The Student Room Group

Need cheap books for Criminolgy & Psychology

Hi everyone, I am starting a degree in Criminology and Psychology in October and even though I haven't got a reading list yet, i would really like to find some cheap books to give me some back ground reading on the subjects.

Can anyone recommend some good books for this course and does anyone know where I can find cheap books?

Any help would be great

Thanks
Reply 1
Thanks for your reply but I was really looking for textbooks and things I can keep with me as I progress... But I will definitely take a look at the website; it will give me more of an idea of how to structure my essays, another thing I am worried about. So thank you
Reply 2
I don't know about cheap books but i'll ask my friend who studies criminology at Durham who just went through first year, however I am about to start Psychology at UCL and have an interest in forensics and found that books written by profiles such as paul briton and david canter helpful as a starting point - I know it's not 100% criminology but it does give some relevant context rather than reading text books which you'll be doing enough of at uni i'm sure! I don't think either of their books are expensive on ebay or amazon and librarys stock them.
Reply 3
Thanks for your help Laura. Will take a look!

Sophie x
Reply 4
Many universities advise not to buy any books before starting the course. However, I understand starting a degree is exciting and you want to gain a basic understanding of the subject! I wouldn't advise buying any books because the text books you'll need next year are going to be quite expensive. When I want to learn more about a topic I go to my local library and browse the relevant section. Perhaps your library has an online catalogue where you can search for the parts of psychology you're interested in? I would suggest only looking in the academic section of the library as the other sections will mostly contain completely irrelevant books. There will almost definitely be books such as 'Introduction to Social Psychology' or 'Understanding Biological Psychology'. Remember to look at the back of the books which will classify whether the book is for undergraduates or not. Good luck! :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire S
Reply 5
Ok Thanks for the advice, Robert. Really appreciate everyone's help!
Reply 6
Original post by SophieAlex
Ok Thanks for the advice, Robert. Really appreciate everyone's help!

What uni are you going to? As different unit have different reading lists...:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending