The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Stiffmeister
do you have proof of this?

'GCSE's:

Normally, applicants must offer A* grades in each of English (either English Language or English Literature), Mathematics and all science subjects. Integrated Science (double certificate) is acceptable as an alternative to single sciences
Overall GCSE performance will be considered'

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/med/medicine.aspx

From 'Entry Requirements'. Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AtomicMan
Proof of what?

that theres no gcse cut-off
Reply 62
Original post by Stiffmeister
that theres no gcse cut-off

The information is conflicting. The website and brochure says that only 'overall performance considered', but the prospectus says you still need 7A*S+
Reply 63
Original post by roh
'GCSE's:

Normally, applicants must offer A* grades in each of English (either English Language or English Literature), Mathematics and all science subjects. Integrated Science (double certificate) is acceptable as an alternative to single sciences
Overall GCSE performance will be considered'

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/undergraduate/med/medicine.aspx

From 'Entry Requirements'. Hope this helps :smile:

What are you doing on here? Thought you were meant to be prepping for in interview :tongue:

The information is conflicting. The website and brochure says that only 'overall performance considered', but the prospectus says you still need 7A*S+

Have you been to an open day for this cycle? I would trust the information they give you then over any other. Also, haven't some people had correspondence with admissions staff which is consistent with the "overall performance, A*s in Maths/English/Science" scheme of things?
Reply 64
Original post by My-My-My
What are you doing on here? Thought you were meant to be prepping for in interview :tongue:

I was-ish! Just got a bit bored, turns out me is a dull topic :redface:
Reply 65
How would you say prosection is at birmingham?

Basically, we work in groups of about 3 and rotate between 10 tables of dissected specimens related to the topic we've been studying for about an hour.

Personally, i don't get a lot out of it but then again i'm not always the most prepped beforehand so it becomes a game of "Avoid the anatomy demonstrator and blag your way through it (they ask you questions)". The specimens are very skilfully dissected by the (very helpful!) staff but i'm not sold really on the "seeing it physically helps me learn" argument. If i've read about it beforehand and seen a diagram; how does physically seeing a yellow, lifeless version of it help me in any shape or form? This isn't Birmingham or prosection specific mind you.

Have you been to an open day for this cycle? I would trust the information they give you then over any other. Also, haven't some people had correspondence with admissions staff which is consistent with the "overall performance, A*s in Maths/English/Science" scheme of things?

I have a sneaky feeling it'll be very similar to previous years. "A*s in Maths/English/Science" that's what? 5 or 6 A*s anyway? Seems they've also put a little emphasis on good AS grades.
Reply 66
Original post by gozatron
Basically, we work in groups of about 3 and rotate between 10 tables of dissected specimens related to the topic we've been studying for about an hour.

Personally, i don't get a lot out of it but then again i'm not always the most prepped beforehand so it becomes a game of "Avoid the anatomy demonstrator and blag your way through it (they ask you questions)". The specimens are very skilfully dissected by the (very helpful!) staff but i'm not sold really on the "seeing it physically helps me learn" argument. If i've read about it beforehand and seen a diagram; how does physically seeing a yellow, lifeless version of it help me in any shape or form? This isn't Birmingham or prosection specific mind you.

I have a sneaky feeling it'll be very similar to previous years. "A*s in Maths/English/Science" that's what? 5 or 6 A*s anyway? Seems they've also put a little emphasis on good AS grades.

I have this, I just can't picture things in my head well, particularly the paths of blood vessels and nerves. I also found it useful for neuroanatomy, which you won't have done much of yet, it's mostly 2nd year.
Reply 67
I have this, I just can't picture things in my head well, particularly the paths of blood vessels and nerves. I also found it useful for neuroanatomy, which you won't have done much of yet, it's mostly 2nd year.

As with anything i guess it varies person to person, learning style to learning style and i'm just one of those that doesn't need it.
Reply 68
Original post by halii_94
I got an A in English Literature too :frown:
I have 9 other A*s though, so would i still have a chance because it says overall GCSE performance will be considered?

I'm in a similar position! I got an A in both English Language and Literature, but I got 10 A*s in other subjects. Let me know if they get back to you, I emailed them but have not had a reply yet. :s-smilie: Really want to apply but don't want to waste an application because of the lack of one A*.
Reply 69
Does anyone know if birmingham has a clinical skills centre? and are students allowed to use it to practice?
Reply 70
Does anyone know if birmingham has a clinical skills centre? and are students allowed to use it to practice?

For things like venepuncture, suturing etc? I don't think there's one in the medschool, but every hospital I've been to has one and it's been an open door policy for using the simulation equipment and materials. They also have staff who can help train you up for such things.
Reply 71
For things like venepuncture, suturing etc? I don't think there's one in the medschool, but every hospital I've been to has one and it's been an open door policy for using the simulation equipment and materials. They also have staff who can help train you up for such things.

That sounds great, thanks :smile: Are you allowed to use them in pre-clinical years? Id assume youd need some form of hospital ID to use the clinical skills centre too?
Reply 72
That sounds great, thanks :smile: Are you allowed to use them in pre-clinical years? Id assume youd need some form of hospital ID to use the clinical skills centre too?

We get a good bit of clinical skills practice at the fortnightly GP sessions we have aswell.
Reply 73
This is on one my first posts on student room, but I was basically asking for advice about subject choices for A2. I read from on the website that if Psychology is taken as the third subject in A2, then an academic subject would have to be taken at AS, I took maths. So My AS grades are AAAA. I was wondering whether I would be a weaker candidate for taking Chemistry, Biology and Psychology, rather than, Chemistry, Biology and Maths? Would they discriminate against me? :smile:

thanks guyyyys
Reply 74

Yeah, these are generally for the use of 3rd year students and beyond. You're not assessed on clinical skills until then. As Gozatron said, you do get to start some stuff in preclinical years on your GP placement, though this is variable. I did some venepuncture in my second year but I know others who had done IM and S/C injections too.

You start learning some examinations in your preclinical years (basic neuro, visual fields, peak flow, MMSE), and few skills such as BP monitoring, and this is assessed at the end of 2nd year, but most of it happens after wards.
Original post by gem18
This is on one my first posts on student room, but I was basically asking for advice about subject choices for A2. I read from on the website that if Psychology is taken as the third subject in A2, then an academic subject would have to be taken at AS, I took maths. So My AS grades are AAAA. I was wondering whether I would be a weaker candidate for taking Chemistry, Biology and Psychology, rather than, Chemistry, Biology and Maths? Would they discriminate against me? :smile:

thanks guyyyys

Welcome! Well it seems to be that you're sticking by the "rules". If you choose Chem, Bio and Psych with Maths as your 4th AS then this will count and you shouldn't have a problem. In this situaiton, seeing as both combinations of A2 subjects are acceptable then I would advise you choose which one you like best, as you've performed equally well in both subjects in you AS levels.

Hope this answers your quesiton.
Reply 75
Went to the Open Day and loved it! Definitely applying here. :cool:
Reply 76
Original post by gozatron

There is a definite emphasis on AS grades. I went to the open day yesterday and he basically said you need 4 A's at AS because of the large number of applicants applying with high grades.
Original post by Bord3r
Went to the Open Day and loved it! Definitely applying here. :cool:

Wonder if I saw you!

I loved it. I was quite worried about not liking it but I really did. Makes me think about how little I loved Sheffield in comparison to my other three. :frown:
Reply 78
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
Wonder if I saw you!

I loved it. I was quite worried about not liking it but I really did. Makes me think about how little I loved Sheffield in comparison to my other three. :frown:

I was in the 1:30 talk with the admissions tutor. The QE hospital looks incredible, it would be an amazing place to train.
Original post by Bord3r
I was in the 1:30 talk with the admissions tutor. The QE hospital looks incredible, it would be an amazing place to train.

Ahh, I was in the early morning one! At 1.30 I think we were in the bar at the accommodation :tongue: Yeah it does, but I also like how you get exposure to DGHs as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending