The Student Room Group

The big "critique my diet" thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by concubine
I just ate 3 eggs, 4 mushrooms, half a can of tomatoes, about 3 handfuls of kale, half a pepper, 2 chillies and some whole grain pasta with a little bit of cheese and a load of paprika and cumin.

Am I going to die? : ((((

Yeah, it's not loaded with sugar or anything.

Sarcasm from someone who thinks they're going to die from eating the food they did? Seriously?
I'm really trying to get fit and lose weight but I'm a "bad carbs" freak, I love white bread, white pasta, potatoes etc. I'm also not a massive chocolate/cake fan, but I love gummy sweets like Haribo. So my general diet (it's terrible) is -

BREAKFAST
If I have it, it'll usually be white toast with either butter or jam, and a glass of the vimto squash.

LUNCH
Usually a white (:facepalm2: ) tortilla wrap with cold chunky chicken and some ketchup, followed by Pom Bear crisps. Usually a glass of pepsi.

DINNER
Tends to be something quick and not very healthy. Chips, potatoes etc. I usually end up having something like microwave macaroni cheese or lasagne. Only dinner I'd consider healthy is jacket potatoes with chicken and salad. Usually pepsi with it.

SNACKS
An apple or a pear, 2 or 3 custard cream biscuits (my weakness :colone: ) occasionally chocolate or Haribo sweets (once or twice a week).

So.. how can I improve it? It doesn't help that I'm a massively fussy eater - the only salad I eat is cucumber and tomato, the only veg I eat are peas and sweetcorn/corn on the cob, I won't eat anything that's in a sauce other than cheese or tomato, and I'm on a tight budget. I'm going to try and cut out chocolate completely and only have ONE custard cream if I've done at least half an hour of exercize (either jogging or exercize bike at the moment), going to try and eat more fruit, drinks... I hate water so is squash a better alternative? Thanks in advance :redface:
Reply 322
Original post by madders94
I'm really trying to get fit and lose weight but I'm a "bad carbs" freak, I love white bread, white pasta, potatoes etc. I'm also not a massive chocolate/cake fan, but I love gummy sweets like Haribo. So my general diet (it's terrible) is -

BREAKFAST
If I have it, it'll usually be white toast with either butter or jam, and a glass of the vimto squash.

LUNCH
Usually a white (:facepalm2: ) tortilla wrap with cold chunky chicken and some ketchup, followed by Pom Bear crisps. Usually a glass of pepsi.

DINNER
Tends to be something quick and not very healthy. Chips, potatoes etc. I usually end up having something like microwave macaroni cheese or lasagne. Only dinner I'd consider healthy is jacket potatoes with chicken and salad. Usually pepsi with it.

SNACKS
An apple or a pear, 2 or 3 custard cream biscuits (my weakness :colone: ) occasionally chocolate or Haribo sweets (once or twice a week).

So.. how can I improve it? It doesn't help that I'm a massively fussy eater - the only salad I eat is cucumber and tomato, the only veg I eat are peas and sweetcorn/corn on the cob, I won't eat anything that's in a sauce other than cheese or tomato, and I'm on a tight budget. I'm going to try and cut out chocolate completely and only have ONE custard cream if I've done at least half an hour of exercize (either jogging or exercize bike at the moment), going to try and eat more fruit, drinks... I hate water so is squash a better alternative? Thanks in advance :redface:

I really think you need to train yourself not to be such a fussy eater, especially when it comes to fruit and veg. You're seriously lacking nutrients on that diet and you know it. Try eating a new vegetable every week maybe? Cut out the fizzy drinks, they are pure rubbish. Squash is probably a better alternative, but just pure water is best. Buy a filter jug if you don't like tap water.

If you really care about your health you will need to make big changes, don't try to change everything at once though or it will be too much. Learn a few key recipes that are nutritious and practice making them.

Click the FAQ link in my sig for more info about a good diet.
Want to eat cleaner, and get much fitter. (with exercise, obv)

Yesterday:

Breakfast: porridge with banana, cup of tea with milk/sugar

Lunch: Tiger bread sandwich with ham, cheese, lettuce, cucumber, olives and jalapenos (I'm a bit of a fanatic); Small multipack crisps; Apple; Tea w m/s

Snack: crisps (don't have much in the house at the moment); tea w m/s

Dinner: Spaghetti puttanesca (homemade)

Snack: melted cheese on a slice of toast with Worcester sauce; tea w m/s

I don't need to lose any weight, so portion sizes are fine as far as I can tell, not sure how bad the cheese/sugar/crisps thing everyday is. Don't think I can give up my teas.
(edited 11 years ago)
I just joined, and this is my first post - please don't think I'm a troll :biggrin:

I'm a 20-year-old female, and my ultimate aim is to LOSE STOMACH FAT. I'm skinny enough as it is (163cm and 48kg) and I still have a slight belly :frown: Here goes:

Breakfast: One bowl of rolled oatmeal, with a few grapes/berries mixed in
Morning snack: A handful of almonds and an apple
Lunch: 1/2 cup of brown rice with broccoli or cauliflower, + gravy (this varies - from egg and mushroom curry to chili tofu to green beans to lentils) Occasionally, I substitute this with a 6-inch sub from Subway, with lettuce/tomato/cucumber/pineapple/cheese and no dressings.
Afternoon snack: An orange and a cup of sugar-free yoghurt (plus a kiwifruit, depending)
Dinner: Six egg whites and broccoli/cauliflower

I drink lots of water throughout the day, with a glass of milk before I go to sleep. I take some almonds in between, whenever I feel hungry! I go to the gym to tone up 3x a week, so I consume a protein shake immediately after each workout. I haven't been doing cardio lately because I don't want to lose any more weight from anywhere else in my body...what should I do to get a flatter stomach?
Reply 325
I'm 15, and I just want to get healthy and fit, since I'm really not at the minute :tongue:

Breakfast: A small bowl of porridge with berries mixed in or Cheerios with skimmed milk (and a coffee with skimmed milk)
Morning snack: An apple
Lunch: Wholemeal tortilla wrap with ham or chicken, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, shredded cabbage, spring onion and possibly some grated cheese
Afternoon snack: A banana/orange/kiwi/apple/some fruit!
Dinner: This could be anything really. It's usually balanced with about half a plate of vegetables, at least a quarter protein and the rest potatoes/carbs.

I'm going to aim to drink more water too, and cut out tea and coffee except for the cup in the morning. I'm also planning to do the Couch to 5K program to become fitter and probably do some body weight exercises to try and tone up a bit.

What can I do to improve this so it's healthier? :smile: Thanks!
Reply 326
Original post by pinkdoyenne
I just joined, and this is my first post - please don't think I'm a troll :biggrin:

I'm a 20-year-old female, and my ultimate aim is to LOSE STOMACH FAT. I'm skinny enough as it is (163cm and 48kg) and I still have a slight belly :frown: Here goes:

Breakfast: One bowl of rolled oatmeal, with a few grapes/berries mixed in
Morning snack: A handful of almonds and an apple
Lunch: 1/2 cup of brown rice with broccoli or cauliflower, + gravy (this varies - from egg and mushroom curry to chili tofu to green beans to lentils) Occasionally, I substitute this with a 6-inch sub from Subway, with lettuce/tomato/cucumber/pineapple/cheese and no dressings.
Afternoon snack: An orange and a cup of sugar-free yoghurt (plus a kiwifruit, depending)
Dinner: Six egg whites and broccoli/cauliflower

I drink lots of water throughout the day, with a glass of milk before I go to sleep. I take some almonds in between, whenever I feel hungry! I go to the gym to tone up 3x a week, so I consume a protein shake immediately after each workout. I haven't been doing cardio lately because I don't want to lose any more weight from anywhere else in my body...what should I do to get a flatter stomach?

You're already tiny so you really don't want to lose any more weight, like you said. You need to do a body recomposition, i.e. build more muscle so that your ratio of muscle to bodyfat changes. I am 2cm taller than you and weigh 70kg but I don't have much of a tummy these days and you can even see my top 2 abs.
I'd recommend reading the FAQ, the nutrition thread and the "thread for girls" in my sig (I have another post further up the page where you can see it!). You need to start a resistance programme lifting challengingly heavy weights and make sure you're eating enough calories to maintain your bodyweight whilst doing this. "Toning" won't do much to build muscle, thus your body composition will remain the same.
Reply 327
Original post by chloe--
I'm 15, and I just want to get healthy and fit, since I'm really not at the minute :tongue:

Breakfast: A small bowl of porridge with berries mixed in or Cheerios with skimmed milk (and a coffee with skimmed milk)
Morning snack: An apple
Lunch: Wholemeal tortilla wrap with ham or chicken, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, shredded cabbage, spring onion and possibly some grated cheese
Afternoon snack: A banana/orange/kiwi/apple/some fruit!
Dinner: This could be anything really. It's usually balanced with about half a plate of vegetables, at least a quarter protein and the rest potatoes/carbs.

I'm going to aim to drink more water too, and cut out tea and coffee except for the cup in the morning. I'm also planning to do the Couch to 5K program to become fitter and probably do some body weight exercises to try and tone up a bit.

What can I do to improve this so it's healthier? :smile: Thanks!

Add some protein to your breakfast, also some nuts/legumes to your snacks to get good fats. I eat cashews, they're high in both protein and fiber. Also make sure you're consuming fish to get some essential Omega-III.
Im trying to lose weight, this is what I am generally eating:-

Breakfast- 2x weetabix with skimmed milk

Lunch- chicken salad and mayo sandwich on wholemeal bread or cheese and tomato pasta pot or boiled egg and 2 pieces of low fat buttered white toast

Dinner- chicken & chorizo in sauce with mexican rice or oven baked salmon with broccoli, tomatoes and green beans or 8 chicken nuggets with half can of beans.

Then, unlimited fruit- often 2 bananas a day, maybe some grapes/apple/pineapple.

Also, i would welcome any healthy lunch/dinner ideas.
Reply 329
Hi, this time last year i was 12 stone 2 at 6 foot/6 foot1. i made a decision to lose weight and from then till January, i was committed and got down to 9 stone 9. Since January i haven't eaten very well and although havent put any on, i am going to go back to eating healthily as i want to lose a little more and generally feel amazing and lose some stomach fat.

Breakfast: 2 weetabix, skimmed or semi skimmed milk.
Lunch: Jacket potato and Beans/ Wholemeal sandwich ham and quavers.
Dinner: Chicken Breast with veg
Snacks: Apples.

That puts me on about 1000-1200 calories a day. Is there any recommendations people can make? i.e possible meals, snacks. Because i know minimum should be 1200. TBH i have a massive body complex, i need to lose this stomach fat and once i do, ill be happy. Also eating well really does make you feel good and so does losing weight, so my motivation is back!!
I need opinions on sugar. I'm looking into consuming more milk, and have found that skimmed UHT milk fits in best with my current diet but the sugar content is so damn high! 100ml has 5g of sugar, and my recommended sugar intake is 24g. Does sugar intake matter when you're already counting macros and calories? If I didn't count the sugar then I would probably be consuming 40-50g a day.
Reply 331
Original post by pineapple_thorns
I need opinions on sugar. I'm looking into consuming more milk, and have found that skimmed UHT milk fits in best with my current diet but the sugar content is so damn high! 100ml has 5g of sugar, and my recommended sugar intake is 24g. Does sugar intake matter when you're already counting macros and calories? If I didn't count the sugar then I would probably be consuming 40-50g a day.

I don't understand your question.

Most people who count macros simply count the amount of protein, carbs and fats that they eat. In that case, sugars are a type of carb so you would count it under that heading.

In some cases, people break down the macros slightly further and count the amount of protein, simple carbs, complex carbs, saturated and unsaturated fats. In that case, you would likely have seperate targets for sugars and complex carbs in which case you would count the sugars as, well, sugars.

Taking it even further - people often differentiate between different types of sugars they take in as part of their diet according to the different glycaemic and insulinigenic responses that they cause. For example, most people are happier to take in a fair amount of fructose through fruit then they are in taking sucrose via refined sugar in their tea/coffee.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 332
Looking to go on the slimfast milkshake diet my cousin lost a stone in just over 2 weeks by doing it!

Has anyone else tried it and can help me, im dieting as i don't have time for exersize due to work.

I'm 6'6", 17 and 12 stone if thats any use?
Original post by Southall
Looking to go on the slimfast milkshake diet my cousin lost a stone in just over 2 weeks by doing it!

Has anyone else tried it and can help me, im dieting as i don't have time for exersize due to work.

I'm 6'6", 17 and 12 stone if thats any use?

That's the most important part of the thread.

You need to put on weight if anything, I'm 6'1 and 12 stone 4, I'd say I'm quite athletic, about 17% body-fat dude to bad diet over the last months, which I'm working on now. But I know at 6'6 you must look skinny...
Reply 334
Look skinny but still packing abit, would like to loose atleast a stone!!

You ever tried the sake diet?
Reply 335
Anyone please? :smile:
You seriously don't need to lose weight. What you're calling flab is probably just excess skin or a lack of muscle. You don't need to lose weight, you need to hit the gym and lift more.
Reply 337
My upper half has fat, my bottom half (legs) is more muscle .. but seriously i do need to loose weight as working in mcdonalds has helped me put more on i might be abit heavier than 12 stone now...

what routine should i use with Shake diet?
Original post by Southall
My upper half has fat, my bottom half (legs) is more muscle .. but seriously i do need to loose weight as working in mcdonalds has helped me put more on i might be abit heavier than 12 stone now...

what routine should i use with Shake diet?

Dude at your height and size losing more weight really isn't good for you, go consult your GP.

I think you're somewhere around the bottom range of normal BMI, losing more weight would likely push you into underweight. Diets don't work long term anyway they're full of crap, you'll just go back to bad habits once you meet your target weight and stop dieting. You need to make time to go running or do pushups at home etc. build more muscle.
Reply 339
Edit: Think I'll increase my intake to about 1800 and do more exercises.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest