The Student Room Group

Does your car need to be clean before MOT?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You're more likey to pass on something borderline if the car is clean.

As others has said. A dirty car gives the impression of an unmaintained car.
Reply 21
Original post by JC.
It is true.
A pal of mine once had a car that failed on defective washers. When he checked it out the resevoir was empty.
Filled it up and took it back for a re-test and it passed.

It's a TEST - it can only pass or fail according to the rule book. They are not obliged to fix anything.

Depends where you take it I guess. I've never encountered such a pedantic garage.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Your car will not fail an MOT for being dirty.

It can if it is so excessively dirty that the tester can not test it properly.

"The vehicle, or any part or equipment on the vehicle is so dirty that examination is unreasonably difficult. "

This is going to be dirty on the underside mostly, and maybe some parts of the outside (windows, reg plate and lights), not the old bit of dirt on the roof or inside - as long as drivers seat and handbrake / driver controls are clear.

Original post by KCLeblanc
They can leave the rear seat belts out of the test, without thinking I put my car in with the back seats folded down.

They are meant to check the rear seats can be secured in an upright position - so they may just have put them down again after.

Original post by Aack
I've always had my car valeted for me by the garage, ready for collection after any work/MOT/service. No extra cost.

And whoever said you can fail for having dirty number plates - that's not true. The garage would fix that problem within a matter of seconds and the car would pass, assuming there's nothing else wrong.

They could tell you before the test, or fix it and retest after the test if they were nice, but I am pretty sure they can't do any 'work' on the car during the test - for instance removing a sticker on the windscreen which obscures the drivers view for instance.
Reply 23
Original post by rmhumphries
They are meant to check the rear seats can be secured in an upright position - so they may just have put them down again after..

Given the amount of junk in the back of the car I'd say that's unlikely.

From a legal point of view it's a car, but only because you're not allowed to put shed in the road outside your house.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
They could tell you before the test, or fix it and retest after the test if they were nice, but I am pretty sure they can't do any 'work' on the car during the test - for instance removing a sticker on the windscreen which obscures the drivers view for instance.

Someone on another forum posted they failed for having a satnav stuck to their windscreen obscuring the view - all they had to do was remove it and go for a retest.
Original post by Juno
Someone on another forum posted they failed for having a satnav stuck to their windscreen obscuring the view - all they had to do was remove it and go for a retest.

Exactly, but the tester themselves can't do that during the test I believe.
Reply 26
Might be worth checking all your screen wash ect is all the right levels too as you can fail for not having any...it's also 3 points if you get pulled over.
Anything on your window in your windscreen wiper area is a fail and some people have failed due to magic trees or dice hanging from mirror.
If your windows, mirrors or either number plate is deemed too dirty it can fail you can also get three points for this.
And in my opinion it would just be rude to take your car in if it was really dirty as they have to work with it, just a bit disgusting really :/

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 27
Exactly, but the tester themselves can't do that during the test I believe.

Yup, that's why it had to fail
I used to work in a car wash and people used to bring them in to get underneath cleaned for MOT but they weren't even dirty. You'll only need it cleaned if you've had like a previous oil leak or it's really bad but 99.9% of the time it isn't needed. I had some people who came to get the underneath of the car washed as their MOT had been failed but their cars were ridiculously dirty with oil everywhere. I've put my car through MOT about 5 times and have never cleaned it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
My dad has just washed, polished, and cleaned out all of the rubbish from my car as he is taking it to the MOT tomorrow.

I told him before, NEVER wash my car. I am capable of doing that myself. Yet he still does it, the loser.

Surely the MOT is just an MOT, we're not trying to sell it or impress anyone. Why would the guvna doin the MOT care if the car has bits of paper inside or a birdmuck stain on the roof? He just wants to see if it runs properly, surely?

You might think I am overreacting, but it's my car, I don't understand why my dad washes it without my consent, especially when he gives me excuses about the reasons.

You should consider yourself bloody lucky to have your parents clean the car!!! Tell me, how much do you contribute to keeping the car running, or does daddy pay for that as well?

And yes it is worthwile cleaning it because it can fail for having a dirty numberplate or windscreen!
It can fail for being dirty if:

The numberplaters are obscured
The windows are too dirty to see through
The lights are obscured

In addition, if the underside, or items requiring inspection in the engine compartment are really dirty or covered in oil, then the Tester can legally refuse to inspect it and you will have made an unnecessary journey.

Now, you ought to either clean your vehicle, or have it cleaned, regularly - as well as do periodic inspections. How can you tell if that wheel nut is rusting or loosening if it's caked with mud? Are you keeping an eye on your exhausts for corrosion? Not if it's under a layer of baked on grime.

Your vehicle is a potential weapon, it could kill you or someone else very easily. Respect it enough to keep it clean and make sure nothing is about to fall off, please?
Original post by M4LLY
You should consider yourself bloody lucky to have your parents clean the car!!! Tell me, how much do you contribute to keeping the car running, or does daddy pay for that as well?

And yes it is worthwile cleaning it because it can fail for having a dirty numberplate or windscreen!

Grow up.
Grow up.

Says the guy who's ranting on a forum because his dad dared to clean his car for him in preparation for an MoT which he clearly doesn't know enough about?
Reply 33
Grow up.

Perhaps it is you that needs to grow up. You clearly aren't responsible enough to take the necessary steps in order to prepare 'your' car for its MOT so daddy does it for you. Tell me, how much do you contribute to keeping the car running?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending