The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5620
What channel are they showing the decent matches on? I keep being stuck with only the ****ing England games.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5621
Original post by The Rusty Spork
What channel are they showing the decent matches on? I keep being stuck with only the ****ing England games.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wales South Africa is on BBC2 right now. Most on sky though.
Reply 5622
Original post by Louis.
Wales South Africa is on BBC2 right now. Most on sky though.

:facepalm2: Is there a list with all the games and the channels they are on? It is annoying me searching through because of rugby league :sigh:
Reply 5623
:facepalm2: Is there a list with all the games and the channels they are on? It is annoying me searching through because of rugby league :sigh:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/international-match/fixtures

That's a list of all the Autumn international games, no idea about who's covering them, I presume most if not all will be Sky. Personally I think BT sport do it very well, which is a surprise given how dull their football coverage is. Only seen Premiership games with them though, not any internationals.

The England autumn internationals are all on Sky. Wales and Ireland are both on the BBC, but I'm not sure about Scotland. I assume they're on the Beeb as well.
Reply 5625
My highlight of the day was Fourie's bit of skill to send Du Preez over for the try that sealed it. It'll be overlooked because he was offside, but the awareness and technique to pull it off was very impressive.
Reply 5626
Slightly off topic, but...

Does anyone know of anyone decent clubs in West London?

I'm moving down to my place in Notting Hill next week and quite like the idea of playing again. I've played at quite a high standard, so don't want some 'pub' rugby club, a place that takes training seriously!
Reply 5627
What a horrible day for injuries. Corbisiero out of the NZ game. Vunipola confirmed as out. Marler still doubtful. Might be extremely screwed at loosehead then.

Yarde (or Wade) not recovered either.

And Tuilagi probably missing part if not all of the 6 nations.

Well ****.
Original post by Louis.
What a horrible day for injuries. Corbisiero out of the NZ game. Vunipola confirmed as out. Marler still doubtful. Might be extremely screwed at loosehead then.

Well ****.

Injuries are becoming a larger and larger part of the game, sadly. Rugby is starting to gravitate more towards the strength of the squad to win now, which is going to bugger us up in particular. Cuthbert, Roberts, JD, Adam Jones, Evans; depth hasn't ever really been a forte of Welsh rugby.
Reply 5629
Original post by Louis.
My highlight of the day was Fourie's bit of skill to send Du Preez over for the try that sealed it. It'll be overlooked because he was offside, but the awareness and technique to pull it off was very impressive.

Same here. Watching the Wales game, I was very impressed with SA's overall running game.

Original post by Louis.

Well ****.

Heh. Can see it as a positive. We need to be less reliant on Tuilagi performing well each game in order for a good England performance. It'll do us good to play the 6N without him and see what develops.

Not too worried if we lose to NZ as long as we perform. Looking forward to it!

Original post by wrexhamfc
Injuries are becoming a larger and larger part of the game, sadly. Rugby is starting to gravitate more towards the strength of the squad to win now, which is going to bugger us up in particular. Cuthbert, Roberts, JD, Adam Jones, Evans; depth hasn't ever really been a forte of Welsh rugby.

With JD2 and Roberts out, do you reckon we'll see North starting in the centre? Gatland likes his centres big and he messed around with him there for one of the Lions game iirc.

Would love to see Hook starting 10 or 12 :moon:
Original post by Prandtl

With JD2 and Roberts out, do you reckon we'll see North starting in the centre? Gatland likes his centres big and he messed around with him there for one of the Lions game iirc.

Would love to see Hook starting 10 or 12 :moon:

Gatland likes his wingers big as well, which is why if we moved North, our game plan would probably change a lot. If North played in the centre, I would hope that Priestland didn't play because his crossfield kicks would become even more redundant than they are now. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gatland move North though; I mean, Jamie Roberts started his career as a winger before being repositioned on international duty.
Reply 5631

Mmm, no matter how well the Welsh team are doing you always get the sense they're a couple of injuries away from crisis. It's kind of the case for all teams I suppose but it just seems exagerrated with you guys.

Original post by Prandtl
Heh. Can see it as a positive. We need to be less reliant on Tuilagi performing well each game in order for a good England performance. It'll do us good to play the 6N without him and see what develops.

Not too worried if we lose to NZ as long as we perform. Looking forward to it!

Hopefully, but i'm fairly pessimistic given the options we have, too many mediocre 13s about. Hopefully i'm proved wrong though.

If the forwards lose their battle we'll get absolutely smashed. Nonu/B.Smith vs Twelvetrees/Tomkins looks pretty horrendous from our point of view, and Ashton's deficiencies will be exploited, especially if Savea's back. I think if we have to do a lot of defending we won't be up to it, so the forwards need to get the upper hand, let the backs play off the front foot and hope Farrell keeps the score ticking over. But even if that happens you can imagine a Wales/SA style game where we just wouldn't have the creativity to rack up enough points and a few bits of magic would undo us. Really struggling to see how we win this game.

Christ i'm full of negativity today :lol:
Original post by Louis.
Mmm, no matter how well the Welsh team are doing you always get the sense they're a couple of injuries away from crisis. It's kind of the case for all teams I suppose but it just seems exagerrated with you guys.

It's to our credit that we can always produce a good-to-very-good group of 20 players, but to our chagrin that we can't handle any more. Regular as clockwork. Lord only knows how New Zealand does it.
Reply 5633
It's to our credit that we can always produce a good-to-very-good group of 20 players, but to our chagrin that we can't handle any more. Regular as clockwork. Lord only knows how New Zealand does it.

It does almost force you into chucking the kids in though, and you've gotta be applauded for that. Not a clue how good this Cory Allen is but it's the kind of risk I get very jealous of. Would have been easy to take the conservative option and maybe use Hook and Williams in midfield, and Beck was a 'safer' choice tbh, but you've given Allen a chance and you'll probably find out a lot about him.

You identify potential very early and get them into the side as soon as possible. North is an obvious example, as an Englishman I can't imagine us chucking an 18 year old in on debut against South Africa, no matter how good we thought he was gonna be. If he was English no chance he's have 40-odd caps at 21. People have been calling for Wade for at least a year yet he has a single cap to his name, which was on a development tour anyway. There's a lot more caution on our side of the border, partly because we have a broader pool of players.
Original post by Louis.
It does almost force you into chucking the kids in though, and you've gotta be applauded for that. Not a clue how good this Cory Allen is but it's the kind of risk I get very jealous of. Would have been easy to take the conservative option and maybe use Hook and Williams in midfield, and Beck was a 'safer' choice tbh, but you've given Allen a chance and you'll probably find out a lot about him.

You identify potential very early and get them into the side as soon as possible. North is an obvious example, as an Englishman I can't imagine us chucking an 18 year old in on debut against South Africa, no matter how good we thought he was gonna be. If he was English no chance he's have 40-odd caps at 21. People have been calling for Wade for at least a year yet he has a single cap to his name, which was on a development tour anyway. There's a lot more caution on our side of the border, partly because we have a broader pool of players.

I suppose it makes it easier to throw in an eighteen year old when he's already 16/17 stone. I mean, I doubt Lomu would've debuted for the All Blacks at 19 if he was yet to fully develop his 18 stone frame by then. North is still very much an anomaly with his accomplishments at 21. Most stalwarts of this Welsh setup weren't capped until their twenties (Warburton was 20; Cuthbert 21; Phillips 21; Jenkins 22 etc). Can't really disagree with your point though; we've been a bit more eager to move on from the old guard (especially in the late noughties) through choice and necessity, which is probably harder when the old guard won you a World Cup. We still don't have any good props coming through to replace AJ and GJ though, which is becoming a major worry.

I don't watch much domestic rugby at all, so I can't really comment on Allen, nor Wade for that matter. All I know is that he can't be worse than Ashton, surely?
Reply 5635
I suppose it makes it easier to throw in an eighteen year old when he's already 16/17 stone. I mean, I doubt Lomu would've debuted for the All Blacks at 19 if he was yet to fully develop his 18 stone frame by then. North is still very much an anomaly with his accomplishments at 21. Most stalwarts of this Welsh setup weren't capped until their twenties (Warburton was 20; Cuthbert 21; Phillips 21; Jenkins 22 etc). Can't really disagree with your point though; we've been a bit more eager to move on from the old guard (especially in the late noughties) through choice and necessity, which is probably harder when the old guard won you a World Cup. We still don't have any good props coming through to replace AJ and GJ though, which is becoming a major worry.

I don't watch much domestic rugby at all, so I can't really comment on Allen, nor Wade for that matter. All I know is that he can't be worse than Ashton, surely?

Yeah I suppose North isn't the best example because he is a freak, kind of a Tuilagi equivalent I suppose. But other up and coming English guys, such as Yarde (21), Eastmond (24), Burns (23), Daly (21), B Vunipola (21), Twelvetrees (24), Kvesic (21), Wade (22) either haven't been given a chance or have only just been given a chance to make a spot their own. I'm being quite harsh here because Lancaster has done well with the likes of Mako, Launchbury and Farrell, but still a few of the guys above could have been blooded earlier. Barritt at 12 holding back Twelvetrees is just annoying. And things like Brown on the wing when you've got a bunch of actual wingers waiting to take a chance.

The biggest question marks over Wade are his defence so picking Ashton ahead of him can't really be justified. Assuming he's fit it seems like Wade will be in pole position for the 14 shirt come the 6 nations so everyone should get a look at him then, but it shouldn't have taken this long really. He's tiny but actually deceptively strong, I don't think his defence is quite as bad as many make it out to be. And he's one of the few English players who can create tries from absolutely nothing.
Reply 5636
Swing low sweet chariot.

Who's watching.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5637
Good start.
Reply 5638
Franks looked like a winger there :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5639
Really enjoyable half. Same problem every time I watch NZ though. The officials seem in awe of them and let them get away with murder. So many borderline high tackles, off-sides, holding up, coming in at the side. I know they were given a sin bin for it eventually but it could have happened much earlier.

Quick Reply

Latest