Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Big 'Can I Get Into Durham With These Grades' Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Hmm, do you think it will matter that I dont have a language GCSE for applying to Durham to do engineering?

I'd be surprised if it was a particular drawback.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 581
I'm currently just finishing up my GCSE's, and at the moment I really want to go to Durham to study History. I know it's a very prestigious university and thus the highest possible grades would be needed but would one or two B's in subjects I am not looking to study in at A Level be a handicap to me if I were to apply to Durham next year?
Most universities like Durham care more about a 'strong overall GCSE profile' rather than the individual grades. So that means that you could get away with one or two Bs and still get in.
[INDENT]Hi i would love to go to Durham. These are my subject choices: Chemistry, Economics+Business(one subject) and Geography. if i was to achieve a grade C for chemistry, an A for Economics and Business and an A for Geography. And there for got predicted A* for Economics and Business and an A for Geography and a B for chemistry. Also i am most likely going to get a D or even an E in my 4th AS in Maths (which i am dropping). So my question is, is it worth me applying? please be honest. im kind of freaking out because of my maths. will this put me in a great disadvantage?thanks, really appreciate it. So would they consider my application with a prediction on A*AB? the standard offer for IR is AAA.[/INDENT]

Hi i would love to go to Durham. These are my subject choices: Chemistry, Economics+Business(one subject) and Geography. if i was to achieve a grade C for chemistry, an A for Economics and Business and an A for Geography. And there for got predicted A* for Economics and Business and an A for Geography and a B for chemistry. Also i am most likely going to get a D or even an E in my 4th AS in Maths (which i am dropping). So my question is, is it worth me applying? please be honest. im kind of freaking out because of my maths. will this put me in a great disadvantage?thanks, really appreciate it. So would they consider my application with a prediction on A*AB? the standard offer for IR is AAA.

Hi i would love to go to Durham. These are my subject choices: Chemistry, Economics+Business(one subject) and Geography. if i was to achieve a grade C for chemistry, an A for Economics and Business and an A for Geography. And there for got predicted A* for Economics and Business and an A for Geography and a B for chemistry. Also i am most likely going to get a D or even an E in my 4th AS in Maths (which i am dropping). So my question is, is it worth me applying? please be honest. im kind of freaking out because of my maths. will this put me in a great disadvantage?thanks, really appreciate it. So would they consider my application with a prediction on A*AB? the standard offer for IR is AAA.
They might but no-one here can gie you an answer to that question. Much would depend on the strength of your PS and academic references, and on your predicted grades. Economics is a very competitive subject - hence the expectation of top grades. Remember, that you get FIVE initial UCAS choices you need to start thinking about others Unis apart from Durham.
Original post by returnmigrant
They might but no-one here can gie you an answer to that question. Much would depend on the strength of your PS and academic references, and on your predicted grades. Economics is a very competitive subject - hence the expectation of top grades. Remember, that you get FIVE initial UCAS choices you need to start thinking about others Unis apart from Durham.

yes thats fine and im not applying for economics. im applying for International Relations.
Reply 588
I really want to go to Durham but I did not apply. I will apply through the Adjustment process depending on my results. For the Course I want (Accounting and finance) the requirements are AAB but I will likely get ABB, do I stand very little chance of getting in? Thankyou very much <3
Reply 589
I'd say a very minor chance at a uni like Durham, but as your offer is held for you when you go through adjustment, do it anyway
I was privileged enough to get to talk to an admissions tutor during a residential I attended the other week. He said at Durham, they expect you to get the grades in your offer, and offers are very very very rarely under the quoted offer. Durham is one of the most oversubscribed universities in the country.
I want to apply for psychology 2014 entry but they now ask for a B in GCSE maths (although this is true for most institutions)...lucky me it was the only gcse I managed to get a C in -_-'

This aside, I consider myself mathematically competent and thus do not see myself struggling too much with the statistical elements...however I am aware there will be a large proportion of applicants who do fit the criteria of having achieved a grade B.

Oh plus my maths teacher left half way through the year leaving us with like 3 different teachers (not blaming, but still)

My queries:
(a) is it worth retaking the gcse come September? (it's like £300 -_-)

(b) is it worth even applying? (providing a-level results are adequate)

....I do hope someone replies and my post isn't left here for months *lol*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by limesorbet
I want to apply for psychology 2014 entry but they now ask for a B in GCSE maths (although this is true for most institutions)...lucky me it was the only gcse I managed to get a C in -_-'

This aside, I consider myself mathematically competent and thus do not see myself struggling too much with the statistical elements...however I am aware there will be a large proportion of applicants who do fit the criteria of having achieved a grade B.

Oh plus my maths teacher left half way through the year leaving us with like 3 different teachers (not blaming, but still)

My queries:
(a) is it worth retaking the gcse come September? (it's like £300 -_-)

(b) is it worth even applying? (providing a-level results are adequate)

....I do hope someone replies and my post isn't left here for months *lol*

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a few people doing Psychology degrees at different universities. I think it's fair to say that all Psychology degrees include a significant amount of research and statistical analysis of the results. Most courses include stats modules in at least the first year. From what I hear, most people underestimate how difficult these modules are and they often have the highest failure rate. (Just try flicking through a Statistics for Psychological Research book in the library or a book shop - they can be quite scary.) However, lots of people applying for psychology have A level maths so it is possible you might struggle once you're on the course if your maths isn't very good. That said, I think most universities run maths drop-in sessions for people who are struggling with the maths aspects of a range of courses.

