The Student Room Group

DENTISTRY University Replies 2013 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RKurd
Anyone got an interview at Glasgow?? Any tips from ppl who have interviews at other unis ?

What is Glasgow's style? You're better off asking Leeds/Kings applicant for MMI, Manchester ones for group and Plymouth ones for panel.
Reply 981
Hi guys. For those of you who have had MMI format interviews, what advice do you have? What's it like? Hard? What kinds of stations are there? I have an interview at Bristol, and this is MMI. Thank you :smile:
Reply 982
Original post by KChops
To everyone who's got an interview, what did you get in your UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

710 :smile:
Reply 983
Original post by KChops

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 984
Ok I'm getting really worried :frown: I got 730 on the ukcat so I thought I'd have a good chance of getting an interview but still no reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KChops
Ok I'm getting really worried :frown: I got 730 on the ukcat so I thought I'd have a good chance of getting an interview but still no reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have even more reason to worry than you. A measly 613. Oh God! Well done on the UKCAT btw, in awe.
Reply 986
Original post by _HabibaH_
I have even more reason to worry than you. A measly 613. Oh God! Well done on the UKCAT btw, in awe.

Yep I'm getting worried now as well. 680 on my ukcat. What's ur situation with other universities?

Natasha
Original post by Tasha_11
Yep I'm getting worried now as well. 680 on my ukcat. What's ur situation with other universities?

Natasha

Leeds preinterview rejection so there isn't much that I can do about that. Manchester and Sheffield haven't said anything and I'm getting quite worried now but holding onto any shread of hope I can get my hands on for the time being. And Plymouth offer but its not very central and pretty far (which I got negged for saying last time lol!). :biggrin:

Wbu? News? No news? Good news? Bad news?

And 680 is fine - if there's anything wrong with your app its certainly not your UKCAT score. People have got interviews with less. You may still have a chance so just wait until next week for the smaller batch.
I've not know if the postman has come for the past two days or not because we haven't been given any post. If I just know he has come, I can stop thinking about it :mad:

aah you'll be okay! good luck :smile:
cardiff interview on the 18th! what's MMI like?
Reply 990
What is Glasgow's style? You're better off asking Leeds/Kings applicant for MMI, Manchester ones for group and Plymouth ones for panel.

Glasgow runs the MMI system. Quite worried about it now :/
Original post by RKurd
Glasgow runs the MMI system. Quite worried about it now :/

I have no idea about MMI because I was preinterview rejected by my only MMI university choice..well except Manchester, which I haven't heard from yet. You're best of asking someone who applied this year or last year (although first years will be more helpful) at the likes of Glasgow, Leeds and KCL. Good luck and hopefully someone can help you.
Reply 992
Leeds preinterview rejection so there isn't much that I can do about that. Manchester and Sheffield haven't said anything and I'm getting quite worried now but holding onto any shread of hope I can get my hands on for the time being. And Plymouth offer but its not very central and pretty far (which I got negged for saying last time lol!). :biggrin:

Wbu? News? No news? Good news? Bad news?

And 680 is fine - if there's anything wrong with your app its certainly not your UKCAT score. People have got interviews with less. You may still have a chance so just wait until next week for the smaller batch.

Lol thanks. Had an offer from kings and an interview from Leeds. Not heard back from them yet. Then not heard from Manchester or sheffield.

Natasha
Original post by KChops

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 994
Hey everyone, hope your applications are going well :smile:
I saw a lot of you asking about MMIs..
Personally, I prefer them to the traditional panel interviews as I find them less daunting. The basic set up of MMIs is the candidate going between stations with about 5mins at each and a short 1min break in between each station. There's usually one interviewer at each station, but there can sometimes be more. Depending how long your overall interview is, MMIs lend themselves well to testing a wider range of the candidate's skills. They range from around 30mins-1 hour.
The Cardiff MMI I had last year was an hour long and tested things like dental knowledge, e.g. what is community dentistry? They also tested manual dexterity (we had a practical task), ability to break bad news (via a role play), why I chose Cardiff, qualities of a dentist and questions based on testing your honesty and integrity e.g. you see someone cheating,what do you do/say etc. King's also test a range of things but I can't disclose what their MMIs have. But both unis were really friendly and welcoming!

Lots of people see MMIs as a chance to make a first impression more than once; if you mess up at a few stations don't worry too much because you'll have a few more that may go better. Keep aware of the time you have for each station, there is a timer that will go off but make sure you've used your time well. If you run out of things to say don't worry, quite often the interviewer will help you along by asking more questions. MMIs test your ability to think under pressure and mimic how unis test students' practical skills via OSCEs so it's good to get used to the style. If you have any manual dexterity things to show, try not to take anything too big in as you'll have to carry it around each station and it could be distracting. Sometimes they'll tell you not to take it in anyway so it might be worth double checking.

But in general, for any interview:
- keep calm
- go in confident and smiling
- know your stuff about that uni, e.g. their course structure, clubs and societies you may join
- qualities of a dentist
- know your PS well
- remember, you've got an interview because you're a good candidate; you've impressed them on paper and now do the same in person :yy:
- don't dwell on your interview too much once it's over, there's always something you wish you could've said but either ran out of time or forgot. But don't worry, it happens to everyone and what you did say was probably good anyway
- keep positive :smile:

Hope this helps, you can pm me or quote me (sorry for rambling!) and good luck :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 995

Thank you! Hopefully you'll hear back!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could not help but sing "Glasgow Style" in the form of Gangnam style, when I read your post. God help me if I start doing that during the interview!!

OPPA GLASGOW STYLE!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Abi.Graham
I could not help but sing "Glasgow Style" in the form of Gangnam style, when I read your post. God help me if I start doing that during the interview!!

OPPA GLASGOW STLYE!

Hahahaha :biggrin: that would be hilarious. The interviewer would probably have no idea what you're saying.
Email from Newcastle, I'm in the pool. Not sure if it's :frown: or :smile:. We'll see...
Original post by jedi-master
Email from Newcastle, I'm in the pool. Not sure if it's :frown: or :smile:. We'll see...

It's all good until you receive the deadly news (if you do). Don't worry, though it is hard to not think about these things. When did they say you'll hear their decisions?

Quick Reply

Latest