The Student Room Group

Retraining in Psychology

I graduated with a BSc (hons) not in Psychology, went on to complete my PGCE and have since taught as a Maths teacher for 9 years with a specific interest in SEND.

For a variety of reasons, I’m wanting to retrain, and psychology is something I keep coming back to.

Typical teacher, EdPsych looks right up my street, but I recognise it’s extremely competitive. But when I look at other careers relating to psychology I’m a bit overwhelmed and confused as to what leads to where and which accreditation is needed!

Is there a course I can do that would keep my options open in terms of EdPsych or maybe clinical? And/or is there a website/book that I could look at?

Also, if anyone has retrained in psychology, first hand experiences would be very welcome :smile:
If you don't have a psychology degree, you'll have to do a conversion course - it will give you the option of going for any of the standard practitioner psychologist courses, including Ed psych
Original post by Googly32
I graduated with a BSc (hons) not in Psychology, went on to complete my PGCE and have since taught as a Maths teacher for 9 years with a specific interest in SEND.

For a variety of reasons, I’m wanting to retrain, and psychology is something I keep coming back to.

Typical teacher, EdPsych looks right up my street, but I recognise it’s extremely competitive. But when I look at other careers relating to psychology I’m a bit overwhelmed and confused as to what leads to where and which accreditation is needed!

Is there a course I can do that would keep my options open in terms of EdPsych or maybe clinical? And/or is there a website/book that I could look at?

Also, if anyone has retrained in psychology, first hand experiences would be very welcome :smile:

@Googly32
We seem to have been in a near identical situation, I've worked in education for nearly 11 years teaching and doing student support.

The key thing to remember is DO NOT do a course that is not accredited by the British Psychological Society.

As you already have a degree you might be best doing an MSc Psychology (conversion course) over 2 years, rather than doing a psychology degree, potentially for 3 - 5. I taught full time and did my conversion course at Arden, which is fully accredited and you can get a student loan for, even if you have a PGCE (or a 'fourth year of study' as we called it back in the day) - this all applies if you are in England, think its slightly different for Scotland.

Arden gave me the option of doing blended learning in a study centre like Manchester, London, Birmingham, Leeds etc or I could do it 100% online. I chose the latter and had a great time, their Virtual Learning Environment is the best I have ever seen. For an unbiased review, check out their report with the QAA (a bit like ofsted) and their teaching excellence framework (TEF) review both readily available online.

IF you had a psychology degree, strictly you would not need to do a masters in the subject (although it always helps), you might as well step across to a masters conversion, rather than down to do another degree - of which funding would be tricky for

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
...just to add, if you are interested in the SEND route and didn't want to commit too as much study you could retrain as a SENDco which I have also done. You might be interested in a PG Cert in Special Education Needs which meets the criteria of the national award.

The course is relatively cheap, I paid for mine myself and its more than digestible. Leeds Beckett are ace with a 100% online option, you might be able to sneak an application in for 23-24; induction week finishes on the 20th October

https://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/courses/special-education-needs-coordination-pg-cert/

Marc

Quick Reply

Latest