The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Ireland ahead vs. NZ after twenty minutes - that counts as a win lads yeah?

EDIT:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5301
England are ****ing useless. Can't do anything right. This is going to be a very long 60 minutes. Cricket score incoming.

On another note, the Ireland and Wales games were excellent. Gutting for them to come so close, but great games nonetheless.
Reply 5302
This is ****. Forwards aren't getting about, defence isn't good, Flood isn't good... I'd bring Dickson and Farrell (think he's the bench FH) on for Youngs and Flood, see what happens.

One or two bright spots, scrum's not bad (other than the SA try), Joseph looks decent.
Reply 5303
Didn't know about the scrum rule that Will Greenwood just picked up on. It's awesome when referees don't know the rules. Steve Walsh must be a popular man in SA right now.
Reply 5304
I honestly didn't notice it, and I'm front row player too. I had that called a bit too much when I player hooker more than prop...
Reply 5305
Great effort in the 2nd half, but SA were just too good in the 1st.

I'm getting annoyed at this pro-Youngs bias... "penalty taken quickly by Dickson" is "quick thinking by Youngs on that penalty", "Dickson passes..." after a run is "nice run by Youngs, he passes". Youngs 2 triies were things that should've been done by any player with those oppotunities. Dickson is as good, if not better, at every facet of the game and his passing and leadership are well beyond Youngs'.
Original post by Roobsa
Didn't know about the scrum rule that Will Greenwood just picked up on. It's awesome when referees don't know the rules. Steve Walsh must be a popular man in SA right now.

One of the oldest rules in the scrum. It happens so rarely now since the ball never goes in straight, the chances of it going straight through the tunnel are slim.

Still trying to work out who was more clueless, Walsh or the massive clown in the Wales v Australia game...
Reply 5307
And Wales f**k it up yet again, another opportunity on a plate lost. Just goes to show how poor the forwards have been in the breakdown when up against a team like the Aussies with 8 penalties in the first half alone
Reply 5308
That's a result we can be content with I think. I feel like we should have held out longer at the end though for the drop goal.
another win down under for scotland! and another debut try scorer, maybe scotland should play southern hemisphere opposition instead of 6 nations and we might do well! also good to see wales choke again, for me the welsh are massivly overrate and shouldnt be considered the best northern hemisphere side untill they can consitently beat southern hemisphere sides. in the last 3 years they have only beaten argentina, samoa x2, fiji and namibia. compared to scotland who have beat australia home and away, samoa home and away, fiji, home and away, south africa, and argentina twice away.

I admit wales do have lots of quality individuals in their side and most of the lions back next year will probably be welsh though
Swag.

[video="youtube;bRHBugtaP90"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRHBugtaP90[/video]
Reply 5311
Have any of you been watching the Super Rugby?
Hi,

I am a 17 year old guy and I REALLY want to play for a rugby team. Ive never played before and have no idea how to play. I know I wont get into a team or anything straight away but want to start now and build up to becoming a good player by the time I sart Uni. However, I have no idea how to start playing or who to contact. Will I have to start from taking rugby lessons? Where do I start training and who with?

Any suggestions will be apprecaited!

PS: What is the diffrence between League and Union and which one should I start training?
Original post by wannabe_pilot
Hi,

I am a 17 year old guy and I REALLY want to play for a rugby team. Ive never played before and have no idea how to play. I know I wont get into a team or anything straight away but want to start now and build up to becoming a good player by the time I sart Uni. However, I have no idea how to start playing or who to contact. Will I have to start from taking rugby lessons? Where do I start training and who with?

PS: What is the diffrence between League and Union and which one should I start training?

Hello! Firstly, congratulations on your choice :borat:

What suggest you do is finding your local club online and contacting them by email/phone. See if you can get the details on their website.

You won't have to take 'lessons' as such. As long as you pick a decent-sized club, there will be the first team, as well as seconds/thirds/vets/colts etc etc. You'll probably slot in with the lowest ranked adult's team and train with them. These teams are normally made up of beginners and vets who can't keep up with the kids anymore!

You'll then start training with them and they'll talk you through everything as they do it. For the most part, this time of year is mostly handling skills, running skills and fitness related exercises as it's pre season. There will be very little contact. So now's an ideal time to join in!

Rugby is very very friendly, so all clubs will welcome a complete newbie with open arms. It's also a safety conscious game so will not let you do anything you haven't first been taught to do.

Hope this helps. :smile:

EDIT: Oh and on League vs Union.. I play both and prefer Union. It depends on where you live/are planning to go to university. Most places will have both League and Union clubs, but the majority of clubs in the north will be League and in the South/Wales will be Union.
Tbh I'd probably stick with Union because the player base is higher so you are more likely to find a group of relatively inexperienced/older players to train with. Rugby League doesn't necessarily have that luxury in some parts of the country.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by pinkpenguin
Hello! Firstly, congratulations on your choice :borat:

What suggest you do is finding your local club online and contacting them by email/phone. See if you can get the details on their website.

You won't have to take 'lessons' as such. As long as you pick a decent-sized club, there will be the first team, as well as seconds/thirds/vets/colts etc etc. You'll probably slot in with the lowest ranked adult's team and train with them. These teams are normally made up of beginners and vets who can't keep up with the kids anymore!

You'll then start training with them and they'll talk you through everything as they do it. For the most part, this time of year is mostly handling skills, running skills and fitness related exercises as it's pre season. There will be very little contact. So now's an ideal time to join in!

Rugby is very very friendly, so all clubs will welcome a complete newbie with open arms. It's also a safety conscious game so will not let you do anything you haven't first been taught to do.

Hope this helps. :smile:

EDIT: Oh and on League vs Union.. I play both and prefer Union. It depends on where you live/are planning to go to university. Most places will have both League and Union clubs, but the majority of clubs in the north will be League and in the South/Wales will be Union.
Tbh I'd probably stick with Union because the player base is higher so you are more likely to find a group of relatively inexperienced/older players to train with. Rugby League doesn't necessarily have that luxury in some parts of the country.

Thanks for your reply. So would it be best to contact the largest club in my area as there is more chance that they will be some newbies?

Also how long do you think it will take me to pick it up?

I am 5'7' and have a athletic physique and am quite fast. From what I know so far I would be best player a winger?

And btw I think I will choose Union after what you have told me as I am planning to go to Leicester/Birmingham.
Thanks for your reply. So would it be best to contact the largest club in my area as there is more chance that they will be some newbies?

Also how long do you think it will take me to pick it up?

I am 5'7' and have a athletic physique and am quite fast. From what I know so far I would be best player a winger?

And btw I think I will choose Union after what you have told me as I am planning to go to Leicester/Birmingham.

Yup, but 'big' doesn't necessarily have to mean 'in the highest league'. Google rugby clubs in your area and do a little research and see who looks friendly :smile:

I played for a women's uni team, so there were naturally loads of newcomers. If they had played other sports before and were athletic/quick/strong/had good handling skills, they tended to pick it up very quickly indeed. Just be confident, and if in doubt, run straight and tough!

You may well be a winger. Perhaps a centre or full back, or even a flanker. Your coaches will know where to put you! (but most newbies get stuck on the wing..)
Reply 5316
Hi,

Just get down to any local club and join in pre-season :smile: It wont be anything serious, so if the standard is too high for your liking you can find somewhere else to play for the actual season.

Union v League? Definitely union :tongue:
Reply 5317
Cannot wait for the rugby season to start. I'm twitching to scrummage\tackle again
For the first time ever I'm a little nervous for the new season.
I used to play no.4 in a boys team at Guisborough (best time of my life!) till the split of genders, went to a Ladies team and really didn't like it at all so went back to my home club to do some coaching.
This year I will start refereeing about U12's and I just hope I don't make a fool of myself! Seriously, so many complicated things to remember!
I'm looking forward to giving something back to the club that has always looked after me but has anyone got any tips? Based on experience of reffing or just players with good/bad referee experiences?
Cheers
Original post by Hannahmeg
For the first time ever I'm a little nervous for the new season.
I used to play no.4 in a boys team at Guisborough (best time of my life!) till the split of genders, went to a Ladies team and really didn't like it at all so went back to my home club to do some coaching.
This year I will start refereeing about U12's and I just hope I don't make a fool of myself! Seriously, so many complicated things to remember!
I'm looking forward to giving something back to the club that has always looked after me but has anyone got any tips? Based on experience of reffing or just players with good/bad referee experiences?
Cheers

I referee the young'uns every now and again, and they are okay at that age! The common mistake new (and particularly female) referees make is they feel the need to stamp their authority early so blow anything that moves as an infringement.

It's about finding the line between making the game flow so the kids enjoy it, which is obviously the focus at that age, and appeasing horrible naggy parents who want to see little Timmy dominate. If you end up doing any leagues or tournaments, you may want to be a little harsher, but for a friendly, the odd marginal forward pass from an obvious newbie isn't something to blow up :smile:

Don't take any nonsense from the parents. Keep talking to the kids all the way through. At that age, they won't care how old you are/whether you are a boy or a girl, whereas you'll be surprised how many parents do!!

Good luck. Keep us updated with how you get on!

Quick Reply

Latest