The Student Room Group

Music application 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Got auditions for Birmingham, Trinity, RWCMD and Guildhall coming up! Just wondering if any one knew how many scales or so they could ask? That is my major weak link and am worried they might just start asking countless scales... Know all my major and minor, and getting there with whole tones, but massively struggle with diminished 7ths etc... Obviously trying to learn them and what not, but wondered what other people are doing to learn them and how likely they are to be asked?
Reply 181
Original post by mrbharpist
Don't worry about it :smile: mine's the 22nd of November, and yes to do harp :smile: applying for RWCMD, RCM, RAM and Guildhall altogether, they're all within 4 weeks and have a week between each audition!! Where else are you applying?? I know, it's so scary, but I can't wait to hear back for offers!!

Ooh the day after mine - Good luck! those are good choices :smile: mine are quite spread out other than the RAM and trinity ones are on the same day which I'm pretty scared about :tongue: still waiting to hear back from RNCM :/. And applying to Guildhall too, so 5 in all. How are your pieces going?
Original post by rajwarner
Got auditions for Birmingham, Trinity, RWCMD and Guildhall coming up! Just wondering if any one knew how many scales or so they could ask? That is my major weak link and am worried they might just start asking countless scales... Know all my major and minor, and getting there with whole tones, but massively struggle with diminished 7ths etc... Obviously trying to learn them and what not, but wondered what other people are doing to learn them and how likely they are to be asked?

I had my Birmingham audition today and they asked me quite a few... couple of majors, harmonic & melodic minors, dominant & diminished 7ths and a chromatic.
Don't know what instrument you play but I'm a flautist and they kept picking on ones that went up to top C, probably because my high register wasn't that brilliant in my pieces.

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine were pretty awful and the girl who went before me said she messed up on most of them as well :tongue:
Hopefully they don't pay too much attention & put it down to nerves... :colondollar:
Reply 183
ahhha cheers, i play the trumpet and scales have always been the weak link for me, i'll get on to them soon as, still got a week and a bit until my first audition! Hope yours went well too!
Reply 184
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has got their audition date for RAM yet? I've got mine for RCM and Trinity :smile: (studying composition)?
Original post by Tilly87
Thank you :smile: you too! sorry for such a late reply, my laptop's broken and I've had to steal my bfs :tongue: my audition for RWCMD is on the 21st of november, what about you? and I play flute :smile: I take it you play harp? Where else are you applying? I've just got RNCM to hear back from now. it's all so close now - exciting but scary :s

My audition for RWCM is on the 21st too!
Reply 186
Original post by hpalmer88
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has got their audition date for RAM yet? I've got mine for RCM and Trinity :smile: (studying composition)?

I'm applying for composition and I've got nothing back from RAM yet just RCM and RCS x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 187
Hi, I'm applying for BMus voice at RCS, RWCMD, RCM, RNCM, Trinity, RAM and Guildhall and now have all my audition dates! First audition is in 6 days I'm so scared :s-smilie:
Reply 188
Original post by musicfingers
My audition for RWCM is on the 21st too!

Ooh yay :smile: what do you play?
Reply 189
Heard back from RNCM today, that's all of them now! Whoo :smile:
Original post by Tilly87
Ooh yay :smile: what do you play?

Piano :smile: wbu?
Original post by Tilly87
Ooh the day after mine - Good luck! those are good choices :smile: mine are quite spread out other than the RAM and trinity ones are on the same day which I'm pretty scared about :tongue: still waiting to hear back from RNCM :/. And applying to Guildhall too, so 5 in all. How are your pieces going?

Aww, don't be scared, I'm sure that it'll be absolutely fine, even if you will have to rush from one place to the other!! Sorry, I've completely forgotten, what instrument do you play again?? My pieces are going alright, still getting some mistakes which makes me really nervous!! How are yours going??
Ahh okay, good luck for that when it comes through!! I'm getting a tad worried, especially as we were meant to hear by the end of October, but there's still some time to go.

Can I just check with you about required piece for the RCM undergraduate audition - it states on the website:

Applicants should prepare Nadermann Sonatine op 6 (first movement) (Leduc Edition) or Zabel Concert Study no 1 in E flat, plus one contrasting piece.

Regarding the Naderman - do they mean Sonatina No.6 from '7 Sonates Progressives' Op.92? This is the only Naderman Sonatina that I can find (in the DipABRSM syllabus) It's in D minor.
Original post by thelostdove
Can I just check with you about required piece for the RCM undergraduate audition - it states on the website:

Applicants should prepare Nadermann Sonatine op 6 (first movement) (Leduc Edition) or Zabel Concert Study no 1 in E flat, plus one contrasting piece.

Regarding the Naderman - do they mean Sonatina No.6 from '7 Sonates Progressives' Op.92? This is the only Naderman Sonatina that I can find (in the DipABRSM syllabus) It's in D minor.

Yes, that's the one that I've been playing, and the one my teacher has said that they use, the one in D minor. I'm assuming you'll be playing the Nadermann?? How's the practicing going??
Yes, that's the one that I've been playing, and the one my teacher has said that they use, the one in D minor. I'm assuming you'll be playing the Nadermann?? How's the practicing going??

Yup I'll be playing the Naderman. Not too well I'm afraid !! I'm still making some mistakes >.< Trinity just informed me that my audition will be next week! :O :O :O I'm getting quite worried as I haven't heard from the RCM yet (but possibly because I applied for an overseas audition).
Original post by thelostdove
Yup I'll be playing the Naderman. Not too well I'm afraid !! I'm still making some mistakes >.< Trinity just informed me that my audition will be next week! :O :O :O I'm getting quite worried as I haven't heard from the RCM yet (but possibly because I applied for an overseas audition).

Same as me then!! I'm still doing mistakes too, it's so frustrating, just have to keep telling myself to keep at it - though I did a very stupid mistake and burnt my finger last night, so hopefully this won't affect my practicing too much!! Ohh my, good luck!! My first audition is next week too, very worried!! That could be possible, I heard back from RCM by the end of October :s-smilie:
Reply 196
Hi,

I am Neelesh from India. I am 23 years old and am very much interested in pursuing a degree in music(MMus Composition, MMus Studio composition or any other course that is relevant). I believe I am a rock guitarist, have been playing live and touring with various bands all over India for almost 5 years. I also play keyboards and bass. I have toured with a band as guitarist, bassist and a Keyboardist, playing in over ten cities, also opening for bands and various big music acts in India. I also have some experience working with softwares like Logic, Reason, Cubase, Nuendo and am currently pursuing courses on FILM Composition, Sound Design for Motion Pictures and Synthesis for Electronic music from SAE. I am currently working on a project with short films and giving music for them.
Please find some of my Music here in this Link : http://www.reverbnation.com/neelmusic

I have a degree in B.E(Hons) Mechanical Engineering from Birla Institute of Technology and Science(Pilani).
I am very keen on studying in Music. I would like to know how competitive is it to get in?, which particular criteria and certifications that I need to take?
I am going to take up trinity and ABSRM grade exams
Hi guys!

Got my trinity audition next tues and am starting to freak out about the written paper... Anyone who's done it know what it's likely to include?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mockingjay.
Hi guys!

Got my trinity audition next tues and am starting to freak out about the written paper... Anyone who's done it know what it's likely to include?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I sat it (and bear in mind, this was six years ago!), there was an essay and lots of dictation. The dictation was quite evil, so don't worry if you can't quite do it :nah:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
When I sat it (and bear in mind, this was six years ago!), there was an essay and lots of dictation. The dictation was quite evil, so don't worry if you can't quite do it :nah:

Thanks!

Yep safe to say I'll be pretty horrendous at any kind of dictation they give me haha...
:tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest