The Student Room Group

Hey there, I want to go to university, few questions please :)

I am currently 26 years old, so I suppose if I was to start university, I'd be either 27 or 28.

I did really bad in school, like REALLY bad. I didn't try whatsoever and just joked about. In the end I got C for english, D maths, C history, D art (and I think that was because the teacher liked me), 4 c's ICT, D science. I dropped out of A-levels after the first year because I found the freedom was making me lazy and I was doing awful.

10 years later and I've served the Royal Navy and I've just left. I got 3 BTECs in Fibre optics and city of guilds. Some other qualifications in various things (like other city of guilds, RTITB etc)... I find I'm a very hard learner now but I doubt that'd prove much me saying it.

I want to go to university to study some courses would my grades hinder me? I'd like to learn stuff but to go back and learn GCSE's and another 2 years of A-levels? Would it be possible to go to university at all? With a chance at a decent subject? (I know medicine and law are out of the question here... But anything decent? Like nurse?) Would it be possible to give references to start uni?

My main problem however is funding. My ever so great mum and dad kicked me out of the house once I got made redundant from the navy so I had to rent out a flat. (didn't need one before as I was always away and such). How can I afford rent whilst studying at uni? I want a decent chance at a career here. Literally I wish I tried harder and school and I feel the navy has ruined my youth. I don't want to party with the other students. I just want to study and work hard.
Original post by Michaelj
I am currently 26 years old, so I suppose if I was to start university, I'd be either 27 or 28.

I did really bad in school, like REALLY bad. I didn't try whatsoever and just joked about. In the end I got C for english, D maths, C history, D art (and I think that was because the teacher liked me), 4 c's ICT, D science. I dropped out of A-levels after the first year because I found the freedom was making me lazy and I was doing awful.

10 years later and I've served the Royal Navy and I've just left. I got 3 BTECs in Fibre optics and city of guilds. Some other qualifications in various things (like other city of guilds, RTITB etc)... I find I'm a very hard learner now but I doubt that'd prove much me saying it.

I want to go to university to study some courses would my grades hinder me? I'd like to learn stuff but to go back and learn GCSE's and another 2 years of A-levels? Would it be possible to go to university at all? With a chance at a decent subject? (I know medicine and law are out of the question here... But anything decent? Like nurse?) Would it be possible to give references to start uni?

My main problem however is funding. My ever so great mum and dad kicked me out of the house once I got made redundant from the navy so I had to rent out a flat. (didn't need one before as I was always away and such). How can I afford rent whilst studying at uni? I want a decent chance at a career here. Literally I wish I tried harder and school and I feel the navy has ruined my youth. I don't want to party with the other students. I just want to study and work hard.

Some good news for you is if you have recently left the Armed forces you won't have to pay for a Level 3 qualification. Whether that is A Levels or an Access to HE course.

Bad news, you will have to work to supplement your living. There are grants available however to support you.

Also bear in mind Access to HE fees are due to rise very sharply soon, with discussion currently being that you will be allowed to SFE to fund them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending