The Student Room Group

Is it true that some universities check your Facebook before they interview you?

I know that it is impossible for the unis to check all applicants Facebook but I remember ages ago somebody telling me that they were asked about something on their FAcebook or something like that ..it was a few years ago ...Does this really happen ?
no.
Reply 2
jobs... employers may check ... universities no
Reply 3
If I was an interviewer I'd take ten minutes to look over an applicants information and activities online since it's so readily available these days. So ye I assume it happens often. More so with jobs though, universities might not bother.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
It's a possibility we'll never know at the end of the day, but I doubt they do :smile:
Admissions look at personal statements as a base for interviews.
Reply 5
I doubt it, if they're calling you into an interview they're gonna take their impression from you in person.
I really don't know what the legislation in the UK is, but as far as I know the general concern with looking up applicants on-line is that you could discover information based on which it is illegal to discriminate (e.g. sexual orientation). If this is a systematic practice and you end up not hiring a specific group, the organisation could end up being successfully sued.

I think there's pretty much zero chance of unis looking up people.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
It's doubtable, however it's always a good idea to make sure that any information you make public on social networking sites is information that you wouldn't mind potential employers/universities seeing. Make sure that your privacy settings are decent and be careful what you post.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending