The Student Room Group

Music application 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by 5McD
Yeah ive done a bit of conducting with a local brass band and community orchestra, and I'm doing musical direction for a amateur operatic production this year which I'm really enjoying :smile:

That sounds really good! I've only ever conducted my very small school orchestra, which has been hard work, to say the least!
Reply 381
Original post by alexxxl94
That sounds really good! I've only ever conducted my very small school orchestra, which has been hard work, to say the least!

When I first tried it, it felt and looked really hard work lol...but I suppose ive just got more used to it now :smile:
had offers from Bristol and southampton so far! (rejection from Edinburgh) waiting on Goldsmiths and Oxford brookes which will be my insurance :biggrin: just need to get the grades first -_-
Reply 383
Original post by 5McD
When I first tried it, it felt and looked really hard work lol...but I suppose ive just got more used to it now :smile:

Same here! I think I was really dreadful when I first started, but it's definitely got easier as time's gone on! Conducting is like extreme multi-tasking, haha :smile:
Reply 384
Same here! I think I was really dreadful when I first started, but it's definitely got easier as time's gone on! Conducting is like extreme multi-tasking, haha :smile:

Now you mention it, it does seem like multi tasking! Never thought of it like that...probably I'll go back to being bad at it now because I can't multi task at all lol :smile:
Original post by Samuel.T
Guildhall Sept 2013! (Electronic Music)

Got my offer last week!

Going in September 2013 too!! Exciting!! That sounds like an interesting course!!
Reply 386
Original post by 5McD
Now you mention it, it does seem like multi tasking! Never thought of it like that...probably I'll go back to being bad at it now because I can't multi task at all lol :smile:

Haha, I think the more you think about all the different things you're trying to do at once, the harder it is! Ah, I'm sure you won't! :smile:
Reply 387
Anybody going to Nottingham for music this year?
Reply 388
Original post by Porscha!

I've applied there and have an offer from them, so I'm going to have a look around next week :smile: if I like it, either that or Huddersfield will be my insurance :smile: where else have you applied? :smile:
Reply 389
I've applied there and have an offer from them, so I'm going to have a look around next week :smile: if I like it, either that or Huddersfield will be my insurance :smile: where else have you applied? :smile:

Nowhere! I'm 24 years old and will be studying at Nottingham for Music part time (work as an instrumental teacher and live in Derbyshire).

Went to an open day a week ago - it was fabulous, really lovely department and the staff are really nice. :smile:
Reply 390
Hello all,
I have my grade 8 theory exam this week and was just wondering if anyone had any last minute tips?
Thanks
Original post by Emmester
Hello all,
I have my grade 8 theory exam this week and was just wondering if anyone had any last minute tips?
Thanks

I'm not quite at grade 8 yet, but the ABRSM music guide to theory parts 1 and 2 are lifesavers. I reckon you'd be able to do the exam just by learning those books off by heart, albeit a little stressful :wink:
No but seriously, I find that they've condensed the info in those books and that they're a great point of reference if you're filling in gaps during your revision

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 392

ME!! I loved it, just loved the uni and the department was great :smile:
Reply 393
Original post by lucychops
ME!! I loved it, just loved the uni and the department was great :smile:

YAY, did you go to the departmental open day? :smile: Do you have a conditional or unconditional offer? What instrument do you play?

I look forward to seeing you in September, though I'll only be there part time as I'm a 24 year old instrumental teacher. :smile:
Reply 394
Anyone off to trinity in September?!? :smile:
Reply 395
YAY, did you go to the departmental open day? :smile: Do you have a conditional or unconditional offer? What instrument do you play?

I look forward to seeing you in September, though I'll only be there part time as I'm a 24 year old instrumental teacher. :smile:

yeah i went to an open day and visit day the other week :smile: got a conditional offer, ABB, and play the piano and flute :smile:
aaahhh right, what instrument do you teach? :smile:
Reply 396
Original post by lucychops
yeah i went to an open day and visit day the other week :smile: got a conditional offer, ABB, and play the piano and flute :smile:
aaahhh right, what instrument do you teach? :smile:

Fingers crossed for making your offer. :smile:

I play and teach woodwind (single reed) and piano. However, my first instrument is clarinet by a generous margin. Really, really hoping to get a clarinet place in the university orchestra. Will definitely be joining clarinet ensemble as well as possibly the choir. Depending on whether I get into the orchestra or not I may well try to blag a place playing continuo in the Baroque orchestra so brushing up on my knowledge of figured bass ... though knowing my luck there will be a first study harpsichord there, LOL! :wink:
Hi~ me again :biggrin: sorry to be so annoying, but I've just found out that to apply for the join course at manchester, you apply via CUKAS. does anyone know if this affects my UCAS choices or do I have to re-apply or something?
Reply 398
Nowhere! I'm 24 years old and will be studying at Nottingham for Music part time (work as an instrumental teacher and live in Derbyshire).

Went to an open day a week ago - it was fabulous, really lovely department and the staff are really nice. :smile:

Ah, do you have an unconditional offer?
I looked around Nottingham yesterday- absolutely loved it! Completely agree with you! It's my insurance, because I still really love Newcastle's music department, and the entry requirements are lower at Nottingham, but I wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest if I didn't get the grades for Newcastle and ended up at Nottingham after yesterday :smile:
Hello everyone!
I cannot decide which uni should I enter

My target: Practical 70%+ Academic 30%, reputation, performance, songwriting and music production.

1. University of Southampton, rank around 12-16, high reputation, focus on academic stuff.
2. University of Hull, rank around 3X-47, I like the course content but the facilities are bad. How's the prestige?

Can anyone give me any opinion?
Thank you : )

Quick Reply

Latest