Basically, if the entry requirement is a B grade at GCSE, they are testing that you can cope and anything lower might lead them to think you can't unless you can put forward some good reasons. They also might be of a mind that you could have re-taken it if you thought you could do better.

Is there any way you can reason with your school/college and get them to wave the fee since you really need a higher grade for uni?
Original post by KayteeKaytee
I know a few people doing Psychology degrees at different universities. I think it's fair to say that all Psychology degrees include a significant amount of research and statistical analysis of the results. Most courses include stats modules in at least the first year. From what I hear, most people underestimate how difficult these modules are and they often have the highest failure rate. (Just try flicking through a Statistics for Psychological Research book in the library or a book shop - they can be quite scary.) However, lots of people applying for psychology have A level maths so it is possible you might struggle once you're on the course if your maths isn't very good. That said, I think most universities run maths drop-in sessions for people who are struggling with the maths aspects of a range of courses.

Basically, if the entry requirement is a B grade at GCSE, they are testing that you can cope and anything lower might lead them to think you can't unless you can put forward some good reasons. They also might be of a mind that you could have re-taken it if you thought you could do better.

Is there any way you can reason with your school/college and get them to wave the fee since you really need a higher grade for uni?

I think I'm going to have to retake maths, although its taken externally at another college so I don't think I can get help with the fee :/

Thanks anyway, this advice was much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 594
Going for meteorology/environmental sciences, would this be a good GCSE profile?
A* Geography
A Maths
A French
A English
A Physics
B Science
B Chemistry
B Biology
B IT
?
And if so, what would be good options for a-levels and the requirements. I'm not really sure if that GCSE profile is good enough compared to some of those I've seen on this thread.
Reply 595
I currently have a conditional offer from Durham for the BA Economics and Politics degree.
Received 2 of my A Level results today, was expecting all A's but somehow got an A in Economics and a B in English Literature. Still awaiting my Maths results which are released on the 15th (but as everyone knows, C3 was absolutely horrible so I have no idea what to expect)
Do you think I have a chance?
I had a very strong Personal Statement, and my IGCSE's were 4 A*s and 3 A's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I hear back from them on the 15th so I'm kind of freaking out right now.
Original post by mkhan5
I currently have a conditional offer from Durham for the BA Economics and Politics degree.
Received 2 of my A Level results today, was expecting all A's but somehow got an A in Economics and a B in English Literature. Still awaiting my Maths results which are released on the 15th (but as everyone knows, C3 was absolutely horrible so I have no idea what to expect)
Do you think I have a chance?
I had a very strong Personal Statement, and my IGCSE's were 4 A*s and 3 A's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I hear back from them on the 15th so I'm kind of freaking out right now.

I'm afraid it's impossible to say. It depends on how many other people met their offer, how far you missed your offer by and what the department's policy is on taking ABB students. If you only narrowly missed your offer, it might be worth emailing them and letting them know how close it was. They've basically already made their decision so other than that, I'm afraid you'll just have to wait till tomorrow to find out. Good luck.
Original post by wear
Going for meteorology/environmental sciences, would this be a good GCSE profile?
A* Geography
A Maths
A French
A English
A Physics
B Science
B Chemistry
B Biology
B IT
?
And if so, what would be good options for a-levels and the requirements. I'm not really sure if that GCSE profile is good enough compared to some of those I've seen on this thread.

Durham does not offer straight environmental science or meteorology degree programmes. I suggest you check the website and decide if Durham even offers what you want to study. The required A-level grades for Enviromental Geoscience and BSc Geography are on the website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Applying for Medicine at Durham this year, may all the higher powers above help me!
I don't suppose any of you know how they treat IB score boundaries?
GCSE: A* 6As 3Bs
Predicted IB points: 776 Bio, Psych and Chem HL, 765 Italian, English and Maths SL with 2-3 bonus points so 40 - 41 points in total

I'm hoping to significantly improve my maths score by at least one grade too

All my UKCAT mock scores have ranged between 650 and 750, but I've heard the UKCAT mocks are harder than the real test and some applicants have had as much as 150 points more in their exam!

I have about 10 and a half months of work experience with disabled children and nurseries and will be working in a hospice for the next year, are my chances for Durham any good? I know my GCSE grades aren't that spectacular, but I've worked really hard in the IB to try and make up for it. Durham is practically my dream Uni because I love how they teach Medicine and all the facilities the Uni offers, so I'm really hoping I stand a chance, what do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Daughter is hoping to apply to Durham for NatSci (bio) and got these AS results

Bio- A
Chem - A
Maths - B (missed the A by one UMS point)
Music - B
Physics - not completed as her school does unit 3 with A2 modules, so can't see results yet

Will that be good enough for Durham? Should she envisage a remark for the maths, or even a resit? Her GCSE grades were 8 A* and 1 A

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest