The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Above.The.Empyrean
Salutations to my fellow TSR'ians. :smile:

I'm currently completing my GCSE's (hopefully :colonhash:), and I was just slightly officious of a few things about the Cambridge Maths course.

Simply, I've had such a rapacious fervor for theoretical Physics since I was fourteen. I was self-teaching myself AS-level Physics when I was 15, and studying with A-level students this year, helping them out with a couple of predicaments here and there in Mechanics :smile:. Although, I've come to realise that I'm not in favour of the superfluity of Physics at times with all the gratuitous wording and sheerly banal forms of having to write so rigorously to mark-schemes. To study a more theoretical-base of Physics, would it be more sagacious to study Mathematics or Natural Sciences? Saying this, my envisionment is that Mathematics is the aphoristic form of everything and retracts from the otiose form of English and humanities which I really do loathe.

I've read around C1-C2, and those aren't too laborious, and have been familiarising myself with FP1, and I hope it's not too onerous. Please don't ascribe sentiments that I'm arrogant because I hope to apply to Cambridge. :P I see many people here asserting, "I've achieved X A*'s, can I apply", when it's conspicuous to an oaf that they can and are just pretentious.

I'm sorry if I blabbered on like a highfalutin chump, but that's my fashion. :h:

N.B: I've read around Physics primarily; Feynman's lectures, QED, Six Easy problems and I've read some books by Greene, and also I've perused over Einstein's papers. I'm hoping to read more Russell and other Mathematical works over the Summer.

Edit: It's slightly annoying to be negged in all honesty by people who merely pass over this with no significant responses.

"with all the gratuitous wording and sheerly banal forms of having to write so rigorously" oh the irony...
Tell me, why can't you speak like everyone else? I'm not going to randomly whip out the ol' German language, so why can't you speak normal English?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
I'm sorry if all of you are offended by my use of the English language. I was born in India, and I've moved across at the age of 12. I had a tutor for English who was approximately 70 years old, as I couldn't converse in any formidable form.

I'll be negged for this, but "officious" also means nosy/inquisitive. Words in the English language are polysemous. They have many meanings, and just because you're used to one form, doesn't mean others are not correct.

People are perturbed by this, but the only reason why I talk as such, is because my family do not have the affluence to buy me IPads or books, so my tutor would provide me with Kant/Nietzsche and other texts which I'd read. I've had to reach a GCSE standard of English within 1 year, and then he told me to sedulously carry on. Once again, I'm sorry if anyone sees me as attempting to be ostentatious.

I don't want this thread to digress from the crux and become a pity-story/flame war. *sighs*.

I like the way you speak and if that's the way you were taught then you shouldn't have to apologise. Just be aware that some people may judge you unfairly by the way you speak.

And your OP made me smile - it doesn't deserve all of the negs.
Original post by Junaid96
"with all the gratuitous wording and sheerly banal forms of having to write so rigorously" oh the irony...
Tell me, do you have problems?

As a Muslim, you shouldn't be disparaging people.
As a Muslim, you shouldn't be disparaging people.

Why am I a Muslim now?
C1 and C2, ZOMG, so gifted.
Original post by notnek
I like the way you speak and if that's the way you were taught then you shouldn't have to apologise. Just be aware that some people may judge you unfairly by the way you speak.

And your OP made me smile - it doesn't deserve all of the negs.

I'm very grateful for that. Many people abhor talking to me, and it's not my fault. It's extremely toilsome to try to change to societies conventions, because it's an intrinsic facet of me now. You're part of the only few people on TSR who won't be tenacious to just neg me and then start haranguing me that I have mental issues, and many have stated that I should commit suicide because I'm arrogant. I, in no way, think I'm clever or intellectual; it's only an aspiration. I haven't achieved anything prominent or fascinating in my life at the moment, so I don't see any need to consecrate myself.

Thank you for understanding once again :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Junaid96
Why am I a Muslim now?

The very mode of aspersion and malice you gave me with an adamant view that I have mental problems; I responded back to you. Before clutching the band-wagon of spite and rancour, you could've just been courteous. I'm sure that everyone here is amiable, but it seems like you've all just wanted to form a clique and belittle me.
Salutations to my fellow TSR'ians. :smile:

I'm currently completing my GCSE's (hopefully :colonhash:), and I was just slightly officious of a few things about the Cambridge Maths course.

Simply, I've had such a rapacious fervor for theoretical Physics since I was fourteen. I was self-teaching myself AS-level Physics when I was 15, and studying with A-level students this year, helping them out with a couple of predicaments here and there in Mechanics :smile:. Although, I've come to realise that I'm not in favour of the superfluity of Physics at times with all the gratuitous wording and sheerly banal forms of having to write so rigorously to mark-schemes. To study a more theoretical-base of Physics, would it be more sagacious to study Mathematics or Natural Sciences? Saying this, my envisionment is that Mathematics is the aphoristic form of everything and retracts from the otiose form of English and humanities which I really do loathe.

I've read around C1-C2, and those aren't too laborious, and have been familiarising myself with FP1, and I hope it's not too onerous. Please don't ascribe sentiments that I'm arrogant because I hope to apply to Cambridge. :P I see many people here asserting, "I've achieved X A*'s, can I apply", when it's conspicuous to an oaf that they can and are just pretentious.

I'm sorry if I blabbered on like a highfalutin chump, but that's my fashion. :h:

N.B: I've read around Physics primarily; Feynman's lectures, QED, Six Easy problems and I've read some books by Greene, and also I've perused over Einstein's papers. I'm hoping to read more Russell and other Mathematical works over the Summer.

Edit: It's slightly annoying to be negged in all honesty by people who merely pass over this with no significant responses.

You're only doing C1, C2 and FP1 :rolleyes:

Your competitors are already doing STEP I, II and III.

You're very far behind your competition. Here are some articles of interest that you may want to look over:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7863473.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1241396/Maths-prodigy-Arran-Fernandez-14-youngest-Cambridge-student-1773.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8224565.stm

Pressure's on :cool:
Reply 28
Haha, I know! :P. It's just that this isn't about Cambridge alone, it's also pertaining to other Universities and courses. I'd thought I'd post here because people here provide archetype answers. :rolleyes: :colondollar:

Personally, myself, speaking individually, I would advocate that your good person makes supplication to alternative tertiary institutions that do not avail themselves of the interview process.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Also, surely your use of the word "officious" at the start is completely incorrect... It doesn't make sense.

Amen
Original post by BenjaminKyle
Stop trying to appear so eloquent and erudite with these unnecessary adjectives you throw in there every 5 or so words - a lot of them were used incorrectly anyway, look, as an example - I'll pick the first 'impressive' word you used one of your introductory sentences 'slightly officious of a few things about the Cambridge Maths course'. Officious means to meddle or interfere in something.

You're stuck in the middle of your own arrogant verbosity - try rewriting this thread without entwining unnecessary **** in your post that really overshadows the crux/main points of the questions you are trying to raise and the points you are trying to make.

Double amen to you.
Original post by deejayy
do english instead

Not quite an amen, but I'll give you a "fair shout" :smile:
I'm sorry if all of you are offended by my use of the English language. I was born in India, and I've moved across at the age of 12. I had a tutor(for free) for English who was approximately 70 years old, as I couldn't converse in any formidable form. Before any of you ask, my tutor was my Uncle's uncle who hasn't achieved any qualifications (before people castigate me for believing I'm aristocratic or something).

I'll be negged for this, but "officious" also means nosy/inquisitive. Words in the English language are polysemous. They have many meanings, and just because you're used to one form, doesn't mean others are not correct.

People are perturbed by this, but the only reason why I talk as such, is because my family do not have the affluence to buy me IPads or books, so my tutor would provide me with Kant/Nietzsche and other texts which I'd read. I've had to reach a GCSE standard of English within 1 year, and then he told me to sedulously carry on. Once again, I'm sorry if anyone sees me as attempting to be ostentatious.

I don't want this thread to digress from the crux and become a pity-story/flame war. *sighs*.

What do you need iPads for to learn English? Just walk outside and even a passing caterpillar could tell you that the word "officious" isn't used in an informal context.

I've learnt foreign languages - but I don't speak to natives as though I'm trying to prove that I'm better than them at their own language - I try to copy them instead, which is the correct way of doing things.
Reply 30
I'm very grateful for that. Many people abhor talking to me, and it's not my fault. It's extremely toilsome to try to change to societies conventions, because it's an intrinsic facet of me now. You're part of the only few people on TSR who won't be tenacious to just neg me and then start haranguing me that I have mental issues, and many have stated that I should commit suicide because I'm arrogant. I, in no way, think I'm clever or intellectual; it's only an aspiration. I haven't achieved anything prominent or fascinating in my life at the moment, so I don't see any need to consecrate myself.

Thank you for understanding once again :smile:.

Are you saying you speak like this in normal life, to your classmates?
The very mode of aspersion and malice you gave me with an adamant view that I have mental problems; I responded back to you. Before clutching the band-wagon of spite and rancour, you could've just been courteous. I'm sure that everyone here is amiable, but it seems like you've all just wanted to form a clique and belittle me.

Adamant view my arse, I asked you the question of whether you had problems. Your English can't be that great if you couldn't pick up on that 'subtlety' of language...

It's no band-wagon, either. And notice you've actually managed to use normal idiomatic language there - why can't you do that all the time?

I don't want to form a clique either. Again, you incorrectly used a high level piece of vocabulary just to sound smart. "Group" would have done just fine.

I think you should take a few mins and chill, brah....
Original post by deejayy
Are you saying you speak like this in normal life, to your classmates?

People will truly satirise me now, but I have very few friends of my age. I spend most of my days being wistful, and my only friends are people who are older than me, University students and 30 years olds who I game with.
Just delete this thread. You can't receive any help from TSR without acquiescing to what they want.
Reply 35
People will truly satirise me now, but I have very few friends of my age. I spend most of my days being wistful, and my only friends are people who are older than me, University students and 30 years olds who I game with.

Yeah but you still talk to people at school surely? And that would condition you to talk normally (to some degree).
Just delete this thread. You can't receive any help from TSR without acquiescing to what they want.

Why did you use the word acquiescing? WHY? Not many people know it so it's just plain stupid. Communication and language involves conveying ideas to others, and you're not going to be able to do that if you're practically speaking a foreign language to them. I'm not going to start talking to you by saying "I actually zustimmen with you my good kumpel. Vllt wenn you decided to ranger your wohnung you'd be able to faire what you wunchst"

Well that's a lesson learnt for you. If you want people to include you in their circles you have to learn to integrate with them.

One of your chums posted a message to your profile which I thought sums you up quite nicely:
"When I am old, my hoary beard and sesquipedalian conversations will allow me to be smug and philistine."
I have a friend who threw a keyboard at me for misusing the word "like" (at least he thinks that this was the case). For your sake, I hope you never meet him :colonhash:
Do you realise how pretentious you actually sound?
Reply 39
I had to google so many words haha

Latest

Trending

Trending