The Student Room Group
Reply 1
VoodooDoll
does any uni actually accept general studies? just wondering, since its quite possibly the most pointless qualification there is: waste of time, easy as piss ad no uni that i've heard of accepts it. excuse me if i don't see the point! :biggrin:

My course didn't accept it, it just said 220 points including CC exluding general studies.
Reply 2
but if it's easy as piss everyone would get an A.......
Reply 3
VoodooDoll
does any uni actually accept general studies? just wondering, since its quite possibly the most pointless qualification there is: waste of time, easy as piss ad no uni that i've heard of accepts it. excuse me if i don't see the point! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Peapod

We did a mock language paper last week and I got 94%, considering that I haven't studied French since Y9 and even then I was crap at it....you can see how easy GS is...
Reply 5
Leekey
We did a mock language paper last week and I got 94%, considering that I haven't studied French since Y9 and even then I was crap at it....you can see how easy GS is...

I'm not saying it's hard - I got an A in it myself - just that the grades are still spread like with every other subject so sometimes it is a good indictaor for unis about basic skills (so I was told by an admissions tutor), they just don't put it in their offers.
Reply 6
Peapod

generally people who can be bothered to write something intelligable on the paper will do well. most people in my year at college just couldn't be bothered and didn't even finish half the paper, hence anyone who actually did the paper and wrote something remotely sensible will probably get an A, or at least a B. this theory will either be proven or disproved on thursday when i get my AS result :biggrin:
Reply 7
VoodooDoll
generally people who can be bothered to write something intelligable on the paper will do well. most people in my year at college just couldn't be bothered and didn't even finish half the paper, hence anyone who actually did the paper and wrote something remotely sensible will probably get an A, or at least a B. this theory will either be proven or disproved on thursday when i get my AS result :biggrin:

Well after completing the A Level I know that even people who trya can come away with lower than a B.
Reply 8
VoodooDoll

Both Reading and Lancaster included it in their offers for psychology last year.
I know someone who made AAAA then an E in General Paper (which I heard is just like General Studies)... how do you explain that?
Reply 10
trinigyal
I know someone who made AAAA then an E in General Paper (which I heard is just like General Studies)... how do you explain that?

Two of my friends got AAA and then a C and a D in General Studies just because they didn't try on the exams (or so they say...) It seems a shame if they didn't put the effort in because they could have easily walked away with 4 As.
I'm doing "Enrichment Studies", in which I write two 2-side essays and pass, no matter what the content is. I think it's a Catholic school thing.
Reply 12
trinigyal

I feel all intelligent now, I got AAAA C in my A levels.
Reply 13
Most of the top 20 dont take it but alot of the other unis do. Also if you miss your grades and they are considering you through clearing they will sometimes look at your GS grade.
Reply 14
VoodooDoll

I really don't c the point in studying general studies. If its for interest, then thats fine. But who has actually got the time for an extra subject which no university excepts.
Reply 15
Some bright students who attempted the paper as serious candidates got Us. Its not uncommon. Strange paper it is.

Latest

Trending

Trending