The Student Room Group

Girls: Who is more attractive? Hipster Geek vs Athleticism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamboogy
You told me to "note the design and style of the clothes" which identifies a hipster. Are you telling me that any checkered or plain shirt makes you a hipster? What is this magical style of shirt which makes you a hipster?

So you don't know what a hipster is, yet are going to argue about what makes you one....Right, because that is not bat**** crazy logic :facepalm:

All you're doing is making an outrageous claim that anyone who has (facial) hair vaguely considered messy and wears a certain style of glasses is automatically a hipster. This in itself is a stupid and small minded claim because you are basing it on two factors - hair and glasses. Oh wait, is it three factors, with the addition of the style of a shirt, which you haven't explained at all...?

Fashion is based on how you look. Those features...determines how he looks :eek: I know, crazy right?
Why are you trying to make out that his clothes determine what he is like deep down inside his soul and crap when this is about simple fashion? :s-smilie:
Original post by Jimbo1234
So you don't know what a hipster is, yet are going to argue about what makes you one....Right, because that is not bat**** crazy logic :facepalm:

Fashion is based on how you look. Those features...determines how he looks :eek: I know, crazy right?
Why are you trying to make out that his clothes determine what he is like deep down inside his soul and crap when this is about simple fashion? :s-smilie:

No, "hipster" is an attitude. You are a hipster if you intentionally snub "the mainstream", even where you actually like the styles in the mainstream, in order to try and look edgy/ edgily retro/ silly in an I-don't-care-that-I-look-silly-I'm-making-a-statement manner. If you wear a beard or shirt because you think that they're not generally considered cool, but want to look cool by not caring that they're not cool, you're a hipster. On the other hand, if you just think, "oh, that's a nice shirt, I think I might wear that", you don't become a hipster by wearing it.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No, "hipster" is an attitude. You are a hipster if you intentionally snub "the mainstream", even where you actually like the styles in the mainstream, in order to try and look edgy/ edgily retro/ silly in an I-don't-care-that-I-look-silly-I'm-making-a-statement manner. If you wear a beard or shirt because you think that they're not generally considered cool, but want to look cool by not caring that they're not cool, you're a hipster. On the other hand, if you just think, "oh, that's a nice shirt, I think I might wear that", you don't become a hipster by wearing it.

It is both a fashion and attitude eg Goth. Of course they normally come as a pair as I can't remember the last time I saw a Goth at a tea party, but this thread is talking about the image.
Reply 83
I can't remember the last time I saw a Goth at a tea party, but this thread is talking about the image.

You clearly don't go to the right tea parties :tongue: Alice in Wonderland is quite a common theme in some Gothic sub-cultures, especially Lolita, so plenty of Goths might partake in tea parties of a sort.
Reply 84

You're the one who's saying that JT looks like a hipster in those photos. I'm the one saying that he doesn't look like one because wearing a shirt and glasses does not make you a hipster. It's a stupid assumption people make.

You keep telling me to note the style, but how does JT's shirt choice make him a hipster...? There is no style of shirt which singularly makes you a hipster because it does not exist. You still haven't told me what style of shirt makes you a hipster, cos it does not exist.

A hipster, fashion-wise, is someone who wears vintage clothes which are particularly outlandish and unique, thus making them veer away from the 'mainstream'. What is so ridiculously outlandish about a shirt and glasses...? It just happens to be that the Wayfarer-esque frames were popularised by actual hipsters who wore them whether they needed them or not. Just cos you wear the frames it does not automatically make you a hipster. You're also forgetting that being a hipster is also about independent thinking, appreciating art and indie music, and all that jazz. Girls who wear the 'hipster' glasses and dress like idiots are, surprise, surprise, ****ing idiots, who know nothing about being actual hipsters. The whole subculture has spiralled out of control.

When did I ever do such a thing? I'm the one telling you that he is not a hipster... You're the one making that assumption because you are telling me that he is a hipster.

OP doesn't know what a hipster is; he's just following that same assumption that anyone who wears glasses is a hipster, like you. Oh, I can't forget the shirts though, that special, non-existent style of shirts which makes you a hipster.

JT is not a hipster in those photos.
Original post by jamboogy
You're the one who's saying that JT looks like a hipster in those photos. I'm the one saying that he doesn't look like one because wearing a shirt and glasses does not make you a hipster. It's a stupid assumption people make.

You keep telling me to note the style, but how does JT's shirt choice make him a hipster...? There is no style of shirt which singularly makes you a hipster because it does not exist. You still haven't told me what style of shirt makes you a hipster, cos it does not exist.

A hipster, fashion-wise, is someone who wears vintage clothes which are particularly outlandish and unique, thus making them veer away from the 'mainstream'. What is so ridiculously outlandish about a shirt and glasses...? It just happens to be that the Wayfarer-esque frames were popularised by actual hipsters who wore them whether they needed them or not. Just cos you wear the frames it does not automatically make you a hipster. You're also forgetting that being a hipster is also about independent thinking, appreciating art and indie music, and all that jazz. Girls who wear the 'hipster' glasses and dress like idiots are, surprise, surprise, ****ing idiots, who know nothing about being actual hipsters. The whole subculture has spiralled out of control.

When did I ever do such a thing? I'm the one telling you that he is not a hipster... You're the one making that assumption because you are telling me that he is a hipster.

OP doesn't know what a hipster is; he's just following that same assumption that anyone who wears glasses is a hipster, like you. Oh, I can't forget the shirts though, that special, non-existent style of shirts which makes you a hipster.

JT is not a hipster in those photos.

Oh look, you ignored my point about his hair style and facial hair as well.....how convenient for you.
Everything combined, the shirt (smart clothes -timeless), hair, glasses (retros 70's), facial hair etc makes him look like a bit of a hipster :rolleyes:

So what fashion would you say he falls into, and post a pic of what you think a hipster is.
Reply 86
They're both attractive in their own way. Personally, I wouldn't really go for anyone that described their fashion style as 'hipster geek' mind you...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Arva
If only :moon:

Obviously intelligence is one of the main factors in attraction, both for genetic and purely preferential reasons. However, geeks aren't always smart, and not all smart people are geeks, by a long way. Also, the word geek has nothing to do with good looking men who happen to wear glasses with those rims - also the clothes are really unpleasant in my opinion (OP's pictures).

One thing that bugs me is (girls normally...) going 'omg playing cod... such a geek lol!)
Reply 88
I like guys who don't identify or try to identify with any kind of 'subculture'. They wear what they want to wear, say what they want to say and generally behave how they want, but not either with the intention of rebelling against *or* conforming to the 'mainstream'. Physically, I like guys who are lean, with a tiny bit of muscle maybe, but not any who make an active effort to work out or gain muscle.
Also...I really, really don't like hipsters. Sorry. I just think that for people who are trying to be different, they're all remarkably similar.
Reply 89
I find it funny how some guys are calling the girls who don't like super athletic types ugly or insecure. So much for them having self-esteem.

Just as the females are 'programmed' to be attracted to the athletic types the males are programmed to like women who carry weight, have wide hips, and full breasts because they are considered good traits for bearing, and feeding babies.
But you guys won't prefer tumblr_lkfr6fx4uZ1qbia75.jpg over kellybrookbikiniMTX_450x452.jpg would you?

It's similar for us girls. An athletic figure is sexy, but there is a limit to how much muscle most girls like. I, personally find super buff guys disgusting. All that muscle looks very very unnatural.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Samus2
One thing that bugs me is (girls normally...) going 'omg playing cod... such a geek lol!)

This is always funny to me as someone who ACTUALLY plays games and not just call of duty, I'm not sure why girls think its a great to attract attention by saying they play cod and zelda haha..., but this picture pretty much sums it up, the first girl in that picture is what you're referring too

269337_391083604277030_1942167421_n.jpg
Reply 91
Original post by Sammi_K?
I find it funny how some guys are calling the girls who don't like super athletic types ugly or insecure. So much for them having self-esteem.

Just as the females are 'programmed' to be attracted to the athletic types the males are programmed to like women who carry weight, have wide hips, and full breasts because they are considered good traits for bearing, and feeding babies.
But you guys won't prefer tumblr_lkfr6fx4uZ1qbia75.jpg over kellybrookbikiniMTX_450x452.jpg would you?

It's similar for us girls. An athletic figure is sexy, but there is a limit to how much muscle most girls like. I, personally find super buff guys disgusting. All that muscle looks very very unnatural.

I think this sums it up brilliantly!
Reply 92
Original post by Ocarinaoftime
This is always funny to me as someone who ACTUALLY plays games and not just call of duty, I'm not sure why girls think its a great to attract attention by saying they play cod and zelda haha..., but this picture pretty much sums it up, the first girl in that picture is what you're referring too

Lmao pretty much! Hahah a girl I know was talking about zelda and called link zelda making it blindingly obvious that she didn't play :rollseyes:

I just can't understand why some girls think it makes them cool. I've been playing video games for as long as I can remember. It doesn't make me a nerd or a geek, I just like video games and sci-fi
Original post by Ocarinaoftime

lol i know which girl i'd rather be in that picture
Reply 94
Hipster Geek! :love:
Reply 95
He looks like he's 15
Sooo I guess yall girls can go for that...if you're still in highschool
Reply 96
I quite like the hipster look on guys. I'm not so keen on the typical hipster attitude some have though. Ya know the type - obsessed with Apple products, look down on people who listen to bands that have a shred of popularity, vegan and vocal about it etc etc
I went for hipster geek cos I like hipsters and geeks and some of my geek friends are hipsters but I don't know what a hipster geek is...
Reply 98
Athletic Guy has too much muscle, Hipster geek is better but in reality neither would attract me :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
necromanceofpeace

Quick Reply

Latest