The Student Room Group

Norman Foster's architectural language... what do you think of it?

I’m writing a dissertation on Norman foster and his architectural language from his overall building form to in depth connection detailing on his building; in particular I will be researching the three building below. Your opinion will provide primary research and generate a discussion in my dissertation and you WILL be referenced in my research (if you could/want, provide your name and city). Any of your opinion is greatly appreciated.

If you could please give your opinion of Foster style of architecture? in particular, the three building below, what do you think of the architectural language? Shape, colour, detail, form, the glazing.....

Sainsbury Centre for Visual Arts
Norwich, UK, 1974-1978
The Sainsbury Centre brought a new level of refinement to the practice’s early explorations into lightweight, flexible structures. Much more than a traditional gallery, it integrates spaces for viewing art, and facilities for recreation, teaching and research, within a single, light-filled space that opens up to views of the surrounding landscape.

562793_403673646348667_1064671492_n.jpg

Chek Lap Kok Airport
Hong Kong, 1992-1998
Chek Lap Kok is one of the world’s largest airports and this was among the most ambitious construction projects of modern times. The terminal building extends a concept pioneered at Stansted Airport. With its uncluttered spaces, bathed in light, it forms a spectacular gateway to the city.

156_403673709681994_1321250660_n.jpg

Swiss Re HQ, 30 St Mary Axe
London, UK, 1997-2004
London’s first ecological tall building and an instantly recognisable addition to the city’s skyline, 30 St Mary Axe is rooted in a radical approach - technically, architecturally, socially and spatially. Generated by a radial plan, its energy-conscious enclosure resolves walls and roof into a continuous triangulated skin, allowing column-free floor space, light and views

625631_403673733015325_506365962_n.jpg

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF FOSTER ARCHITECTURE?
Reply 1
You need to mention how poorly the Sainsbury Centre functioned prior to it being totally reconfigured. You also need to question why a supposedly eco-tower - the Gherkin, has symmetrical facades / elevations, despite London being in the northern hemisphere.

I think you should do the willis faber dumas building, not chek lap kok. airports are not really worth looking as far as trying to unpick an architect's language as they are primarily designed by functionality - the need to process passenger, and not by the architects signature. you risk wasting a lot of text writing about an airport which, in reality, will have been designed pretty much like most modern airports, regardless of architect.
Reply 2
Original post by jrhartley
You need to mention how poorly the Sainsbury Centre functioned prior to it being totally reconfigured. You also need to question why a supposedly eco-tower - the Gherkin, has symmetrical facades / elevations, despite London being in the northern hemisphere.

I think you should do the willis faber dumas building, not chek lap kok. airports are not really worth looking as far as trying to unpick an architect's language as they are primarily designed by functionality - the need to process passenger, and not by the architects signature. you risk wasting a lot of text writing about an airport which, in reality, will have been designed pretty much like most modern airports, regardless of architect.

By responding to this message, you grant me permission to use the information provided by you in my dissertation. All information provided will be referenced to give credit to the respondent.

Can you please reply 'agree' if you give premission to me touse this statment in my dissertation?

Thank You
Kind Regards
Reply 3
Original post by waqqyali
By responding to this message, you grant me permission to use the information provided by you in my dissertation. All information provided will be referenced to give credit to the respondent.

Can you please reply 'agree' if you give premission to me touse this statment in my dissertation?

Thank You
Kind Regards

this is odd. you can use whatever you want. i just question why you'd want to - its not like i'm a recognised authority on former Lord - now tax-exile - Foster.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending