The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

MAULS! WOOOH! Now all they need to do is get rid of the 22 ping-pong, and make scrums more strict. E.g. Only one reset, and penalty given (not a stupid free kick) against non-binding or whatever team. And if the penalties from this keep coming, march the penalties 10m, and give more penalty tries.

We also need extra front row reserves, especially in international games to avoid uncontested scrums. Teams should be able to name maybe 2 extra props and an extra hooker (making a total of 25 on the team), but only substitute them when absolutely needed and agreed by the ref.

What baffled me in the England game vs Scotland, was that Mears was fine to come back on after White got injured. Hartley is completely capable of playing at prop, so why make the end of the game boring and unfair (teams should never be reduced to 14 men unless a player is sent off). Bah, we can dream.
lnjames
MAULS! WOOOH! Now all they need to do is get rid of the 22 ping-pong, and make scrums more strict. E.g. Only one reset, and penalty given (not a stupid free kick) against non-binding or whatever team. And if the penalties from this keep coming, march the penalties 10m, and give more penalty tries.

We also need extra front row reserves, especially in international games to avoid uncontested scrums. Teams should be able to name maybe 2 extra props and an extra hooker (making a total of 25 on the team), but only substitute them when absolutely needed and agreed by the ref.

What baffled me in the England game vs Scotland, was that Mears was fine to come back on after White got injured. Hartley is completely capable of playing at prop, so why make the end of the game boring and unfair (teams should never be reduced to 14 men unless a player is sent off). Bah, we can dream.

Has Hartley played prop? Is he registered as being trained to play prop?

As for the scrums, I agree that they need policing more stringently but as a referee I've always found that after 2 pens a warning to the front rows that the next offender takes 10 minutes (irrespective of team) does wonders for discipline.

I think there's an argument for having a complete front row on the bench (23 in the squad) anything else is getting ridiculous.
The Referee
Has Hartley played prop? Is he registered as being trained to play prop?

"After an impressive series of 2005 Six Nations and World Championship performances in his second year at prop for England U19s, he was quickly drafted into the U21 squad for the equivalent tournament in Argentina later that same year, aged only 19, where he proved invaluable cover for all three front row positions."

So yeah, he can play any front row position. Dunno how good he is, but any Union scrum is better than a League scrum! :awesome:

About the warnings for front row players. The only problem would be that you'd have to follow through with your warning, and if so then there's the problem of uncontested scrums again. The team could substitute another player in order to make scrums possible, but I doubt they'd want to especially if it's early on in a game.
lnjames
"After an impressive series of 2005 Six Nations and World Championship performances in his second year at prop for England U19s, he was quickly drafted into the U21 squad for the equivalent tournament in Argentina later that same year, aged only 19, where he proved invaluable cover for all three front row positions."

So yeah, he can play any front row position. Dunno how good he is, but any Union scrum is better than a League scrum! :awesome:

About the warnings for front row players. The only problem would be that you'd have to follow through with your warning, and if so then there's the problem of uncontested scrums again. The team could substitute another player in order to make scrums possible, but I doubt they'd want to especially if it's early on in a game.

Fair enough then, but maybe he isn't registered for senior level (but maybe that could be sorted).

In the case of a prop being sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes, the team DOES bring on a replacement prop (they have to have at least 1 on the bench) unless the replacement has been used. When this happens, one of the loose forwards goes off temporarily.

Post sin bin, the player returns along with whoever had made way for the temporary replacement.
lnjames

I quite disagree. It should be incentive not to throw all your substitutes on at the end of the game in case of injury. In football, if someone gets injured and the team has used all 3 subs, they play with 10 men. Rugby should be no different.
In terms of the prop debate, I believe teams should have to carry 2 props and a hooker on the bench. Most hookers can't prop at a high enough standard (although John Smit is a definite exception!) and all it takes is one injury to a player who can't really prop trying to play there to cause massive trouble.
And I'm glad to see mauls back. I went to a school game last week where I remembered just how effective the rolling maul can be (as you could never drag them down at that level). Although it does mean Munster will be boring and dominant again :frown:
The Referee
And the lineout muck up is being reversed - same numbers coming back :biggrin:

Will you be watching Munster vs Leinster on Saturday? It ought to be a tasty match :yes:

:nope: Lack of Setanta makes me sad. :cry:

shunter7634
Although it does mean Munster will be boring and dominant again :frown:

Munster don't need the mauls to be dominant. And they are sure as hell not boring (if you are a supporter that is...).

The pile of stunned Hairsprays left in the wake of Doug Howlett in a couple of weeks should demonstrate this. :cool:

On the scrum point, it's safe to say I have absolutely no idea what goes on in there (full backs ftw!), but all I can suggest is that the referees get more strict with their calls. There are too many double/triple bluffs being played by the props when the scrums go down that if they refs were maybe slightly more strict people would be more inclined to hold it up. :dontknow:

The subs bench should have a full front row on there, so 8 on the bench. Limit the substitutions to 7 or whatever and allow the 8th sub in case of injury.

The only problem with that is that teams lie so I have no idea...
shunter7634
I quite disagree. It should be incentive not to throw all your substitutes on at the end of the game in case of injury. In football, if someone gets injured and the team has used all 3 subs, they play with 10 men. Rugby should be no different.
In terms of the prop debate, I believe teams should have to carry 2 props and a hooker on the bench. Most hookers can't prop at a high enough standard (although John Smit is a definite exception!) and all it takes is one injury to a player who can't really prop trying to play there to cause massive trouble.
And I'm glad to see mauls back. I went to a school game last week where I remembered just how effective the rolling maul can be (as you could never drag them down at that level). Although it does mean Munster will be boring and dominant again :frown:

Jon Smit...I was trying to think of his name when I querying lnjames about Hartley and hookers who can prop! Freddie Pucciarello (spl?) can cover all 3 FR positions (albeit at provincial - but I think he did at international as well).

The danger of injury is why all FR players have to be stated as being prop, hooker or able to do both (this has to be explicitly known as they have to be appropriately insured iirc).

If all the subs have been used and there is another injury, the team has to play with 14 - the only exception being the FR in the case of a tactical subtitution followed by an injury.
Did you see the spoof one re the ELV's? it was hilarious!
The Referee
Did you see the spoof one re the ELV's? it was hilarious!

Nah, got a link?

:rofl:

"Henson, who is known for his bat-like depth perception, must have smelt a rat"

This is gold.
pinkpenguin
:rofl:

"Henson, who is known for his bat-like depth perception, must have smelt a rat"

This is gold.

His spidey sense must be on the wane, given that he's contemplating retiring! A bit like Ashwin Willemse at the age of 27!!!!
pinkpenguin
On a properly Rugby-related note, mauls are coming back. ELV for pulling it down has been thrown out.

Thank god.

Worcester, and to a lesser extent, Munster can actually be competitive again!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLYY! munster will be 10x better now. The lineouts will have some sort of importance now...
lnjames
Nah, got a link?

The link's been removed, give me a minute and I'll quote the article
Here we go

Media foul-up ruins IRB surprise
Wednesday 01st April 2009
Matt Goddard: ELV ambassador

The IRB has admitted that Tuesday's media reports regarding the latest round of ELV recommendations were leaked as part of an elaborate April 1 hoax, and that the likelihood is that all the ELVs, including many of the initially-rejected one such as allowing hands in the ruck, will be globally trialled from August 1 this year.

The reports on Tuesday suggested that many of the current ELVs being globally trialled would be abandoned after an IRB council meeting on May 13, with only a few retained.

But the admission of a media gatekeeping error by the game's governing body means that this will now almost certainly not be the case.

"We had wanted to get into the April 1 spirit, make a practical joke to lift people's spirits in what have become tough times for our game in the current economic climate," said President Leonard Basset.

"We wanted to tell everybody they were getting the old laws back, lull them into that false sense of security, then spring our surprise at midday and give the real story, which is that we will have a further and more extensive ELV trial later this year.

"We just failed to take into account the time differences. Initially, we wanted the joke to start in New Zealand, but of course, early April 1 in Auckland is still late March 31 in the UK, South Africa and USA, so we tried to stop the 'leak'.

"It proved too late. Now the story has broken in those countries on a more serious day and everybody is taking them seriously.

"I can only apologise on behalf of the IRB and set the matter straight as of now. But it would have been so funny had you really thought the ELVs were going to be abandoned! Can you imagine?"

So, in actual fact, there will be a further global trial of all the current ELVs from August 1. Additionally, several other ELVs will be implemented.

They are:

Sanctions - All offences, ranging from serious foul play to being caught swearing to oneself on the stadium big screen and television replay, shall be punished with a free-kick.

Tackle and ruck - Players on their feet may play the ball with their hands.

Tackle and ruck - Players on their hands may play the ball with their feet.

Tackle and ruck - Referees will be assisted by new technology in the stadium lights which will immediately shine onto the pitch those snazzy yellow lines they use in television replays, to help them determine the presence of a gate and offside line.

Line-out and throw - Incorrect throw (not straight) the sanction is that a cow will be wheeled onto the pitch backside first, whereupon the offending hooker will be presented with a banjo and asked to strike the cow firmly on its posterior. If successful, the hooker may attempt the throw again.

The news is sure to cause embarrassment not only to the IRB, but also to the Unions who issued press releases on March 31 iterating their delight at the 'decision' to abandon the ELVs.

Planet Rugby rang the offices of the RFU for comment but were told nobody knew where Rob Andrew was, or for that matter, what he does.

However, in one interesting development, IRB referees' Manager Brady O Prein revealed that as he had become such a loyal, to-the-letter-of-the-laws servant fo the ELVs, Matt Goddard was to be appointed ELV ambassador for New Zealand and would head up the new ELV appreciation and development panel there ahead of the 2011 Rugby World Cup
Hey pinkpenguin, how do you think the Warriors will do against Quins tonight? Haven't seen Worcester in action much (apart from last week which was a bit dire), how'll they defend against mighty Monye?
The Referee
They are:

Sanctions - All offences, ranging from serious foul play to being caught swearing to oneself on the stadium big screen and television replay, shall be punished with a free-kick.

Tackle and ruck - Players on their feet may play the ball with their hands.

Tackle and ruck - Players on their hands may play the ball with their feet.

:p: Funniest ones IMO. Great article, imagine if it was true though! :eek:
lnjames
Hey pinkpenguin, how do you think the Warriors will do against Quins tonight? Haven't seen Worcester in action much (apart from last week which was a bit dire), how'll they defend against mighty Monye?

Please don't talk to me about last week :facepalm:

We have put a full on second team out. 5 first caps. Most of the 22 is of the academy. Only about 3 or 4 would have any chance of starting in a regular match. The captain is none other than the worst scrum half the world has ever seen in Mr. Matthew Powell.

Expect a cricket score of epic proportions.
pinkpenguin
Please don't talk to me about last week :facepalm:

We have put a full on second team out. 5 first caps. Most of the 22 is of the academy. Only about 3 or 4 would have any chance of starting in a regular match. The captain is none other than the worst scrum half the world has ever seen in Mr. Matthew Powell.

Expect a cricket score of epic proportions.

If it's an England cricket score you mightn't lose by too much!
Not looking good for the Warriors. 29-14, 57 minutes in and mighty Monye has two tries. Kitchener just gone in the bin. Elsewhere Wasps are leading Bath 11-9 at the Recreation Ground.

Edit: Try for Quins 4 minutes later, 34-14.

Quick Reply

Latest