The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What a miss by Ozil :eek:

Hopefully he can his form of the 2nd half of last season soon.
Tbh I've found Spanish football quite boring of late. Only because it always seems to be about RM or Barca these days.
Original post by rockrunride
Ended up 3-3. Skulked off to watch MOTD2, but apparently Depor dominated the second half and deserved to win.

Bit of a frustrating 2nd half for Valencia fans! Depor really should have grabbed all 3 points at the end too. Bruno Gama did well to cut inside the Valencia defence but his shot was saved by Diego Alves. It was Valencias turn to be sleeping at the back in the 2nd half though. Ricardo Costa is an idiot, bit soft but he did push Riki and Joao Pereira is even more of an idiot for his shockingly embarrassing dive in the other half! Good entertaining game though, i'm not sure you'll agree? :tongue:
What a goal from Falcao. :coma:
Not a bad 2nd goal for him either.
Falcao hat-trick. 30 mins still to play.

Athletic look so poor compared to just six months ago.
Reply 146
Got to love the OTT reaction :rofl:
OTT reaction?
Reply 148
From gabi (i think) to de marcos's tackle.
Standard fare for most leagues now, though, as sad as it is.

Just looked at last season's La Liga table. In 38 games Athletic conceded 52 games, thus far they've conceded 9. :gasp:
Reply 150
I don't like overly talking about RM and Barca as much as others, but I wanted to know what people think of Modric's move to RM.

Do you think he is adept enough to compete in their team? I personally think he is. He seems to make everyone around him play better when he plays in the middle of the park, and it's hell to try and get the ball from him - reminds me of Xavi in a way. Obviously not on the same level, but very proficient in his role.
I'm absolutely in awe of Radamel Falcao. Arda Turan looks awesome too.
Falcao is such a beast :adore:
Original post by Femto
I don't like overly talking about RM and Barca as much as others, but I wanted to know what people think of Modric's move to RM.

Do you think he is adept enough to compete in their team? I personally think he is. He seems to make everyone around him play better when he plays in the middle of the park, and it's hell to try and get the ball from him - reminds me of Xavi in a way. Obviously not on the same level, but very proficient in his role.

No question he's adept enough to do well, when called upon. But the question is how often will he be called upon? Mourinho loves Alonso and Khedira, for his midfield two. There's simply no way he'll get in ahead of Ozil in the hole.

He does offer something different to both Alonso and Khedira, but not necessarily better. He might retain the ball better than the latter, but he doesn't make box-box runs in the same way. He's also not as good defensively.
Reply 154
Original post by Kevmeister
No question he's adept enough to do well, when called upon. But the question is how often will he be called upon? Mourinho loves Alonso and Khedira, for his midfield two. There's simply no way he'll get in ahead of Ozil in the hole.

He does offer something different to both Alonso and Khedira, but not necessarily better. He might retain the ball better than the latter, but he doesn't make box-box runs in the same way. He's also not as good defensively.

Yeah. Seems like he may struggle to adapt to Jose's style.
There's simply no way he'll get in ahead of Ozil in the hole.

Tbh, Ozil often has form issues, he is brilliant when in form but when he gets out of form he takes lot of time to get back to form. Like the 1st half of last season, Ozil was no way near his best, but in the 2nd half he played the best football of his career IMO. So this will add competition for him, and when out of form, Modric may take his role.
Balague was saying that ozil will compete with modric, ozil was always the first player with di maria to be taken off due to fitness/form issues. Kaka on the bench but he's another ozil form wise and is pretty much a match of the day player at times in the season so it's a risk using those two to compete, modric on the other hand is someone who's shown that he can be at his best for almost a whole season playing all the games like alonso is. Eventually he'll be eased into the alonso role.

Anyway, what is going to happen with granero, do you think he'll stay as a bench warmer at real madrid the whole of his career, I think he's better than that and he should go to england/germany at a top team where he'll get games and regular CL football. Shame he's spanish.

Also, I think top 4 would be madrid, barca, atletico and valencia in that order. Madrid have gone to a bad start but lets remember they had a bad start last season too. When they get into their stride they'll be up and running scoring 3 goals a game again and I think they'll pip barca to the title again(el classico depending)
(edited 11 years ago)
Falcao hat-trick. 30 mins still to play.

Athletic look so poor compared to just six months ago.

They only looked good in the europa league. They've been overrated ever since they beat united(although they did play really well in those matches) with two of their best players potentially leaving/being unsettled all summer, this is also expected. They were in 7th place at the time they won vs united and ended up in 10th place getting smashed by barca and atletico in two cup finals so were pretty much treading above their weight in the cups, e.g. fulham in 2010. Atletico are a much better team than bilbao.
(edited 11 years ago)
Think Modric just gives a lot of depth to a number of positions - Replace Ozil, Alonso, Khedira (in certain games) or even Di Maria.

Mourinho must be pissed that Madrid have already dropped 5 points :colondollar:
Can't see how he'd replace Di Maria in Mou's current preferred system? He's not as dynamic, and Di Maria was phenomenal last season.

In other news, Marca up to their tricks again, trying to cause rifts in the Barca camp by spouting crap about Cesc after three games of the season.

Latest