The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Aired
What are you applying for? I'm guessing it's a science subject, so if you apply without dropping any subjects there's a chance that you'll be asked for 4 A's since all of your subjects will be relevant.

Applying for 25% CompSci, and the rest Physical Natsci. In which case Biology isn't needed.
Reply 21
Just to hijack the thread for a second; I'm currently doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. I was thinking of dropping chemistry and biology, but found out all my grades will be cashed at the end of this year. So I'll already have my A Level in maths and Cambridge would only be able to give me a conditional offer based on further maths and physics.

Would this disadvantage me, and should I carry on with another subject to make up for it?
Reply 22
Will you have an A level in Maths, or an AS level in Further Maths? I think there's a slight difference anyway... That may affect your likelihood of being accepted - I think it's probably best to just keep one of Chem or Bio.
Reply 23
I'm pretty sure it's an A Level in Maths. I do edexcel maths and I do all the modules required by A Level Maths in the first year, then all the modules for A Level Further Maths in the second year.

I think this is the way everyone who does edexcel maths has to do it, but you may be right it might show up as two ASs instead.

Maybe I could see my exam office about not cashing it in as well...
Reply 24
:rolleyes: Quit making ad hominem attacks.
Reply 25
That post was quite honestly not needed. No one gained anything from it.

On the flipside, your post above was very constructive and helpful. :yy:
Reply 26
Maybe so in your opinion, but I don't actually like biology and although I don't find it too hard the amount of learning involved stops me from enjoying it.
Reply 27
I wouldn't say that's giving him an unfair advantage, given they will make him an offer based on a lot more than his choice of subjects. Everyone is entitled to have their shot at applying in whatever way they like, so I definitely wouldn't call at pitiable, especially because so many people end up dropping subjects after their interviews, to focus on achieving their offer!
Reply 28
Luciex
I wouldn't say that's giving him an unfair advantage, given they will make him an offer based on a lot more than his choice of subjects. Everyone is entitled to have their shot at applying in whatever way they like, so I definitely wouldn't call at pitiable, especially because so many people end up dropping subjects after their interviews, to focus on achieving their offer!

In addition, you wouldn't want to just drop the subject, you would want to wait to see where you have offers from and ask whether the universities' offers would still be valid if you dropped the subject. To just drop the subject without consulting the universities who have made you offers would be stupid.
Reply 29
Thats why I said I would ask Cam if I got an offer...
I'm happy to keep doing it, it's not a subject I particularly enjoy studying, although I DO enjoy reading around the subject, eg about genetics.

Latest

Trending

Trending