The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AtomicMan
Last year the cut-off was 7A*s.

Hmm, thats interesting what you said, how can they asses our "extensive extra-curricular involvement" without reading our personal statement :s-smilie:

They weren't overly clear on how they use them at the open day but the impression I got was that they read them ( obviously ) but they don't factor in their decision making. I'm sure if they read one that basically said I am doing medicine for the prestige, money and the chances to get with nurses they would reject that applicant, but they don't score them and use them to decide who they interview. The impression I, and my friends who went to the talk of a different day, got was that they don't seem to care hugely about your PS. It seems like it's 90% academics from what they said ( that's not a figure they said, but reading between the lines the vast majority of their decision is based on grades ).
Reply 21
Original post by HopefullyMedic
They weren't overly clear on how they use them at the open day but the impression I got was that they read them ( obviously ) but they don't factor in their decision making. I'm sure if they read one that basically said I am doing medicine for the prestige, money and the chances to get with nurses they would reject that applicant, but they don't score them and use them to decide who they interview. The impression I, and my friends who went to the talk of a different day, got was that they don't seem to care hugely about your PS. It seems like it's 90% academics from what they said ( that's not a figure they said, but reading between the lines the vast majority of their decision is based on grades ).

Oh okay. Another thing I found confusing was that on their website and their admissions brochure, they dont state an explicit A* cut off. However, in the prospectus is says you need 7A*s+. I think they are maybe just trying to hide their A* cut off more than widen participation?
Oh okay. Another thing I found confusing was that on their website and their admissions brochure, they dont state an explicit A* cut off. However, in the prospectus is says you need 7A*s+. I think they are maybe just trying to hide their A* cut off more than widen participation?

It's just annoying they had to go and change everything. Last year people knew where they stood, if you got 7+ A* then you're fine. This year it just seems really ambiguous.
Still, I love the uni so I'm applying despite the confusion!
Where else do you want to apply?
Reply 23
It's just annoying they had to go and change everything. Last year people knew where they stood, if you got 7+ A* then you're fine. This year it just seems really ambiguous.
Still, I love the uni so I'm applying despite the confusion!
Where else do you want to apply?

Yeah, the location is really nice. The uni has its own station aswell ^^ and its campus based with the queen liz hospital right behind the medical school!

Im applying to UCL, Manchester and St.Georges ^^

How about you?
Yeah, the location is really nice. The uni has its own station aswell ^^ and its campus based with the queen liz hospital right behind the medical school!

How about you?

Ah I volunteer at manchester uni hospital :smile:.
I'm thinking of B'ham Nottingham, Newcastle, Edinburgh ( or maybe Leeds not Edin.... ).
Reply 25
Ah I volunteer at manchester uni hospital :smile:.
I'm thinking of B'ham Nottingham, Newcastle, Edinburgh ( or maybe Leeds not Edin.... ).

Cool choices. Edinburgh :redface: Have you climbed mt kilamanjaro, built all the schools in africa, played the violin at the royal albert hall, won a gold medal in london 2012 and single-handedly run your own school? :biggrin:

Just kidding :tongue: You must have some cool EC's though to consider Edin
Cool choices. Edinburgh :redface: Have you climbed mt kilamanjaro, built all the schools in africa, played the violin at the royal albert hall, won a gold medal in london 2012 and single-handedly run your own school? :biggrin:

Just kidding :tongue: You must have some cool EC's though to consider Edin

Not that many ECs, but I did work in a hospital in Thailand this summer for two weeks, so I hope that qualifies :smile:

How do you feel about manchester's interview process? I think I'd be terrfied!
lol at how the b'ham med school applicants page has turned into a discussion of edinburgh and manchester :smile:
Reply 27
Not that many ECs, but I did work in a hospital in Thailand this summer for two weeks, so I hope that qualifies :smile:

How do you feel about manchester's interview process? I think I'd be terrfied!
lol at how the b'ham med school applicants page has turned into a discussion of edinburgh and manchester :smile:

Yes, it does seem abit scary. But looking at the medical stalkers thread, it seems they give around 60% of intervewees offers. I think if I get a manchester interview, I will just make friends with the other candidates before the interview so the discussion becomes less awkward :smile:
Reply 28

How about you?

QE :love: It's an amazing hospital, but they have hospitals all over the West Midlands too. I was at City Hospital (near the city centre) and Wolverhampton last year, and now I'm in a psychiatric hospital in Dudley. They're all good though, even if you do have to be up early cause it's bit of a trek compared to the 20min walk to the QE.
Reply 29
Original post by My-My-My
QE :love: It's an amazing hospital, but they have hospitals all over the West Midlands too. I was at City Hospital (near the city centre) and Wolverhampton last year, and now I'm in a psychiatric hospital in Dudley. They're all good though, even if you do have to be up early cause it's bit of a trek compared to the 20min walk to the QE.

Yeah it looks amazing from the outside :biggrin: Looks-wise, definantly up there with UCLH :P

One thing I just clocked while reading the prospectus, its suggesting clinical years are during 4th and 5th year, rather than from years 3-5 at many other medical shcools. Is this suggestion fact or fiction?
Reply 30
Original post by My-My-My

2 minute walk to the QE from Harborne! My housemate got lucky, but I'm down in Worcester :s-smilie:
Reply 31
Looks like I'm going to be applying here, wooo :cool:

Their website seems to suggest they like ECs, can anyone shed any more light on this. I might email them and ask.
Pretty sure I'm applying here too! Hey guys, guess this is who I'm going through the turmoil of UCAS 2012/13 with :eek: I'm Steph, you may know me from the Current Year 12 thread. If not, hi!
Reply 33
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Pretty sure I'm applying here too! Hey guys, guess this is who I'm going through the turmoil of UCAS 2012/13 with :eek: I'm Steph, you may know me from the Current Year 12 thread. If not, hi!

I voted for you as worrier of the year for the medicine awards XD
I voted for you as worrier of the year for the medicine awards XD

:eek: :tongue: Do I really worry that much? *worries about worrying* :wink: Haha, I probably would have too. I was actually making a contingency plan with my parents in the coffee shop this morning before my UKCAT. Turns out I didn't need it, but I like to worry!
Reply 35
Original post by halii_94
Thanks, i did do on Wednesday but they've not got back to me yet

Hey, did Birmingham medical school ever get back to you? My sister is thinking of applying for Medicine and is in the exact same position as you (A* in everything else but A's in English lit and Lang)

Original post by Phil1541
Hey, did Birmingham medical school ever get back to you? My sister is thinking of applying for Medicine and is in the exact same position as you (A* in everything else but A's in English lit and Lang)

THey just copied and pasted their entry requirements :colonhash:
I'm gonna ring them up I think
Reply 37
I am definitely applying here as well! Awesome university!
Reply 38
Hey everyone. I'm just linking this to the index as the official 2013 thread. Good luck guys! :h:
Reply 39
Yeah it looks amazing from the outside :biggrin: Looks-wise, definantly up there with UCLH :P

One thing I just clocked while reading the prospectus, its suggesting clinical years are during 4th and 5th year, rather than from years 3-5 at many other medical shcools. Is this suggestion fact or fiction?

Not the case (unless they're planning quite a dramatic change!)

Third year is 90% clinical and most work is done on the wards in various hosiptals in the West Mids.

Original post by ManicJM
2 minute walk to the QE from Harborne! My housemate got lucky, but I'm down in Worcester :s-smilie:

Worcester is apparently really good, my housemate was there. And it means you won't get Hereford next term, which your housemate might, as Med School seem to do quite well at making sure you get a good mix of near, middle and far placements.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending