The Student Room Group

He wants deposit first and getting mot tomorrow for the car

I have a work friend, he wants to sell a car

He says he's going for the mot tomorrow

And it will pass first time

However to get the car, I require to pay a £50 deposit, then I can pay the full amount tomorrow

Is this fair, or could he do me in
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
I think this is quite fair.
What confuses you?
Well deposits are often a bit more formal than your friend just asking for £50.. unless they are pretty skint in which case they are wanting this £50 for the MOT bill itself?

I'd probably just ask a bit about it, you've already seen/inspected the car right?
Reply 3
I haven't inspected it yet. However I haven't formally agreed to the purchase.

I thought maybe the work colleague could say the deposit is the contract and therefore If the mot fails I'll have to pay for the repairs.

However it could be fair
Surely you’d want to know the outcome of the MOT before agreeing to buy it or put any money down?

All seems a bit weird on their part for the sake of one day.
Original post by Analyst89
I haven't inspected it yet. However I haven't formally agreed to the purchase.

I thought maybe the work colleague could say the deposit is the contract and therefore If the mot fails I'll have to pay for the repairs.

However it could be fair

If you haven't inspected it or agreed to buy it I'm a bit confused why you paid a deposit? Bearing in mind this isn't a hotel/business where you can book, pay a deposit then cancel it and get it back, it's a private sale and by paying a deposit many would assume you had checked and agreed to buy the car.

Like if a someone I knew was selling a car my first thing would be to look at it, I'd be a bit taken aback if they asked for money before I'd seen it or said I would buy it. If I went to see a car and wanted it and say didn't have the full cash on me or needed to wait a few days, I might then offer a deposit to secure it/take it off the market, but I would expect to have pretty much 0 legal protection here.

Any seller telling you a car will pass MOT first time should ring alarm bells, like 'So why didn't you MOT it?'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending