The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
talk about uni applications after uve completed AS, nows not the time to get arrogant!
Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
Salutations to my fellow TSR'ians. :smile:

I'm currently completing my GCSE's (hopefully :colonhash:), and I was just slightly officious of a few things about the Cambridge Maths course.

Simply, I've had such a rapacious fervor for theoretical Physics since I was fourteen. I was self-teaching myself AS-level Physics when I was 15, and studying with A-level students this year, helping them out with a couple of predicaments here and there in Mechanics :smile:. Although, I've come to realise that I'm not in favour of the superfluity of Physics at times with all the gratuitous wording and sheerly banal forms of having to write so rigorously to mark-schemes. To study a more theoretical-base of Physics, would it be more sagacious to study Mathematics or Natural Sciences? Saying this, my envisionment is that Mathematics is the aphoristic form of everything and retracts from the otiose form of English and humanities which I really do loathe.

I've read around C1-C2, and those aren't too laborious, and have been familiarising myself with FP1, and I hope it's not too onerous. Please don't ascribe sentiments that I'm arrogant because I hope to apply to Cambridge. :P I see many people here asserting, "I've achieved X A*'s, can I apply", when it's conspicuous to an oaf that they can and are just pretentious.

I'm sorry if I blabbered on like a highfalutin chump, but that's my fashion. :h:

N.B: I've read around Physics primarily; Feynman's lectures, QED, Six Easy problems and I've read some books by Greene, and also I've perused over Einstein's papers. I'm hoping to read more Russell and other Mathematical works over the Summer.

Thanks ever so much m'Lords and Ladies. *humble bow*.

Original post by iluvmaths
talk about uni applications after uve completed AS, nows not the time to get arrogant!

Haha, I know! :P. It's just that this isn't about Cambridge alone, it's also pertaining to other Universities and courses. I'd thought I'd post here because people here provide archetype answers. :rolleyes: :colondollar:
Reply 4

I'm currently completing my GCSE's (hopefully :colonhash:), and I was just slightly officious of a few things about the Cambridge Maths course.

Simply, I've had such a rapacious fervor for theoretical Physics since I was fourteen. I was self-teaching myself AS-level Physics when I was 15, and studying with A-level students this year, helping them out with a couple of predicaments here and there in Mechanics :smile:. Although, I've come to realise that I'm not in favour of the superfluity of Physics at times with all the gratuitous wording and sheerly banal forms of having to write so rigorously to mark-schemes. To study a more theoretical-base of Physics, would it be more sagacious to study Mathematics or Natural Sciences? Saying this, my envisionment is that Mathematics is the aphoristic form of everything and retracts from the otiose form of English and humanities which I really do loathe.

I've read around C1-C2, and those aren't too laborious, and have been familiarising myself with FP1, and I hope it's not too onerous. Please don't ascribe sentiments that I'm arrogant because I hope to apply to Cambridge. :P I see many people here asserting, "I've achieved X A*'s, can I apply", when it's conspicuous to an oaf that they can and are just pretentious.

I'm sorry if I blabbered on like a highfalutin chump, but that's my fashion. :h:

N.B: I've read around Physics primarily; Feynman's lectures, QED, Six Easy problems and I've read some books by Greene, and also I've perused over Einstein's papers. I'm hoping to read more Russell and other Mathematical works over the Summer.

Bruddah when man waz ur age man was shottin strally's G
mandem is 16 fam smoke some ganja, have a fap, enjoy life..
if man want a galdem den man need to chill yeah? sfe g.
Reply 5

Erm.....Much as my intuition leans towards the predisposition of consideration that this post contains within its subtext a measure of jest to be levelled at a precognition of the gentrified constabulary.

I'm actually going to reply to this as if it were serious, from what I can make out is being asked.

If you want to study theoretical physics, the Natural Sciences course is the one to do. The Maths Tripos contains some theoretical physics in the applied maths half of the course, but it is quite a minority, and much of the course is highly abstract maths without any physics links. (That's not saying it's not used in or relevant to physics, but the link to physics is not considered important in the tripos. It's maths for the sake of maths)
Please don't use adjectives like that in your Personal Statement.
Reply 7

For Theoretical Physics, do the maths course. Maybe Maths with Physics if you're not sure. Concentrate on your GCSEs first.
Original post by The Mr Z
Erm.....Much as my intuition leans towards the predisposition of consideration that this post contains within its subtext a measure of jest to be levelled at a precognition of the gentrified constabulary.

I'm actually going to reply to this as if it were serious, from what I can make out is being asked.

If you want to study theoretical physics, the Natural Sciences course is the one to do. The Maths Tripos contains some theoretical physics in the applied maths half of the course, but it is quite a minority, and much of the course is highly abstract maths without any physics links. (That's not saying it's not used in or relevant to physics, but the link to physics is not considered important in the tripos. It's maths for the sake of maths)

Thank you ever so much for the response that doesn't require me to smoke weed or have promiscuous sex. :redface:
Reply 9
Thank you ever so much for the response that doesn't require me to smoke weed or have promiscuous sex. :redface:

Imagine that as an entry requirement to Cam on UCAS Track :redface:
Reply 10
I'd hate to play you at Scrabble..
Also, surely your use of the word "officious" at the start is completely incorrect... It doesn't make sense.
Anyone else needed a dictionary whilst reading this?
Reply 13

Edit: It's slightly annoying to be negged in all honesty by people who merely pass over this with no significant responses.

do english instead
I'm sorry if all of you are offended by my use of the English language. I was born in India, and I've moved across at the age of 12. I had a tutor(for free) for English who was approximately 70 years old, as I couldn't converse in any formidable form. Before any of you ask, my tutor was my Uncle's uncle who hasn't achieved any qualifications (before people castigate me for believing I'm aristocratic or something).

I'll be negged for this, but "officious" also means nosy/inquisitive. Words in the English language are polysemous. They have many meanings, and just because you're used to one form, doesn't mean others are not correct.

People are perturbed by this, but the only reason why I talk as such, is because my family do not have the affluence to buy me IPads or books, so my tutor would provide me with Kant/Nietzsche and other texts which I'd read. I've had to reach a GCSE standard of English within 1 year, and then he told me to sedulously carry on. Once again, I'm sorry if anyone sees me as attempting to be ostentatious.

I don't want this thread to digress from the crux and become a pity-story/flame war. *sighs*.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by above.the.empyrean
i'm sorry if all of you are offended by my use of the english language. I was born in india, and i've moved across at the age of 12. I had a tutor for english who was approximately 70 years old, as i couldn't converse in any formidable form.

I'll be negged for this, but "officious" also means nosy/inquisitive. Words in the english language are polysemous. They have many meanings, and just because you're used to one form, doesn't mean others are not correct.

wag1 g u from india too, balle balle!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by snow leopard
Anyone else needed a dictionary whilst reading this?

I was still lost.... i thought mathemeticians/ physicists were lazy with words..... i mean we use three dots for therefore....
Original post by ColdKant
wag1 g u from india too, balle balle! Chak de phate!!!!

Haha. :smile:
You are practically a shoe-in.
I'm sorry if all of you are offended by my use of the English language. I was born in India, and I've moved across at the age of 12. I had a tutor for English who was approximately 70 years old, as I couldn't converse in any formidable form.

I'll be negged for this, but "officious" also means nosy/inquisitive. Words in the English language are polysemous. They have many meanings, and just because you're used to one form, doesn't mean others are not correct.

People are perturbed by this, but the only reason why I talk as such, is because my family do not have the affluence to buy me IPads or books, so my tutor would provide me with Kant/Nietzsche and other texts which I'd read. I've had to reach a GCSE standard of English within 1 year, and then he told me to sedulously carry on. Once again, I'm sorry if anyone sees me as attempting to be ostentatious.

Dude... i'm lost..... ok i understand most of it but speak to people and try to use the words they would use... most people might fully understand you the...

Latest

Trending

Trending