The Student Room Group

DENTISTRY University Replies 2013 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
Original post by Kalim Smith
Same man. Thing was I actually had hope with Birmingham because it was my first choice, but because they took the absolute piss replying to me it affected my preparation for the Bristol interview, and I probably didn't do as well as i should have, and then came back home to find a rejection from Birmingham...tbh fu*k Birmingham, it's their loss, absolute biased nobheads. Hope you get the Liverpool offer, you sound like you deserve it unlike some of these other candidates /dental students who seem to have been born with silver spoons up their backsides. If worst comes to worst a gap year isn't such a bad idea. I guess it's 4 more chances too get in.

''Thing was I actually had hope with Birmingham because it was my first choice, but because they took the absolute piss replying to me it affected my preparation for the Bristol interview''

You shouldn't have assumed that Birmingham were going to give you an offer and should have prepared for Bristol as best as you could. Saying that not hearing from Bham was the reason you didn't perform well at Bristol is just silly, and just reflects badly on yourself and the way in which you handle multiple situations going on around you. I'm sure you will have learned at the Bristol interview which is delivered in the MMI format that after finishing a station, you forget about it, move on, and try your best in the next one and so on and don't dwell on ones you've already done ... it's the same with your 4 choices, don't let your outcome and/or performance at one dental school affect your performance at a different dental school interview.

Good luck with your future plans and don't be a bitter reject. :smile:
Reply 1181
Original post by helpinghand
Yeah, exactly. ... and I don't know what I am best suited to!
Gah, tough decision!

To the other person, yeah, but it's all about status with Birmingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be silly, how would they know your status anyway. I understand you got rejected and it was probably one of your top choices, but you have two other offers and it's not a competition or game, all you need is one offer so be happy please.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by dreamer_
ok i understand that you have been hurt by your rejections, but quite frankly, ranting about birmingham over 2-3 pages of this thread is quite excessive, no? there's no point throwing around accusations about birmingham just because it suits you, so what you got rejected by them. you also got rejected by other universities, i don't see you ranting for hours about them? and you're not the only ones to be rejected by universities, there are many other there who have, they just don't go round broadcasting it like the world is going to end. you should count your lucky stars that you still have one left to hear back from, and for tsr's sake, let's hope it's offers so we don't have to listen to any more of this nonsense.
Also, @Roaring Lion - not all of us were born with silver spoon's up our 'backsides'
@ mr smith - i remember being PMd quite a few times for help on bham, yet once you received that help..i got no response. now that's gratitude!

Whereas our views may be biased because we were rejected by Birmingham, you are clearly pro Birmingham because you were made an offer and i'm probably right in saying that you have firmed them as well. Erm I don't think we're throwing accusations around, most of the stuff is true, we are just putting forward the fact we have been treated like dog sh*t by the uni, OUR OPINIONS. TSR is a forum? Everyone entitled to an opinion, no? I would appreciate it if you showed slightly more empathy towards us please, rather than saying " you should count your lucky stars that you still have one left", i'm sure that wouldn't be your outlook if you were in our position, WITHOUT that Birmingham offer. Oh and sorry, and thank you for your help, but it came to no use because in the interview I was slated for being an A2B male candidate, and that's from MY experience of the interview.
Original post by AbCdE.
''Thing was I actually had hope with Birmingham because it was my first choice, but because they took the absolute piss replying to me it affected my preparation for the Bristol interview''

You shouldn't have assumed that Birmingham were going to give you an offer and should have prepared for Bristol as best as you could. Saying that not hearing from Bham was the reason you didn't perform well at Bristol is just silly, and just reflects badly on yourself and the way in which you handle multiple situations going on around you. I'm sure you will have learned at the Bristol interview which is delivered in the MMI format that after finishing a station, you forget about it, move on, and try your best in the next one and so on and don't dwell on ones you've already done ... it's the same with your 4 choices, don't let your outcome and/or performance at one dental school affect your performance at a different dental school interview.

Good luck with your future plans and don't be a bitter reject. :smile:

No, I never said that. I said it would have been better if Birmingham rejected me straight away, rather than making me wait, because it did affect my mindset at the time. But I acknowledge your point and maybe I could and should have prepared better. Yh you're right, thanks man, and i'm not bitter, i'm just disappointed that's all but hope I can use that to my advantage in the future.
ok i understand that you have been hurt by your rejections, but quite frankly, ranting about birmingham over 2-3 pages of this thread is quite excessive, no? there's no point throwing around accusations about birmingham just because it suits you, so what you got rejected by them. you also got rejected by other universities, i don't see you ranting for hours about them? and you're not the only ones to be rejected by universities, there are many other there who have, they just don't go round broadcasting it like the world is going to end. you should count your lucky stars that you still have one left to hear back from, and for tsr's sake, let's hope it's offers so we don't have to listen to any more of this nonsense.
Also, @Roaring Lion - not all of us were born with silver spoon's up our 'backsides'
@ mr smith - i remember being PMd quite a few times for help on bham, yet once you received that help..i got no response. now that's gratitude!

Lol and why are you getting you knickers in a twist? If you don't like the posts, then don't read them. Simple.

Maybe the other Uni's didn't lead us on and told us straight away, I'd rather be told upfront rather than being dragged through the whole process unnecessarily. Understand where I'm coming from?

And don't for a second think I'm going to apologise or do anything of the sort for posting, because that's what threads are for.

And lmao, for the record, I didn't say that, @KalimSmith did. But he's right, only some university's give the deprived a chance for such revered professions - not all. There will always be an disproportional number of Privately educated/ M/c kids on such courses like Dentistry/Medicine/Veterinary Medicine.

It's about who you know, not what you know.

So basically, get your facts right before coming on and falsely accusing someone of something they didn't say. Oh and if certain posts are annoying, don't read them. Capiche?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1185
No, I never said that. I said it would have been better if Birmingham rejected me straight away, rather than making me wait, because it did affect my mindset at the time. But I acknowledge your point and maybe I could and should have prepared better. Yh you're right, thanks man, and i'm not bitter, i'm just disappointed that's all but hope I can use that to my advantage in the future.

You have to understand that Birmingham's selection process is in the traditional format, unlike places that do the MMI format style interviews such as Leeds, Liverpool, Bristol, KCL etc ... the length of time that you may have to wait will vary with Birmingham. Maybe you performed good, so they decided to wait until they interviewed other candidates to compare you against them. Some people on here had interviews at Manchester in November and heard back from them in March, that's the nature of the medical and dental admissions process, and university websites (well most of them) do state that the process runs until March/April time. I know you're disappointed, as am I having received 4 rejections on the second attempt, but there's no need to take it out on the dental institute. You should be very grateful they they took the time to invite you for an interview from all the people that applied. :smile:

I got rejected by Leeds post-interview, had to wait 4 weeks for a reply (not that that was an issue), but you don't see people like me slating them.
:tongue:
Whereas our views may be biased because we were rejected by Birmingham, you are clearly pro Birmingham because you were made an offer and i'm probably right in saying that you have firmed them as well. Erm I don't think we're throwing accusations around, most of the stuff is true, we are just putting forward the fact we have been treated like dog sh*t by the uni, OUR OPINIONS. TSR is a forum? Everyone entitled to an opinion, no? I would appreciate it if you showed slightly more empathy towards us please, rather than saying " you should count your lucky stars that you still have one left", i'm sure that wouldn't be your outlook if you were in our position, WITHOUT that Birmingham offer. Oh and sorry, and thank you for your help, but it came to no use because in the interview I was slated for being an A2B male candidate, and that's from MY experience of the interview.

i'm not pro-anything, i just got a little bit tired of seeing birmingham being slated for 3 pages on this forum, when i don't hear other people who have also received birmingham post interview rejections banging on about it too? (well i can name two from this forum). i was just saying that if birmingham deserve to be ranted about, what about the other universities that rejected you? clearly they MUST have discriminated you in some way to have rejected you pre-interview :O (that's sarcasm by the way).
lol oh i was being empathetic, when i was talking about your lucky stars, i meant least you have one hope left, when for others the dream seems to have already ended.
A2B candidate? i read a few posts before that an A2B candidate got an offer, so you can hardly say that you were discriminated against for being an A2b candidate?
and IF those accussations were true, OTHER unis discriminate harshly too...kings for example...just saying.

yes, you are entitled to your opinion. just keep it down a little.

Lol, you couldn't have said it any better man. The cheek and ignorance of some people on here attacking us because we state the truth is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1188
Original post by RoaringLion
Lol and why are you getting you knickers in a twist? If you don't like the posts, then don't read them. Simple.

Maybe the other Uni's didn't lead us on and told us straight away, I'd rather be told upfront rather than being dragged through the whole process unnecessarily. Understand where I'm coming from?

And don't for a second think I'm going to apologise or do anything of the sort for posting, because that's what threads are for.

And lmao, for the record, I didn't say that, @KalimSmith did. But he's right, only some university's give the deprived a chance for such revered professions - not all. There will always be an disproportional number of Privately educated/ M/c kids on such courses like Dentistry/Medicine/Veterinary Medicine.

So basically, get your facts right before coming on and falsely accusing someone of something they didn't say. Oh and if certain posts are annoying, don't read them. Capiche?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Led you on? You make it sound as if you had some sort of kinky affair with them. :colone:

''I'd rather be told upfront rather than being dragged through the whole process unnecessarily.''
Believe it or not, but the time it takes for universities to get back to people has actually got quicker of the years. 5 years ago, you'd hear nothing back at all prior to Christmas. Like I said in a different post, the UCAS cycle normally runs for nearly a good part of a whole year, most university websites have actually stated that it can take up until March/April for you to hear back from them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you were expressing an opinion on something, and then i decided to express my opinion on your views, problem?
oh and i'm not expecting an apology, what am i your mother? :P
and my bad for quoting you wrong.
Lol, you couldn't have said it any better man. The cheek and ignorance of some people on here attacking us because we state the truth is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile

nobody is attacking you, calm down. you have one person with an offer and one person with no offers, so it's hardly bias is it?
Original post by AbCdE.
Led you on? You make it sound as if you had some sort of kinky affair with them. :colone:

''I'd rather be told upfront rather than being dragged through the whole process unnecessarily.''
Believe it or not, but the time it takes for universities to get back to people has actually got quicker of the years. 5 years ago, you'd hear nothing back at all prior to Christmas. Like I said in a different post, the UCAS cycle normally runs for nearly a good part of a whole year, most university websites have actually stated that it can take up until March/April for you to hear back from them.

Kinky affair? You've obviously got the wrong end of the stick mate... You sound rather sexually frustrated to me insinuating things like that on a dental thread lol.

And ok, thanks for that piece of useless information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1192
Kinky affair? You've obviously got the wrong end of the stick mate... You sound rather sexually frustrated to me insinuating things like that on a dental thread lol.

And ok, thanks for that piece of useless information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Boo hoo, get over it. :smile:
well that escalated quickly
Reply 1194
Original post by StraightUpG
well that escalated quickly

Please G, don't get involved. :colone: You work on not dropping that cider. :P
(edited 11 years ago)
you were expressing an opinion on something, and then i decided to express my opinion on your views, problem?
oh and i'm not expecting an apology, what am i your mother? :P
and my bad for quoting you wrong.

No problem at all. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AbCdE.
Please gujji, don't get involved. :colone: You work on not dropping that cider. :P

pshtttt what ever happened to confidentiality
Original post by StraightUpG
pshtttt what ever happened to confidentiality

i just said that.
Reply 1198
i just said that.

did you though? where is the evidence?
i'm not pro-anything, i just got a little bit tired of seeing birmingham being slated for 3 pages on this forum, when i don't hear other people who have also received birmingham post interview rejections banging on about it too? (well i can name two from this forum). i was just saying that if birmingham deserve to be ranted about, what about the other universities that rejected you? clearly they MUST have discriminated you in some way to have rejected you pre-interview :O (that's sarcasm by the way).
lol oh i was being empathetic, when i was talking about your lucky stars, i meant least you have one hope left, when for others the dream seems to have already ended.
A2B candidate? i read a few posts before that an A2B candidate got an offer, so you can hardly say that you were discriminated against for being an A2b candidate?
and IF those accussations were true, OTHER unis discriminate harshly too...kings for example...just saying.

yes, you are entitled to your opinion. just keep it down a little.

Please, just GET A LIFE! You're acting like the Uni of Birmingham is your fricking comrade in World in the midst of WWII, we have a right to vent our opinions. What is it to you? If it's bothering you that much, which it seems to be, then try using that orange LOG OUT button at the top of your page, instead of searching this forum for Birmingham "haters."
My point was that I felt Birmingham could have replied to me a lot quicker, instead of making me wait 2 months, that's "MY" opinion. Key word,MY , not yours, his or hers. and how do you know that I was not discriminated against, even though I did not remotely state that? Were you there in the interview? NO. I suggest you take up some hobbies instead of arguing on here. 1 FINAL THING...Please dont tell me to "keep it down a little", who are you? My mum? EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion on here, not just you. It's called freedom of speech and if you have a problem with that, go somewhere else.

Quick Reply

Latest