The Student Room Group

Cass or Warwick BS for MSc Finance? Help!

Hello everyone!
I am international student. Currently I have unconditional offers from:
1) Cass Business School - Msc Banking and International Finance and
2) Warwick Business School - Msc Finance.

Which of this is a best choice? Tuition fees and living costs are not important for me as I have scholarship that will cover all this expenses. Personally, I prefer Cass Business School because of its location in London and networking opportunities and I find course content also interesting. However, from different forums I have read a lot of bad feedback and horrible things about it and I've heard that warwick is more prestigious and has higher rankings - so now I am confused.

After graduation I will return back to my country, but also during the studies or for some period after graduation I want to undertake internship in big IB. So, which University provides better knowledge and networking opportunities? Which has higher level of placements in top IBs? And which Uni will bring greater overall value for the future? Thanks. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What kind of bad feedback did you read?
Reply 2
Hey! I'm finishing my MSc in Banking and International Finance at Cass now and I can assure you that we have excellent conditions both for studying and networking. Cass has weekly guest lectures and networking event and to be honest there's more networking opportunities than you can actually manage to undertake. However, I have to warn you that it is all up to you. It doesn't really matter if you go to Warwick or Cass, both of them are great business schools. If you want to secure an internship you just need to be actively and properly applying, have enough commercial awareness, and be able to take the tests they ask you to. If you are one of those people who has watched too much "Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps" movies (not saying that you are) and think that investment banking is cool you are just fooling yourself. I can assure you that once you start your course you will start seeing the world from a totally different perspective and understand that finance not only IB. Just consider all the other work options besides IB as well. (Big accounting firms, commercial banks, large companies etc.) Banks are interested in employing smart people and you can even have a degree in Chemical Engineering, Physics, or even History and you could still get a job if you are clever enough. What I'm saying is that a degree in Finance or Banking does not guarantee you a job or internship. However, Cass is definitely a great place to start from and they support you a lot with their careers services (CV's, covering letters, mock interviews etc). The rest is up to you. On top of that, the truth is that living in London is probably a lot more enjoyable than living in Warwick. When it comes to rankings, then there's plenty of them where Cass is way ahead of Warwick. Hope it helps.

Good luck.
Reply 3
Hi,

I have two friends who were at Cass this year and they are completely and utterly satisfied. Rankings are better than Warwick (check out FT rankings for European Business School). The school itself is modern and has good professors. I graduated my MSc there in 2008 and it was great back then as it is great now. I give it two thumbs up for networking and study environment. Hope this helps! Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by SeeThrough
Hi,

I have two friends who were at Cass this year and they are completely and utterly satisfied. Rankings are better than Warwick (check out FT rankings for European Business School). The school itself is modern and has good professors. I graduated my MSc there in 2008 and it was great back then as it is great now. I give it two thumbs up for networking and study environment. Hope this helps! Good luck.

Thank you - it helped! what about study facilities? - In one forum I read that there are limited study facilities and you need to come very early in order to insure place - is it true? Was it easy for you to get right job after graduation?
Reply 5
Original post by Pitne_For
What kind of bad feedback did you read?

Thank you for your response:
1) I read that it is very overpriced and has good reputation only because of maketing things and Cass will always be associated with City University, which is way lower in rankings than Warwick University. And also research quality is not very good - is it true?
2) I also read that almost anyone can get into it and so the background of students is not very good. (Actually I myself got offer three days after I submitted my application and one of my reference was still on the way, however I also got offer from Warwick 1 week after I submitted all the documemts) However I consider my backround to be quite good
3) It seems to me little bit strange that Cass puts in their website names like Margaret Thatcher, Tony Blair and Mahatma Gandhi as they are their famous alumni, while all of them are graduates of Oxbrige or LSE, however I checked that all famous graduates from Finance department listed on their webite are true Cass graduates and have really good careers.
Reply 6
Original post by viiakas
Hey! I'm finishing my MSc in Banking and International Finance at Cass now and I can assure you that we have excellent conditions both for studying and networking. Cass has weekly guest lectures and networking event and to be honest there's more networking opportunities than you can actually manage to undertake. However, I have to warn you that it is all up to you. It doesn't really matter if you go to Warwick or Cass, both of them are great business schools. If you want to secure an internship you just need to be actively and properly applying, have enough commercial awareness, and be able to take the tests they ask you to. If you are one of those people who has watched too much "Wall Street, Money Never Sleeps" movies (not saying that you are) and think that investment banking is cool you are just fooling yourself. I can assure you that once you start your course you will start seeing the world from a totally different perspective and understand that finance not only IB. Just consider all the other work options besides IB as well. (Big accounting firms, commercial banks, large companies etc.) Banks are interested in employing smart people and you can even have a degree in Chemical Engineering, Physics, or even History and you could still get a job if you are clever enough. What I'm saying is that a degree in Finance or Banking does not guarantee you a job or internship. However, Cass is definitely a great place to start from and they support you a lot with their careers services (CV's, covering letters, mock interviews etc). The rest is up to you. On top of that, the truth is that living in London is probably a lot more enjoyable than living in Warwick. When it comes to rankings, then there's plenty of them where Cass is way ahead of Warwick. Hope it helps.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response - it helped me. Actually I haven't watched that movies, I wanted to take internship at Investment Bank, because during my undergraduate degree I really liked all investment related courses more then corporate finance and accounting and I passed internship at Local Commercial Bank and found it not very exciting. Actually in my country there are few investment banks and they are very small and can't be campared to IBs in London, so I want to take this opportunity and get experience from top IB - will try to do my best and hope it will be possible. How about the time for working, while studying? Is the study load allows to work? And is there any cases of MSc Banking and International Finance graduates working in top IB? Finally, I wanted to ask is MSc Banking and International Finance is enough quantitative degree and is Cass internationally recognized?
Thank you,
Reply 7
Original post by apple_321
Thank you - it helped! what about study facilities? - In one forum I read that there are limited study facilities and you need to come very early in order to insure place - is it true? Was it easy for you to get right job after graduation?

I came on a corporate sponsorship deal with my employer so i had a job. Excellent reputation in the insurance business and my employer covered part of my tuition and also got a big raise a year later! Dude, you cannot miss if you go there. Keep in mind that, in the end, it is ALL up to you.
Reply 8
Regarding the facilities bro, this is not true because you can book em in advance (Bloomberg terminals and study rooms). Check out the site.
Reply 9
I came on a corporate sponsorship deal with my employer so i had a job. Excellent reputation in the insurance business and my employer covered part of my tuition and also got a big raise a year later! Dude, you cannot miss if you go there. Keep in mind that, in the end, it is ALL up to you.

Ok - thank you! But does anyone looks at the fact that Cass belongs to City University, which is not part of UoL or Russel Group and way lower in rankings then Warwick University? Yes at some rankings Cass is higher then WBS, but in FT MSc Finance Pre - experience for 2012, Wbs is second after Oxford and Cass is fifth after Cranfield and Imperial. How is overall reputation of Cass compared to Warwick? Yes I know that everything is up to me and will try to do my best :smile:
Reply 10
Look bro. Let me give you a few examples:

Have you heard of IESE Business School? One of the best in the world. Do you know which university it belongs to?

What about IE business school? Again, one of the best in the world?

There are many examples of this. My point is that people use whatever is more known and marketed and it is natural that we you go to a foreign country and you say that you graduated from Said Business School - everyone will ask what this is? And then you say Oxford and everybody knows it... Cass is a good brand in banking, finance, insurance, real estate and etc. It will get you an interview FOR SURE. It doesn't matter that it is part of City, trust me on that. In the end, both schools will give you what you are aiming at but one can give you more than knowledge - and this is Cass. My opinion. Cheers mate and stop wasting time on endless conversations with unknown people. I think that if you really want to get a top notch degree, then go for the Cass MSc in Finance (not the finance and banking and etc).
Reply 11
Look bro. Let me give you a few examples:

Have you heard of IESE Business School? One of the best in the world. Do you know which university it belongs to?

What about IE business school? Again, one of the best in the world?

There are many examples of this. My point is that people use whatever is more known and marketed and it is natural that we you go to a foreign country and you say that you graduated from Said Business School - everyone will ask what this is? And then you say Oxford and everybody knows it... Cass is a good brand in banking, finance, insurance, real estate and etc. It will get you an interview FOR SURE. It doesn't matter that it is part of City, trust me on that. In the end, both schools will give you what you are aiming at but one can give you more than knowledge - and this is Cass. My opinion. Cheers mate and stop wasting time on endless conversations with unknown people. I think that if you really want to get a top notch degree, then go for the Cass MSc in Finance (not the finance and banking and etc).

Ok - thank you. I got your point - but I can't change program in Cass now, because it is already late and I have a scholarship only for this year. I think Banking and International Finance will be also good as I like the course content and I think for working it should be ok. What program did you did at Cass? By the way I am female - not bro. Thank you for your time and experience - now I know that I am making right choice. :wink:
Reply 12
apple, forget what viiakas said. Cass is rubbish compared to msc finance at warwick. you want a good job? you want good career prospects? you want respect and a good paying job? pick warwick NOW. /thread
The fact that you got to Warwick's Msc Finance is already impresive (90 students for 2000+ applications this year). So with this programme in your resume, you only need to target firms with people who know how competitive this programme is. You are already showing some undelying skills.
Cass, on the other hand, has very good students, but also students that are not so good, so employers will look closer at your credentials to check you are not one of those not-so-good Cass graduates.

But that is just a guess.
Reply 14
There are at least 5 people competing for each space at Cass as well. This is true for all good schools, so I dont think it is important in this case.
Reply 15
Actually I applied to Warwick last year as well and got an unconditional offer "just like that " as well. And I know some of the average students from my University, who also easily get accepted into Warwick this year. Anyway, your studies should not give you only academic knowledge, but also some practical skills, which I think are more likely to be obtained in London then in Coventry. I think graduate from any University will need to proove to employers that they are good, name is name, but even graduates from top Universities can be grade-grublers, with narraw thinking and there is always a taugh competition and anytime graduates from even more higher ranked Univerities can compete with you.
Reply 16
Warwick and it's not even close. Cass' only advantage is that it's in London.
Reply 17
Hello everyone!

Which of this is a best choice? Tuition fees and living costs are not important for me as I have scholarship that will cover all this expenses. Personally, I prefer Cass Business School because of its location in London and networking opportunities and I find course content also interesting. However, from different forums I have read a lot of bad feedback and horrible things about it and I've heard that warwick is more prestigious and has higher rankings - so now I am confused.

After graduation I will return back to my country, but also during the studies or for some period after graduation I want to undertake internship in big IB. So, which University provides better knowledge and networking opportunities? Which has higher level of placements in top IBs? And which Uni will bring greater overall value for the future? Thanks. :smile:

I don't know about the networking opportunities at Warwick but don't expect much from Cass' networking events. Sure as viiakas said there are many presentations but for the most part they will not get you anywhere, these companies appear more for brand awareness and to explain very basic things.

I am a Cass student on a different course but out of those two courses I would choose Warwicks MSc Finance.
Hello everyone!

Look apple321, its easy to see who made new accounts just to post on this specific thread. The only 2 people supporting cass, look at viiakas and seethrough stats only ever posted on this thread obviously cass employed and promoting cass. I found out myself that cass is **** they just do loads of advertising and promoting even saying they are 3rd in uk business school in their prosectus which is utter bs. Just think of lbs Cambridge Oxford. Top 3 already and don't forget Warwick lse. Just trust your instincts about bad feedback and listen to the person who posted before me
Let's just make one point clear. As an academic institution, Warwick or wbs is still several steps ahead of Cass. Surely, Cass is improving but Warwick has definitely more quality. Legendary collision's assessment is perhaps a bit too harsh.
I would go for Warwick because you are an international candidate and reputation wise it will do you more good. MSc Finance at wbs is not perhaps their flagship programs ( MSc in Finance & Economics / MSc Financial Mathematics) but still a pure Finance program nonetheless.
Network and close proximity doesn't help that much because the only thing that employers do know is that the best graduates are found in Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick. Since Warwick is in that list, you should definitely give it serious thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending