The Student Room Group

Product Design 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
no - havent even sent UCAS off to be honest :colondollar: - thats what im going to use for all interviews/offers so thought it could help you
Reply 41
Ahhh ok thanks, do you have a favourite designer and what area of design are you interested in?
Hi!
I'm applying for Prod Des too!
My UCAS got sent off yesterday! and Brunel have received it today, how long does it take for them to give a date for interview or reject you?
I have applied to Loughborough, Nottingham, Nottingham Trent and Leeds but none have said they got my application yet.
erm yeah good luck on your interview :smile:
p.s i didn't mean to have like 3 posts on here saying the same thing. TSR was messing up so i couldn't see my own posts or w/e
Reply 44
yeah favourite designer is probably dieter rams - lays out his work according to commandments and is iconic/archetypal - the calculator he did for braun is mimiced by apple and movement wise i like scandinavian in its minimalism use of materials form and the fact its generally mass produced cheaply (IKEAesque) any one else? im applying tomorrow night so :smile:
Reply 45
For me it took 4 days for a response from Brunel, however I've only just got an email off Loughborough to say the department has received my ucas. So I think it just depends how many other applications uni have to sort through.
Reply 46
actually decent to talk to like minded people on here - only one in my school to spply for design and only a few of us do design tech - even less of them are enthusiastic to the same degree as i am
Reply 47
Hmmm, really stuck with the designer here, I generally like phillipe stark but earlier post said Brunel hated him, I suppose cuz he's well know. I am really into bio mimicry, nature and sustainable design,I don't no if anyone has come across a designer in this area have you.
Reply 48
yes give me a second i have some decent lectures on ted that are decent may help
Oh thats good, very quick! erm so yeah i found this site university.which.co.uk
and it says % of applicants who got offers
brunel - 51%
loughborough - 58%
Leeds -90%
Notthingham 68%
Nott Trent - 89%
Also FRANK is my favourite design company, company because they are made up of 2 designers Pam West and Matt Edmonds and everything is so sheek and really pleasurable to look at. um also if i do get an interview i am dreading it cause i am DREADFUL at public speaking haha awks
Reply 51
best to go with a couple of designers anyway as if its a group and yours is picked already your up a creek without a paddle
Original post by pdib432
Hi, I've signed up on here just to respond to this. I am also applying to do product design in 2013, I've applied to Brunel Loughborough Nottingham Trent, Leeds and Sheffield Hallam. I have an interview for Brunel on the 28th but am worried about the interview part as I don't have a favourite designer, and I have a conditional for Sheffield Hallam of 260 ucas points. However Leeds and Sheffield Hallam were just to fill my ucas up. Has anyone had any other offers. And what are you going to do for your portfolio for Brunel?

see what i posted about your portfolio earlier in the thread
with regards ot the interview, if you dont have a favourite designer either pick one, or have several that you can talk about. one girl on my course here said she didnt have a fave designer, and shes here nevertheless, so dont stress about it too much!
Reply 53
my tech teacher went derby - and went with a student to an interview at lboro 5 yrs back - the derby tutor asked him to draw a item from a box under the table and the lboro tutor asked the student to redisgn a lighter and something else they also flick through portfolio and ask questions about items within or current projects apparently
Original post by cookiesk8r
actually decent to talk to like minded people on here - only one in my school to spply for design and only a few of us do design tech - even less of them are enthusiastic to the same degree as i am

this was me too, i was the only girl doing dt in alevel too, but i got on well with the guys
one of my classmates at school is doing ba design now, but otherwise my class was full of people who did the subject for the hell of it really, with one exception!

Original post by pdib432
Hmmm, really stuck with the designer here, I generally like phillipe stark but earlier post said Brunel hated him, I suppose cuz he's well know. I am really into bio mimicry, nature and sustainable design,I don't no if anyone has come across a designer in this area have you.

kenneth grange, Jonathan ives (apple designer) etc etc
honestly your fave designer doenst matter as long as you have reasons as to why, i said stark in my interview and even though brunel hate him, im still here!
erm also guys, my friend went to brunel to do PROD DES and he went to america in his sandwich year and he loved brunel and he has a great job, also a girl from my school went to lboro and she went to holland in her sandwich year to work for vodafone. so both are really good :smile: and what are you predicted for your a levels and which a levels are you doing?
Reply 56
am doing Maths, physics and tech with maybe further maths - depends on workload/ structuring

maths A
Physics A
Tech A*
?FM? A
Reply 57
Little midget what r u studying and is it at Brunel? What year r u in and how r u finding it.
Alex I'm taking prod d, maths and pe, with bio to as predicted aaa?
u?
Im taking Physics, Maths and Prod Des predicted BBB but i was only a few UMS off a's in my as :/ sucks to be me
Original post by pdib432
Little midget what r u studying and is it at Brunel? What year r u in and how r u finding it.
Alex I'm taking prod d, maths and pe, with bio to as predicted aaa?
u?

im taking product design BSc at brunel level 1 and so far im loving it, theres a lot of work to do mind you, and it isnt an 'easy' course mind you, i am putting in a lot of hours as of lately, but i love it so i dont mind at all!

Quick Reply

Latest