The Student Room Group

Can’t find anyone doing my course

I can’t find a single person doing my course at uni and I’m worried I won’t make any friends. I’m going university of south wales for law
Hi there! I'm sorry, I'm not doing your course but I'm struggling to find people who are doing my course at my university as well online. But you have to know they're out there! Maybe see if there's a social media group for students of your university (discord, whatsapp, facebook are the main places to check) and join it, there will probably be another person doing law on those groups. And if not, don't worry, you'll meet all your classmates when university starts :smile:. Making friends is easy, you just have to start talking to people at uni (or any other place at any other point in your life) and you'll naturally befriend some people. Are you feeling excited for university?
Original post by Anonymous
I can’t find a single person doing my course at uni and I’m worried I won’t make any friends. I’m going university of south wales for law

Hi,

Congratulations on securing a place at university!

I was in a similar position to you when leaving home to go to university. As well as looking at group chats on facebook, snapchat, whatsapp etc. I joined the university society pages on instagram. They seemed to be posting lots of welcoming content so whilst it wasn't necessarily people on my course, I knew there would be people at uni with similar interests as me. There are so many different people at university so I'm sure you can find some common ground with people to make friends over.

Try not to worry too much though, as already said lots of people meet when they actually arrive at uni and not necessarily before. My department did a welcome day for us to all meet each other, however after your first lecture/ talk or whatever you have, maybe you could suggest to some people the idea of going for a coffee.

Also, don't be afraid to message first on social media platforms. I did and found that it's easier to start conversations than wait for others to find and contact me. Everyone is currently in the same position as you so are probably open to chat, especially about university, and that definitely has potential for you to make some friends.

Good luck
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
do you know the course size?

My UG had 20 people on it, it was super easy to get to know everyone. I had friends on huge courses, you will have seminar work and possible even group work - so you will get to know folks there

Then there is your accommodation, more folks to meet, more friends to make

And clubs, societies, socials, possibly even work (if you get a job at Uni), again more chances

Freshers week is designed to hep all the new folks get top know each other - everyone is in the same boat.

Social media is a tiny slice of folks out there. There are so many friends out there you haven't met yet :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Hey,
It can be nervous starting uni and not knowing anyone can be scary. My advice is try not to let it worry you. You will not be alone in not knowing anyone and you will have plenty of time and opportunities when you are at uni to meet people and make friends. I moved to a new city for uni and I knew nobody and so I relate to many of the worries you have.
My advice is to be brave and not let your worries hold you back. Introduce yourself to coursemates - it can be as simple as asking to sit beside someone, asking their name, talking about the class prep (how much reading their was perhaps). You will not be the only worried person and sometimes being the first to speak or being nice makes someone else more relaxed and that is a great way to get to know someone.
Get involved with freshers events - the fairs, sport come and try, societies welcome events... whatever you are into or indeed interested in trying out.
Best wishes for starting uni ! Catherine - University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Anon,

Don't panic!

When you get there you will meet the people on your course, the people you will be sharing with (if you are living in student accommodation) and lots of other people!!!

Now is a good time to enjoy the last few days of summer and to focus on packing (if you are moving home).

All the best!

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
might sound silly to some, but I had a script prepared in my head for when I met new people, some questions to ask and some responses I would give if asked the same question - I subsequently was chatting to a highly respected professor who admitted to doing the same thing in their professional life.

They even had a mental model / analogy / aide memoir (if that's the right name for it) to give them a line of questions to ask (most people talking about themselves and like people who ask them nice questions) where they imagined walking down a street, going up to a door and ringing the bell, talking to the person on the doorstep and going in to the hall and then choosing a room to enter - and each room was a different topic (eg kitchen food, living room hobbies or music, stairs were dreams)

Walking down the street is about how you got here, so it could be which town / place you are from etc

Ringing the door is about that first interaction, how are they feeling now they have arrived

Probably doing their thing a complete disservice, but just having some good questions to ask and being genuinely curious about others goes a long way to finding people you will get along with
Hi there

Congratulations on securing a place at your University.:smile:

Sorry to hear that you have not been able to find other people doing your course at University. I would recommend looking for group chats on Facebook, WhatsApp, or following law related societies on Instagram. :biggrin:

Before I arrived on campus, I did not know any other law students either. However, the Law school did have a welcome week for us to get together and meet others law students. Don't worry about not knowing anyone before entering University, the welcome week and fresher's fair are some really good opportunities to meet new people. Even if you miss these events, keep an eye out on your University's page as they do host a lot of events to ease you into the University life.

All the best with University in September. :smile:

Chloe :smile:
-University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 8
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there! I'm sorry, I'm not doing your course but I'm struggling to find people who are doing my course at my university as well online. But you have to know they're out there! Maybe see if there's a social media group for students of your university (discord, whatsapp, facebook are the main places to check) and join it, there will probably be another person doing law on those groups. And if not, don't worry, you'll meet all your classmates when university starts :smile:. Making friends is easy, you just have to start talking to people at uni (or any other place at any other point in your life) and you'll naturally befriend some people. Are you feeling excited for university?

I’ve looked everywhere I can’t even find people going as an undergrad next year let alone someone doing my course, I can’t find any societies either and the Twitter, Instagram and Facebook only really post graduates and clearing :| I hope I can make friends and thank you!! I’m excited but nervous at the same time I’m the only one out of my friendship group that’s going to a different uni
Reply 9
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

Congratulations on securing a place at your University.:smile:

Sorry to hear that you have not been able to find other people doing your course at University. I would recommend looking for group chats on Facebook, WhatsApp, or following law related societies on Instagram. :biggrin:

Before I arrived on campus, I did not know any other law students either. However, the Law school did have a welcome week for us to get together and meet others law students. Don't worry about not knowing anyone before entering University, the welcome week and fresher's fair are some really good opportunities to meet new people. Even if you miss these events, keep an eye out on your University's page as they do host a lot of events to ease you into the University life.

All the best with University in September. :smile:

Chloe :smile:
-University of Kent Student Rep

Thank youu so much :smile:
Hey OP how's it going now??
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank youu so much :smile:

Hi,

How is it going?

We just thought we would check up as this was 5 months ago.

We hope you were able to meet people on your course/where you live.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 2 months ago)

Hiya!

I am currently in my second year at university and I felt the exact same when I first started, I am sure we all did so don't worry. It is most likely that you will meet a few people in your first few weeks at university and once you are here, hopefully you will feel a bit reassured as well as home sick as at the end of the day we were once all in the same boat. Especially in the first few weeks, when it is freshers there will be plenty of events to go to, if you are living in shared accommodation you will meet your flatmates and even the introductions to the lectures you should meet a few class mates. My lecturer even did an Ice breaker, which may seem a little silly but it was actually quite good and the two girls I sat next to, on my very first day became my best friends at university.

However, even if you don't meet many people or even the right people that's completely normal as well. Sometimes it can take longer for others, I guess it is like going to secondary school all over again. As long as, you be yourself, put in an effort and be open to new opportunities. I always say, you get as much out of university as you put in.

In the meantime if you are worried, and as some have suggested you can look at social media to see if any groups have already been made. I think usually on Facebook there is a page for whatever year you are starting and that university. Sometimes people post about courses as well as which accommodation buildings - so keep an eye out.

I hope this helps,
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University

Hi,

Most universities have a Facebook group or discord group for each cohort and through those groups you may be able to find people on your course. I discovered a lot of people through a Facebook page prior to beginning my course and it really helped me feel more at ease before starting.

If you'll be living in halls, there's also usually a halls group on Facebook and that way you can find people who you'll be sharing a flat with!

Hope this is of some assistance

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending