The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If H5N1 became as infectious as current human 'flu virions then lots of people would die. There is very little we can do against airborne infections unless we get our houses kitted out like microbiology labs.
Reply 21
i think that it won't be as bad here as in asia. as they are more exposed.
Reply 22
I'm presonally not too worried about it, biggest impact it might have on me would be not being able to get frozen chicks for my snakes to eat, but i'm sure they can get over that!

TBH i think it is unlikely to cause a huge problem, even though we do know it's arrived :smile:
Revd. Mike
Unfortunately the vaccines go to primary healthcare workers, government ministers, the royal family and important people at risk from catching it like teachers.

unfortunately? i dunno about that, i mean personally i'm quite happy about the fact that i'll be among the first to be vaccinated.

also, i think you'd all be a bit screwed if you didn't have any DRs or nurses to look after all you bird flu victims because we all had it too!
Reply 24
JoeFen
This poor little guy didn't stand a chance

http://www.gutshot.com/images/featurepics/birdflu.jpg

LOL

I'm not too worried about it, at the moment. Let's hope it doesn't become a real risk though!
I listened to an interview with a doctor on GMTV yesterday, and she said that humans are very unlikely to catch bird flu, unless they keep chickens indoors all the time.

She also said that the main way of catching bird flu is via their poo, so just keep an umbrella with you at all times... lol...

As I live in Norfolk, I suppose I should be worried, as I live in a rural area, but the risk is minimal. The media hype the topic up, just to scare people. So I really wouldn't worry.
Influenza A (H5N1) is an influenza A virus subtype that occurs mainly in birds, is highly contagious among birds, and can be deadly to them. Outbreaks of H5N1 among poultry are ongoing in a number of countries. While H5N1 does not usually infect people, human cases of H5N1 infection associated with these outbreaks have been reported. Most of these cases have occurred from direct or close contact with infected poultry or contaminated surfaces; however, rare cases of human-to-human spread of H5N1 virus may have occurred. There is no evidence of transmission beyond one person.

Latest

Trending

Trending