The Student Room Group

freshers flu

i keep getting a bunch of “uni tips” come up on social media and basically every one bigs up freshers flu and it’s making me really scared. are you less likely to get it if you study from home or will you get it regardless?
Basically its cos everyone lives in dorms and no one has proper hyg (can't wash clothes, shower) also their immune systems are weakened (lots can't cook so poor nutrition, lots of partying/hang overs), if you live at home you can exclude a lot of those factors but may still get it...
Make sure to keep 'healthy' during freshers weak e.g. eating vitamins, proper diet, sleeping well and you'll reduce your chances
What on earth are you talking about? :confused:
Original post by Anonymous
i keep getting a bunch of “uni tips” come up on social media and basically every one bigs up freshers flu and it’s making me really scared. are you less likely to get it if you study from home or will you get it regardless?

I am not sure why you have chosen to study from home. If you can, live in halls and enjoy the student experience.

Freshers flu is generally a mild flu that happens with a bit of cough and/or blocked nose. It occurs due to students generally partying to really late and the weather being a bit cold. It goes after few days.

Freshers week is one of the highlights of uni life and should be embraced, if you want.

Hey there!

Freshers flu is definitely a thing but its no much more severe than a cold you'd catch at any other place and time. You'd probably catch a cold whether you're at home or not because it just transmits and that's normal. There's also a chance there will be people at uni who have it and then come into your lectures so if you'll get it you'll get it. To put it bluntly, there's really not much you can do. I doubt you can get seriously SERIOUSLY ill from it but I'm not a doctor so can't comment on that. Everyone I know that's had it, had it for around a week and it was just a heavy cold and then they got over it. Its just like being out and about on the street, if you're going to catch a cold there's not really much you can do to prevent it so staying at home just for that reason isn't worth it.

I had my freshers week just after everyone had started coming out from the covid lockdowns so I did get freshers flu but that was purely because everyone's immune systems were so weak from being indoors all the time. It was a heavy cold for a week, there was one day that I had a fever but after that I was on the mend and it was fine. I can't speak for anyone else's experience but it's definitely not the worst illness I've ever had and I just got over it. This also meant that when I went to the freshers events in second year that I didn't get freshers flu. I think the reason people talk about it on social media so much is because it is a collective experience that lot of people have faced so people relate to it. It doesn't mean you should be scared of it and you shouldn't let the fear of that ruin your freshers week experience.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 5

Freshers flu is just essentially a cold, and it generally happens because theres lots of new people in close environments and are often worn out due to either partying, or just general big changes.
But its not just for freshers :rolleyes: if you also think back to school every september people would often get a bit ill. And you can still cath it if your not on campus.

Though just have tissues, cough sweets ect. Or whatever helps you when you have a cold and run down. Also orange juice helped me :u: though in first year mine did turn into a chest infection that i left untreated so went on for a month or 2 because i was having too much fun to bother about the drs.

Hi Anon,

Don't worry, some people do really big it up but it's just a cold. It's the same thing as when you were at school and at the start of the year everyone would get a little ill. If you're really concerned I'd just check that you're up to date on all the vaccines that you need (which UCAS has a page on here https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/results-confirmation-and-clearing/getting-ready-higher-education/vaccines-students but most people have already had all of these) and have an orange or two each week at the start of the year if you want to try and control the freshers flu but you'll be fine. You'll probably get it but it'll be over fast - it's all part of the experience.

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending