS oral retake (i was 1 off an A lasy year :/!)
11th A2 oral

it'll be a nightmare 2 days...

My teacher isn't in AGAIN.
i think i'll have to settle with a B now...
We must've missed about 30+hours this year now aswell as the 30+ lasy year...
Reply 13
FestiveReece
Same!lol

No,not yet.
10th AS oral retake (i was 1 off an A lasy year :/!)
11th A2 oral

it'll be a nightmare 2 days...

My teacher isn't in AGAIN.
i think i'll have to settle with a B now...
We must've missed about 30+hours this year now aswell as the 30+ lasy year...

ahhh you'll get your A in AS easy then!
ahh thats awful totally not fair on you! its hard to self teach a language i'm guessing... a B is still an achievement though :smile: keep going and you could still get an A anyway!
emeleh
ahhh you'll get your A in AS easy then!
ahh thats awful totally not fair on you! its hard to self teach a language i'm guessing... a B is still an achievement though :smile: keep going and you could still get an A anyway!

we can hope! lol

yeah,i'm resigned to it but i remain slighlty optimistic in a sense too.
When's your oral?
soon?
Reply 15
FestiveReece
we can hope! lol

yeah,i'm resigned to it but i remain slighlty optimistic in a sense too.
When's your oral?
soon?

keep the optimism! :yep:
yeah mines on the 22nd of april, or around about then! yours? or have i already asked this :s-smilie: apologies if i have lol!
Reply 16
rocki-i

According to my teacher, who is a senior examiner (so I hope she knows what shes on about):

We only do one RBE and then we do the creative or discursive essay. And the lovely translation. Grrr...

If you are doing the arts for the RBE (literature, films, plays etc) the you don't need a bibliography, but you do need quotes. Although, if you do find relevant information from an external source I think you can add it, in a bibliography of footnote, but I would check with a tutor first.

However, if you are doing one of the topics for the RBE (aspect of modern society, a historical period or a geographical region) you do need to add a bibliography or footnotes (this is advised in place of referencing in the essay, as this adds to your word count, whereas the 2 former suggestions do not).

I have to study both arts and a geographical region. :rolleyes: For both languages.

I hope this kinda helps, because I think I just rambled.
Reply 17
Alika186
According to my teacher, who is a senior examiner (so I hope she knows what shes on about):

We only do one RBE and then we do the creative or discursive essay. And the lovely translation. Grrr...

If you are doing the arts for the RBE (literature, films, plays etc) the you don't need a bibliography, but you do need quotes. Although, if you do find relevant information from an external source I think you can add it, in a bibliography of footnote, but I would check with a tutor first.

However, if you are doing one of the topics for the RBE (aspect of modern society, a historical period or a geographical region) you do need to add a bibliography or footnotes (this is advised in place of referencing in the essay, as this adds to your word count, whereas the 2 former suggestions do not).

I have to study both arts and a geographical region. :rolleyes: For both languages.

I hope this kinda helps, because I think I just rambled.

Oh, that's strange. We looked at a film about the French resistance during WW2, but we've been doing it as an art essay, even though we've been throwing in loads of things about the history of it, and then referencing so making it more of a history essay.
My teacher is completely useless.
Reply 18
rocki-i
Oh, that's strange. We looked at a film about the French resistance during WW2, but we've been doing it as an art essay, even though we've been throwing in loads of things about the history of it, and then referencing so making it more of a history essay.
My teacher is completely useless.

Is it Le Dernier Metro?

We had to study that, as an arts though. But we did have to learn about the history. However, we were not told about referencing like a history essay...:confused:
Reply 19
Alika186
Is it Le Dernier Metro?

We had to study that, as an arts though. But we did have to learn about the history. However, we were not told about referencing like a history essay...:confused:

No, we're watching Lucie Aubrac.
I think I'm just going to write the essay and then add some links/book titles anyway and try and find some quotes.
My teacher hasn't said anything about including quotes though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending