The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Icecream1
Xavi! Dude, its Xavi!! The midfield options Spain have are ridiculous. :ahee:

I'm not a big Torres fan but he normally turns up at the finals. Costa is risky but should recover in time.

He was absolutely shocking at the last world cup, only ever done anything in Euro2008, Euro2012 he fluked the golden boot.
Original post by Existentialgrad
Spain won't win the world cup. Teams know how to counter their boring keep ball style of play now, and they are not the force they were a few years ago.

Knowing how to do something and doing it are two completely different things.
Original post by CB91
Torres? Wtf. Llorente or Negredo might aswell retire from international football. No matter what they do they cant make Del Bosque not pick his favourites.

TBF they are his favourites who have won an unprecedented three trophies in a row. We'll see if it was the right choice, we can't say right now.
Original post by Existentialgrad
Spain won't win the world cup. Teams know how to counter their boring keep ball style of play now, and they are not the force they were a few years ago.

They haven't conceded in a knock out stage of a major tournament since semis of 2008. They're the favourites.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5544
Of course based on his performances he shouldn't even have been in the provisional squad, but on paper Torres perfectly fits the profile of the ideal striker for VdB's system; on top of that he brings a huge amount of experience, and that's probably what is Vincente's reasoning for taking him (not to mention his veteran loyalty in general). No surprise there at all. Then again, he himself doesn't make much of a difference as the striker question in general is a problem for Spain. They struggle to capitalise on their creativity in midfield regardless of who plays up front, and so far no alternative has really solved the problem. Same applies for Costa now, who doesn't fit the system and on top of that has hardly had any time to gel with the team. So it's not really about Torres per se. Right now, Spain are still probably better off playing with a false than with a real 9. Llorente probably would have been a good choice though and I would have liked to see him over Torres.

As for Xavi, he is likely to retire from international football after the WC. VdB will probably go as well. That's when the transition to Koke/Thiago will take place. Dropping Xavi now and replacing him with either of those 2 (supposing Thiago would be fit) wouldn't make sense as the game still depends on him and neither Thiago nor Koke had enough time to fit into the system. Saying that, had Thiago been fit, he would have been in there over Mata or Cazorla.
(edited 9 years ago)
Seriously guys, you cannot underestimate Spain. Obviously this WC favours the South American teams but Spain will at least make the semi's and there is a reasonable enough path to the final.

Torres may be a surprise pick but remember he ended up top scorer at Euro 2012, so he is obviously capable of performing on the international stage despite his poor domestic form.

Silva will be the star of this WC for Spain. Xavi and Iniesta will still pull the strings but I think Silva can really make the difference and will be a key player for them. Plus its not like the Spanish team is aging - Fabregas is 27, Koke only 22, Busquets is 25 as is Costa, Pedro is 26 - and going forward they still have plenty of energy and youth.

Their team is experienced in big games and most of their first team players have won 3 major trophies for Spain. In my opinion they will do the best of the European teams, including Germany because they, for some reason, always seem to run out of steam and I dont know if its due to a lack of experience or what. Germany do have a very good squad regardless for this WC so I'm not writing them off either.
Alexis Sanchez was magnificent again. Really want to move him more central than wide but with Messi there it will never happen ...
Reply 5547
Original post by Malevolent
Alexis Sanchez was magnificent again. Really want to move him more central than wide but with Messi there it will never happen ...

I don't think it'll make a difference. The Alexis Sanchez in a chile shirt is something. One of my favourite player to watch. In a Barca shirt, something happens to him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 419
I don't think it'll make a difference. The Alexis Sanchez in a chile shirt is something. One of my favourite player to watch. In a Barca shirt, something happens to him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He did beast it this season tbf.

That goal vs Atlético was a beast goal man.
Will atletico have any players left by the end of the transfer window?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't think Koke suits Barcelona's tactics that well tbh. The guy who was perfect for them was sold to Bayern last Summer. Looks like it was a mistake playing Fabregas over Thiago so much during 12/13. But who knows; Busquets-Koke-Iniesta could rule the world.
Reply 5551
Selling Thiago for 25m and buying Koke for 60m one year later would be a contender for the stupidest piece of business Barça have done in recent years, especially because Koke could have been bought for 24m last year. Koke's style is ideal for Atlético but doesn't necessarily fit Barça, and Barça is much too rigid to accommodate other styles. That said, Thiago wouldn't have been ideal in the Xavi role either. Kaptoum, Samper or Óliver Torres seem much more suitable, but of course neither of them is close to being ready and Óliver won't leave Atletico. (Not to forget a fit Gündogan)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 419

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keeps going out wide and is stuck there although he was pretty damn good this season.
Madrids new away kit is horrendous but they will sell a lot because its pink so lots of females will buy it and guys as well for breast cancer awareness and such... :lol:

Can't wait to see Pepe though in pink :colone:
I like the colour pink. :colonhash:

Madrid are funny though.

Anyway when do you think that Madrid will start to decline and the PL goes to the rightful place and start dominating Europe again?

I give it 3 years. Alonso, Pepe, Ronaldo, Modric and probably Ramos(as he's pretty reliant on pace) will start to decline and that's going to be it for them. Modric is such a good player though, remember when people were loling when somebody said Modric is better than Fabregas in the prem but it's clearly the case now. Just needed a bedding in season.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not a fan of pink, salmon pink perhaps, but full blown pink is just too try hard.
Original post by jam278
He did beast it this season tbf.

That goal vs Atlético was a beast goal man.

The winner the Nou Camp was beautiful!
He is the main man for Chile and gets to play centrally but at Barca he is out wide.

He sometimes lacks confidence in his play and makes some wrong decisions but I think he is brilliant and Barca would be foolish to sell him.
Original post by qua
Selling Thiago for 25m and buying Koke for 60m one year later would be a contender for the stupidest piece of business Barça have done in recent years, especially because Koke could have been bought for 24m last year. Koke's style is ideal for Atlético but doesn't necessarily fit Barça, and Barça is much too rigid to accommodate other styles. That said, Thiago wouldn't have been ideal in the Xavi role either. Kaptoum, Samper or Óliver Torres seem much more suitable, but of course neither of them is close to being ready and Óliver won't leave Atletico. (Not to forget a fit Gündogan)

The Zlatan deal still sends shivers down my spine...

I agree with you about Koke not fitting that role and I like Samper he looks great. Denis Suarez also looks promising.

Gundogan:ahee:, would be great.

I think Cesc will stay though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5558
Original post by Icecream1
The Zlatan deal still sends shivers down my spine...

I agree with you about Koke not fitting that role and I like Samper he looks great. Denis Suarez also looks promising.

Gundogan:ahee:, would be great.

I think Cesc will stay though.

Yeah, Denis Suárez is great too, more of a CAM type though. He'll most likely be promoted and go on loan next season with Halilovic taking his place, which is good, he's becoming too good for the B team.Samper fits the profile perfectly, but for some strange reason Eusebio prefers Illie, who is nowhere near as good. Kaptoum looks promising as well and perhaps a bit better going forward than Samper, whereas Samper provides more defensive stability.

With Rafinha, Suárez, Samper, Halilovic, Kaptoum, Moha etc Barça's midfield should be set for years. If everyone lives up to their potential, that is. In that sense, selling a big name like Cesc might have something good to it, as it will allow players like Rafinha enough time to cement their place, something which Thiago didn't get.

Defence on the other hand... there's Ié, there's Nieto and perhaps Grimaldo and that's it. Don't rate Sergi Gomez and I think he'll end up moving like Muniesa did.
(edited 9 years ago)
Really like Rafinha, cant wait to see him next season.

Latest