The Student Room Group

GCSE Astronomy

My school is apparently considering offering GSCE astronomy for 6th year students next year.
Has any one done this or do they know anything about it?
Before people start going on about mickey mouse subjects and stuff, it would just be an after-school extra.
I think it sounds like fun! Especially as I want to be a cosmologist.
Reply 1
hitchhiker_13
My school is apparently considering offering GSCE astronomy for 6th year students next year.
Has any one done this or do they know anything about it?
Before people start going on about mickey mouse subjects and stuff, it would just be an after-school extra.
I think it sounds like fun! Especially as I want to be a cosmologist.

Yes, I'm doing it this year, taking it with my A levels.

Edexcel only offers this, and it is a science based subject. Anyone who says "Mickey mouse" to this, is a fool and an idiot.

It is astronomy-ie Astrophysics and not astrology as some may think the two are the same.

GCSE Astronomy, is covered by the A2 astrophysics module in OCR B Physics. So if you do this GCSE now, it may help you a lot in A2.
Reply 2
Heh, a lot of the content is stuff I'm doing atm.
Reply 3
I have a kick ass astronomy teacher. He's teaching us 1st year astrophysics stuff. And it is really interesting.
I have a kick ass astronomy teacher. He's teaching us 1st year astrophysics stuff. And it is really interesting.

I love astrophysics. :smile:
Reply 5
bono
I love astrophysics. :smile:

Go on then, name some concepts which you enjoy.
Go on then, name some concepts which you enjoy.

I haven't been taught any of it, we don't get taught it until Year 13. :frown:
Reply 7
bono
I haven't been taught any of it, we don't get taught it until Year 13. :frown:

So why did you say that you love them? You don't have to be taught to teach yourself.
So why did you say that you love them? You don't have to be taught to teach yourself.

I just take an interest in Physics, I like watching programmes about astronomy and astrophysics, that is all I meant by that.
Reply 9

How do you find it?
Reply 10
Nylex
How do you find it?

Its rather all theoritical for my tastes. I would rather do some of the more interesting but simple calculations eg finding the length of the shadow cast by the earth. etc

What do you do in your 1st year?

I'm stumped a bit on my current Astrophysics work on nuclear reactions in main sequence stars. Those ppI, ppII and ppIII chains are doing my head in a bit.
Reply 11
Its rather all theoritical for my tastes. I would rather do some of the more interesting but simple calculations eg finding the length of the shadow cast by the earth. etc

What do you do in your 1st year?

I'm stumped a bit on my current Astrophysics work on nuclear reactions in main sequence stars. Those ppI, ppII and ppIII chains are doing my head in a bit.

In my Intro to Astronomy module, we've done a lot about distances, parallax and stuff. There's also stuff about lifetimes of high and low mass stars, Hertzprung-Russell diagrams, galaxies. We also did stuff about absolute magnitude, apparent magnitude and brightness. I find it quite hard. We've not done anything on nuclear reactions in main sequence stars in detail, so I've not heard about those chain things :frown:.
Reply 12
Nylex
In my Intro to Astronomy module, we've done a lot about distances, parallax and stuff. There's also stuff about lifetimes of high and low mass stars, Hertzprung-Russell diagrams, galaxies. We also did stuff about absolute magnitude, apparent magnitude and brightness. I find it quite hard. We've not done anything on nuclear reactions in main sequence stars in detail, so I've not heard about those chain things :frown:.

We've done some basic astrophysics as well:

-Circumpolar stars
-Synodic period
-Absolute magnitude, apparant magnitude. stellar magnitude
-Nuclear reactions in main sequence stars
-Stellar and terrestrial coordinates
-Visual, photographic and solometric magnitudes
-Variable stars and the period luminosity correlation
-Colour lumonsity correlation
-Hertzsprung russell diagram
-Constellations and proper motion
-Cepheids
-Stellar evolution, and classification
-Spectral classes
-Stellar parallax
-Black body radiation (Wien and Stefan's law)
-Doppler effect
Reply 13
We've done some basic astrophysics as well:

-Circumpolar stars
-Synodic period
-Absolute magnitude, apparant magnitude. stellar magnitude
-Nuclear reactions in main sequence stars
-Stellar and terrestrial coordinates
-Visual, photographic and solometric magnitudes
-Variable stars and the period luminosity correlation
-Colour lumonsity correlation
-Hertzsprung russell diagram
-Constellations and proper motion
-Cepheids
-Stellar evolution, and classification
-Spectral classes
-Stellar parallax
-Black body radiation (Wien and Stefan's law)
-Doppler effect

Ah yeah.. the blackbody stuff (well, at least the Wien's displacement law thing) is Quantum Mechanics :smile:.

I didn't understand the stuff about cephid variables we did. What you did in stellar classification.. is that like G, O, A type stars and stuff?
Reply 14
Nylex
What you did in stellar classification.. is that like G, O, A type stars and stuff?

Yes
i'm not doing gcse physics and i've never been offered astronomy (will probably take it at degree level though)

in our separate gcse physics we did a lot of the topics 2776 listed and the stuff about pp chains, ahh...the good days of year 10

anyways...astrophysics kicks ass can't wait to do it in year 13 and for degree
Reply 16
blag dahlia113
in our separate gcse physics we did a lot of the topics 2776 listed and the stuff about pp chains, ahh...the good days of year 10

you do all that in GCSE?
elpaw
you do all that in GCSE?

we didn't do everything which was on the list but we did a fair bit of it, and we got to listen to They Might Be Giants - Why does the sun shine? (the live version as well :biggrin:)

our year 10 physics teacher kicked ass, whereas our year 11 teacher just gives us worksheets every lesson

Latest

Trending

Trending