The Student Room Group

Sorry, another 'should I do Law' thread!

The problem is that I will only take 3 subjects to A2 level, but when I get my AS results I will only have 2 AS grades! This is because I am taking one music module in January and I'm only doing 1 module of Physics this summer, so Economics and English Language are the subjects that I'll have the grades for.

So I was wondering if I still have a decent chance at going to a uni in London for Law. I also don't know if unis will like the fact that I'm doing English language and not literature. Anyway, any advice will be great! Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Uhm, as long as you do well in the AS levels that you do get grades for and explain the situation in your personal statement or get your referee to explain in your reference.

As for your concerns about English Language being a disadvantage for getting into good universities: I too am only doing three A-levels, one of which is English Language. I have received offers from UCL and KCL so it obviously didn't disadvantage me. For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I was also in the first batch of offers for each university. I'm sure that some universities would be snooty about it (LSE springs to mind) but I think that the majority have no problem with it.
Reply 2
Thanks a lot, actually I was thinking of applying to your insurance uni :smile:

Will it make me look bad that I started the music course late and get my referee to write that in my reference?
Reply 3
pianist
Thanks a lot, actually I was thinking of applying to your insurance uni :smile:

Will it make me look bad that I started the music course late and get my referee to write that in my reference?
I don't see why it should if you can justify your reasons for doing so.
Reply 4
erm my reasons are kinda bad. I kept changing subjects and started music after one term of doing Sociology. Then I dropped Maths and did 3 subjects and now I'm entering for 1 module of Physics in June because I haven't had time to learn the whole AS level.

:s: bad?
Reply 5
i'd say so, but don't be downhearted - put a positive spin on it!
Reply 6
damn :frown:
Reply 7
pianist
erm my reasons are kinda bad. I kept changing subjects and started music after one term of doing Sociology. Then I dropped Maths and did 3 subjects and now I'm entering for 1 module of Physics in June because I haven't had time to learn the whole AS level.

:s: bad?
Hmm, that isn't a fantastic state of affairs. Is there some kind of university or careers adviser who you can talk to? Maybe e-mail/ring a few of the universities you are thinking of applying to and explaining your situation.
Reply 8
I spose you could always put the "wasn't working, so I re-evaluated and formed a new strategy" spin on it. It shows you're determined and willing to be flexible in order to achieve your goals.

BTW, Tommeh, I swear I'm not stalking you - just seem to be posting after you a lot :p:
Reply 9
pianist
The problem is that I will only take 3 subjects to A2 level, but when I get my AS results I will only have 2 AS grades! This is because I am taking one music module in January and I'm only doing 1 module of Physics this summer, so Economics and English Language are the subjects that I'll have the grades for.

So I was wondering if I still have a decent chance at going to a uni in London for Law. I also don't know if unis will like the fact that I'm doing English language and not literature. Anyway, any advice will be great! Thanks in advance.

If it were me...

I'd apply this year and give it my best shot.

If I didn't get the responses I would have liked - I would simply reapply post-A2 results. (Universities will then find it difficult to argue with results you already have...) :smile:

Wishing you luck,
x
Reply 10
Ethereal
BTW, Tommeh, I swear I'm not stalking you - just seem to be posting after you a lot :p:
Hehe, no problems. :p:

I think that Dreama's idea is probably your best bet.
Reply 11
If you dont cash in your AS grades on the UCAS form dont you just put pending? If so then dont cash them in the you can put them all as pending and in your referance your teacher can put something about your predicted grades?
Reply 12
Quite a lot of people from my school are applying to Law so the admissions tutors would know that my school cashes in grades.

I think it's a good idea to take a gap year since I will have all my results anyway, but I will try this year. The only problem is that my parents don't want me to take a gap year and want me to go straight to uni :rolleyes:

I will go with Dreama's idea, but it depends what results I get this year.

Thanks everyone :smile:
Reply 13
pianist
Quite a lot of people from my school are applying to Law so the admissions tutors would know that my school cashes in grades.

Surely it is not a school-wide policy that you must cash in your UCAS grades?

For example, at the college TommehR and I attend, we are given the option of either cashing in or declining. So for example, I cashed in my grades - where as numerous others would have declined their grades.

My point is that it is unlikely an admissions tutor is going to consider you an anomoly to your peers merely due to the declining of grades (unless of course it is a college-norm that ALL MUST do?).

On the other hand, I have always been under the impression that it must look better for the admission tutors to see your grades, providing they are of good quality. Of course this is not possible for many people and we are told that universities do NOT discriminate against the declining of grades, though I wonder to what extent this is true. It seems odd that a person who has declared AAAA and has predicted grades of grades AAA would not be favoured by an admission tutor against a candidate with 4xPending and predicted grades of AAA, though of course there are many other factors influencing the decision.

Hah^ - Excuse my essay!
Reply 14
Its not up to your parents whether you take a gap year, its up to you. If you do, do something that will be useful to your application.
Reply 15
m1kes
Surely it is not a school-wide policy that you must cash in your UCAS grades?

For example, at the college TommehR and I attend, we are given the option of either cashing in or declining. So for example, I cashed in my grades - where as numerous others would have declined their grades.

My point is that it is unlikely an admissions tutor is going to consider you an anomoly to your peers merely due to the declining of grades (unless of course it is a college-norm that ALL MUST do?).

On the other hand, I have always been under the impression that it must look better for the admission tutors to see your grades, providing they are of good quality. Of course this is not possible for many people and we are told that universities do NOT discriminate against the declining of grades, though I wonder to what extent this is true. It seems odd that a person who has declared AAAA and has predicted grades of grades AAA would not be favoured by an admission tutor against a candidate with 4xPending and predicted grades of AAA, though of course there are many other factors influencing the decision.

Hah^ - Excuse my essay!

I suppose though it might be possible to mention any A grades that I get at AS on my reference, then put all the grades as pending?

I'm not sure whether or not it is compulsory to cash in my grades at our school, so I guess I will be checking. I hope I can put all my grades as pending, because then I could escape having to explain why I started 2 of my subjects later than the others.

kirstinx
Its not up to your parents whether you take a gap year, its up to you. If you do, do something that will be useful to your application.

I have to persuade them somehow, but I think if they see that I'm unhappy and really persistant, then they probably will let me. It's just a case of if I get all rejections or not :frown: :eek:!

Latest

Trending

Trending